himynameismike
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Just wondering what everyone else has studied for their cultural options.

We've done Alsace as a region, and Jean-Pierre Jeunet as a director..

Edit: I believe I have my agreement wrong in the title, my bad!
gigglesgalore
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We did Lorraine as a region (purely for the greatness of their quiche!)
And Madame Bovary as the work of a author (Flaubert)

I think i'm just going to revise one of the topics for the exam...
himynameismike
(Original post by gigglesgalore)
We did Lorraine as a region (purely for the greatness of their quiche!)
And Madame Bovary as the work of a author (Flaubert)

I think i'm just going to revise one of the topics for the exam...
Ahh that's cool, which one you thinking of doing, I've talked about it with my teachers I think that writing a region would be easier as it's pretty fact based, but you can blag a bit more on evaluating the arts, so I might revise both in case the questions aren't kind :rolleyes:
fleisch09
Report 9 years ago
We're doing Baudelaire for the literature - which was kind of a mistake, wish I'd done L'Etranger, and then la guerre d'algérie for the history.

I'm finding the essay questions rather infuriating and the sample student essays were marked incredbly harshly, I thought
gigglesgalore
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by himynameismike)
Ahh that's cool, which one you thinking of doing, I've talked about it with my teachers I think that writing a region would be easier as it's pretty fact based, but you can blag a bit more on evaluating the arts, so I might revise both in case the questions aren't kind :rolleyes:
I'm gonna focus on Flaubert - Lorraine didn't turn out to be the fascnating place that i'd imagined lol.
Also, i think there might be a wider range of questions that they could ask about the region, than about an author...so yep, sticking with Mme Bovary for the exam!

I'm thinking that the translating into French will be the hardest part of the paper... :dumbells:
himynameismike
(Original post by gigglesgalore)
I'm gonna focus on Flaubert - Lorraine didn't turn out to be the fascnating place that i'd imagined lol.
Also, i think there might be a wider range of questions that they could ask about the region, than about an author...so yep, sticking with Mme Bovary for the exam!

I'm thinking that the translating into French will be the hardest part of the paper... :dumbells:
Yeah I didn't find Alsace fascinating but I think I will see what happens on the day.

Yeah, my teacher went to a course for the new French A-level and he said the chief examiner hinted that this is where they'll seperate the men from the boys as it where.

I think I need to start hammering the essay prep though as I don't feel like I have done as much as I could have, still have a few weeks yet though don't we!
xmarilynx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've studied a region, Le Nord Pas de Calais, and the work of a director: Mathieu Kassovitz. I wanted to do a writer, preferably Jacques Prévert, but the rest of my (obviously crazy) French class thought the north would be more interesting.
zinam92
Report 9 years ago
sorry im really confused. is there definitely going to be a wide range of questions, because im doing the director and the author, and i am just revising the director, because i find that that easier.
69Crazyfists
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We did 3.
L'Etranger by Albert Camus
Parisien Region
The Occupation (World War 2)

The history and geography ones are just about remembering facts. I think I'm the only one who plans to write about Camus.
69Crazyfists
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by emilysophielehcar)
has anybody studiend france sous l'occupation? Wondering what possible questions there could be!

And anybody have any possible questions for a region?
Surely you answered questions in the oral on these topics?

Well they will be similar, but more vague - like 'Decrivez trois evenements importants qui s'est passés dans la periode que vous avez etudié.' or something similar.

Probably a little more specific.

(Not sure how accurate that French was there btw )
Pinchy_Lobster
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We did Manon des Sources by Marcel Pagnol and a play called Art by Yasmina Reza. I was hoping to do some Camus or history, but the teachers decided on these. I hate how few marks there are for our actual written French and there's 25/40 for content.

(Original post by zinam92)
sorry im really confused. is there definitely going to be a wide range of questions, because im doing the director and the author, and i am just revising the director, because i find that that easier.
We were told the questions are going to be really broad because everyone's covered different books/history/play etc. There's two questions to choose from for each area. You just have to make sure to answer from the correct section though, ie don't answer a question about poetry if you studied a book. We were told that's an instant 0.
zinam92
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Pinchy_Lobster)
We did Manon des Sources by Marcel Pagnol and a play called Art by Yasmina Reza. I was hoping to do some Camus or history, but the teachers decided on these. I hate how few marks there are for our actual written French and there's 25/40 for content.

We were told the questions are going to be really broad because everyone's covered different books/history/play etc. There's two questions to choose from for each area. You just have to make sure to answer from the correct section though, ie don't answer a question about poetry if you studied a book. We were told that's an instant 0.
so do you think its just ok, if i just revise for one of my topics?
Pinchy_Lobster
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by zinam92)
so do you think its just ok, if i just revise for one of my topics?
To be honest I think that's what I'll do because I find one of them easier than the other. I can't see how both questions will be so terrible that you can't answer either of them. Then again it depends how "safe" you want to be.
zinam92
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Pinchy_Lobster)
To be honest I think that's what I'll do because I find one of them easier than the other. I can't see how both questions will be so terrible that you can't answer either of them. Then again it depends how "safe" you want to be.
snap
beccijayne
Report 9 years ago
We're doing Bonjour Tristesse and France sous l'occupation.
I'm struggling to get different tenses into the Bonjour Tristesse topic though, because we were told to write about the events in the book in the present tense. Did anyone else have this problem? What are you gonna do, to get tenses in?
academicluke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 69Crazyfists)
We did 3.
L'Etranger by Albert Camus
Parisien Region
The Occupation (World War 2)

The history and geography ones are just about remembering facts. I think I'm the only one who plans to write about Camus.
I'm doing L'etranger too... what you doing to revise for the essay?
69Crazyfists
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by academicluke)
I'm doing L'etranger too... what you doing to revise for the essay?
Tbh, not much. There is nothing unexpected they can ask because not everyone is doing Camus.
I have a sound understanding of absurdism (but I have revised some key philosophical vocab). I have sound understanding of how Camus shows absurdism in the book, and how the role of Meursault as the absurd hero is important.
I just need to brush up on my French skills and I'm sorted.
69Crazyfists
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
im just doing one... its a big risk but for me, i have no other option.
Why is it a risk?
69Crazyfists
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
because if the questions are bad for france sous l'occupation then im stuck!
They can't be bad. They are so limited in what they can ask because everyone is doing different topics, it means you can just ramble on about whatever.
Seriously, if you can answer either history question there's a problem.
69Crazyfists
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah very true which is why i am risking it but i am a worrier so i always think of the worst scenarios!
Don't! You've got nothing to worry about. As long you can write well in French and know about the occupation you'll be fine :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads