Quick! Help! Watch

This discussion is closed.
thebadboy2k1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
What 'good' university courses would I be eliminating myself having the option of taking if i took the following A-Levels:

Art
Bio
Chem
Eng Lit.

I feel that Eng Lit compliments Art but not the other two, and thus I have such a broad mix that maybe it's not specific enough to get me into anything like say Dentistry. Would you advise I take Maths instead of English Lit...or say Economics?

I've heard that I'd have a better chance of getting into say an Economics course with Maths rather than Economics, and with Maths I could also do Architecture too.

I don't want to drop Art as I'm good at it and have been offered a scholarship to study it. I know people will say take Physics for some of the courses but I can't/don't want to do it for another two years.

I'm in a bind at the moment. My Eng Teacher said he'd 'love to teach me English' as I would probably be a 'really good' or something. I just feel that in terms of Uni choices....could it possibly hold me back...due to the reasons stated above.

Someone help meeee! Lol.

Thanks in advance to those of you who respond.

P
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by thebadboy2k1)
What 'good' university courses would I be eliminating myself having the option of taking if i took the following A-Levels:

Art
Bio
Chem
Eng Lit.

I feel that Eng Lit compliments Art but not the other two, and thus I have such a broad mix that maybe it's not specific enough to get me into anything like say Dentistry. Would you advise I take Maths instead of English Lit...or say Economics?

I've heard that I'd have a better chance of getting into say an Economics course with Maths rather than Economics, and with Maths I could also do Architecture too.

I don't want to drop Art as I'm good at it and have been offered a scholarship to study it. I know people will say take Physics for some of the courses but I can't/don't want to do it for another two years.

I'm in a bind at the moment. My Eng Teacher said he'd 'love to teach me English' as I would probably be a 'really good' or something. I just feel that in terms of Uni choices....could it possibly hold me back...due to the reasons stated above.

Someone help meeee! Lol.

Thanks in advance to those of you who respond.

P
I reckon English could hold you back in terms of choices. It's good paired with certain subjects, but not necessary unless you're doing something like.. English Lit.. Maths/Further Maths would be soo much more useful for loads of stuff, including Economics - no need to actually have done Economics I don't think. Do you need to do both Biology and Chemistry? You could drop one and play around with your choices a bit more then.
thebadboy2k1
Rep:
?
Yer I was thinking Chem is gonna be a bit crap. What would you recommend?
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
History and Maths instead of English Lit and Chemistry.. or even Maths and Economics (although History might even be more useful for an Economics course) - up to you, I don't know what kind of stuff you like and don't like. I mean, languages can go well with anything for example, but maybe you don't like languages.. I'm gonna do Economics Maths History French if that helps.. I reckon that's pretty rounded. If you give up Chemistry you could just do Maths instead and keep the English Lit though.
Dark and Lovely
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
english language looks good for Law and any courses that require essay writing
Milli
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
definetly take maths.....if you want to keep art because you enjoy it..then keep it. You wouldn't want to do a whole bunch of subjects you dont enjoy for two years

Maths is a really important subject....perhaps the most important. Maths can take you anywhere...to any field. If i was you i would eliminate one of the science subjects.

Perhaps do:

maths
chemistry
english lit
art

resulting to you having a wide range of subjects......a wide range of different subjects...just in case you decide not to go into dentistry....you have art and english literature...you could go into laW.....well anything......keep your options open!

or:

you could do

maths
chemistry
biology
art

dont do english literature just because your teacher said you'd be good at it. Do the subjects YOU want to do because it is your FUTURE, your LIFE, and your GRADES.

REMEMBER with maths you could go anywhere and it is considered the most important subject.

milli
thebadboy2k1
Rep:
?
Cheers everyone...i'm thinking hard about the maths one. How hard do you reckon it will be? Like I was 6 marks of an A* but that doesn't determine whether I'll be suitable for it.

thanks again, keep the ideas coming people lol. I will make my decision tonight.
Milli
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
maths is a difficult subject......in the end it is worth it though. I'm DEFINETLY, DEFINETLY, D.E.F.I.N.E.T.L.Y considering maths as an a level.

I know people who got A's in their maths GCSE but ended up with D's and E's in their a levels. Dont be too confident. These people were over confident with themselves..........as a result they put less effort.

Think very HARD about maths! also think about yourself as an individual....like i said maths is a hard subject.....no denying that....are you the type of person who revises well?.......do you enjoy maths?

hope these help
thebadboy2k1
Rep:
?
cheers milli....i'll be thinking about it while mindlessly folding clothes at GAP
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Milli)
REMEMBER with maths you could go anywhere and it is considered the most important subject.
I wasn't aware a Maths A-Level could get you into an English Literature degree. But yes, I generally agree with what you've said.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But also remember Maths A-level is a huge step up. I know people with Bs who've gone on to get Ds and Es. You should only do it, in my opinion with A/A* and if you really feel like you could manage much more advanced maths.
SketchyCanvas~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well im taking:
Art
Maths
Biology
Chemistry

Reasons: Art i love it so i picked it, Maths very useful and uni's like maths plus i was considering Psychology, and Bio and Chem are a good combo and if your taking Bio, then its advised that you should also take Chem as it compliments eachother.
Overall, someone told me that doing Maths, Chem and Bio, most universities like that combonation and they also like a different subject to go with them, such as, Art. So in my opinion, Art, Maths, Bio and Chem is a very good combo. But it may be hard work as Art will take up a lot of time but if your willing to work hard and stick to deadlines it shouldnt be a problem
Cb.Incus
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hey,

Having a vague idea of potential career prospects will enable you to pick subjects far more easily. I intend to study meteorology at Reading. The subjects I am doing at A-level are Maths, Geography, Physics and Chemistry (the first three were recommended to me through a leaflet on becoming a meteorologist). These subjects are ideal for this particular career choice, but, I have a problem. I'm having second thoughts about persuing a career as a meteorologist, the steps involved to becoming one are both ridiculously time-comsuming and demanding.

My second career choice relies, heavily, on English. I would like to write i.e. writing about selected topics in Newspaper columns. I haven't chosen English as an a-level option, purely because I dislike oral presentations (they make me worry and allow me to become worked-up).

So, I am kind of stuck if I don't head in the right direction where my first choice career is concerned. Although, judging by the vast amount of possibilities there are out there, options will always be available to me and to everyone stuck in two minds. I am sure we will be made aware of what is open to us in the coming two years.

Good luck to everyone starting A-levels and college courses next week or in the weeks that follow.
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You need Physics for Architecture, I'm pretty sure...

If I were you, I think if you ditch English Lit for Maths then you've got a really good broad base for whatever you want to do (obviously not Classics or a Foreign Language!)

At the end of the day, you have to enjoy yourself so go with your gut feeling and hopefully everything will work out!
sugarwhirl89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You definitely need Physics if you're thinking about going into Architecture. Can you imagine what would happen if the building you designed collapsed because you'd forgotten one factor or another, etc? Scary...
Maths is a really important subject, and it supposedly makes you look like you have a "logical" and "analytical" mind. There are people in my school who got Bs for Maths and went on to do Maths AS and did fine, it just means more effort is required.
You'll need to be very organized with your work, especially because you're taking art. Lots and lots of work - very time consuming too...
And if you're going to drop a science, don't drop chemistry, because, for a lot of science degrees, it's the most important science. You don't even need biology to get into Uni to study medicine! But the Unis want students with Chemistry (for medicine, I've heard the same thing for other courses, but I'm not quite sure). And Maths goes well with Chemistry, so, consider it...
I would drop English Lit or Biology. Think about which one you enjoy more. I know what you mean about the teacher thing. Both my Latin and Spanish teacher pulled the same trick on me so now I'm stuck as well.
But it'll work out. Good luck.
Kubed
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sorry for highjacking the thread..but I didn't want to start a new one about the same thing. Once everyone has answered thebadboy2k1's questions...could you please help me? My subjects for A-level are: Maths, English Lit, Chemistry and German. Are these subjects that will leave my university options open? Thanks!
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by VeerHS)
Sorry for highjacking the thread..but I didn't want to start a new one about the same thing. Once everyone has answered thebadboy2k1's questions...could you please help me? My subjects for A-level are: Maths, English Lit, Chemistry and German. Are these subjects that will leave my university options open? Thanks!
Yes they will leave your university options open.
Kubed
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
Yes they will leave your university options open.
Thank you very much for your advice
thebadboy2k1
Rep:
?
hahaha veerHS..seems ur in the same predicament as me...bit undecided on what ur doing at UNI. problem with me is i'm bouning from one career idea to another. Like dentistry (boooring but whoes does it for the satisfaction of checking out ppl's teeth), architecture, law, something in the city...dn't think i'm good enough for med.

You can see why i'm so stuck. I wish I was more decisive. Well, if i'm wishing...I wish for...
Pixelated
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by thebadboy2k1)
Like dentistry (boooring but whoes does it for the satisfaction of checking out ppl's teeth)
Or the £60,000 + per year salary. :p:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (146)
27.6%
No (383)
72.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed