Science Vs Religion Watch

This discussion is closed.
Moonie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
So what do you think is the universe a big gas and chemical rampage or is it one of gods greatest creation known to man?? let us know! :dontknow:
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Both - God made it, and science explains the rest.
psychic_satori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When I saw the thread title, I hallucinated "Science vs. Romance," and got all excited, thinking someone was going to debate the excellence of the band Rilo Kiley.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
Both - God made it, and science explains the rest.
Science has to explain it all, in the end. No evidence yet for God.

It is just not a level argument, relgion is a set of unfounded beliefs they cannot be put up against scientific theory in any meaningful argument.
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Science has to explain it all, in the end. No evidence yet for God.

It is just not a level argument, relgion is a set of unfounded beliefs they cannot be put up against scientific theory in any meaningful argument.
I never said it was a level argument, or founded, it's just my belief - God caused the Big Bang etc to happen and through Science we can logically explain how the rest happened. I think it's possible the two can sit side by side, humans have found a way to explain things through science but how can you say there isn't someone orchestrating the whole thing? Until you disprove God, people of religious beliefs can believe all they like that there is a greater being out there - it doesn't necessarily interfere with what Science tells us. I don't believe most of the crap in the Bible, nor do I believe that God really created the world in seven days etc, but I believe in a god.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it doesn't necessarily interfere with what Science tells us.
But most of the time it does. Being open-minded is the only way to truely advance.
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But most of the time it does. Being open-minded is the only way to truely advance.
A belief in God does not mean one cannot be openminded. Its not as if athiests have the monopoly on openmindedness.
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you were more open-minded.. you wouldn't be so quick to disregard the possibility of a god existing. And how does belief in a greater being contradict what science tells us? I can look around me, look at the plants etc and know all the biological explanations for what they do and their make-up and all that, but every time, God could have created the world in that way.
Socrates
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you were more open-minded.. you wouldn't be so quick to disregard the possibility of a god existing. And how does belief in a greater being contradict what science tells us? I can look around me, look at the plants etc and know all the biological explanations for what they do and their make-up and all that, but every time, God could have created the world in that way.
To me, science itself is a proof for a higher being. All the laws surrounding nature did not pluck themselves out of thin air.
JonD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Isn't Intelligent Design a scientific theory, rather than a religious belief?
Socrates
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JonD)
There was a bit of debate about this on a thread elsewhere on the forum IIRC.
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JonD)
Well it's one of the arguments for the existence of God
soonalvin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well NOT again. I thought this topic has been flogged over and over again like a dead horse. Nothing new is going to come out of it. The atheists will come. So will the creationists. Then we can all have a big fight and end up in square one.
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by soonalvin)
Well NOT again. I thought this topic has been flogged over and over again like a dead horse. Nothing new is going to come out of it. The atheists will come. So will the creationists. Then we can all have a big fight and end up in square one.
Oops - I didn't see the last time this had happened
tommorris
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JonD)
It's a scientific theory if "I'm sorry, your honour, but Satan was at work and made me kill that child" is a criminal defence. Currently, the Intelligent Design movement trumps two basic arguments: Irreducible Complexity arguments which claim that it's a bit complicated for evolution to do x, thus it was designed; Specified Complexity arguments which claim that it's too improbable for evolution to do x, thus it was designed; and a lot of political-rhetorical-religious baggage to go along with it. Both the IC and SC arguments fail, in my humble opinion. But don't listen to me, read Talk Reason and Talk Design.

Science gives us "Sum ergo cogito" (I am, therefore I think - the skeptic's humorous version of cogito ergo sum). Religion gives us "credo quia absurdum" ("I believe because it is absurd"). I know which one I prefer.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JonD)
Not really. It's really Christianity's attempt to have another go at explaining creationism. It's a souped up and modified version of creationism, although in fact it's not actually that new an idea.

You've probably heard of the watchmaker thesis. Lots of people cite it today but it's actually as old as the hills and was the idea of a theologian called William Paley in 1802. Intelligent design was all the rage from then until Darwin came along with his Origins.

People are now taking a fresh look at an old idea but there's very little "science" to it.
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JonD)
You got it all wrong... intelligent design is proof of evolution!

Creationists are slowly having to evolve to the environmental conditions of arguments and since they have been proven wrong time and time again, the selection pressures are selecting against creationism.

Intelligent Design is an example of how creationist ideas have evolved into a modern setting. Natural selection is causing the creationists to slowly be converted into the intelligent design as part of survival of the fittest in the harsh world of the science vs. relgion debate!

Jokes, :cool:
Moonie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
i really dont know much about this subject, but to ask is to know, im sure that is some scientific quote. IF NOT IM SORRY. But i do see all of the above or pages before was guessing, and how do i know this is because i see that the main religion being thrown at me is Chrisatianity and the post is RELIGION Vs Science, and i know that the student life isnt just about Christianity, I want to know weather RELIGION is far more greater than Science or visa versa in the "life began" question.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by zaf1986)
A belief in God does not mean one cannot be openminded. Its not as if athiests have the monopoly on openmindedness.
Atheist are just as closed-minded as those who ascribe to particular religous beliefs. We know nothing about the existance of a creator, therefore it is unscientific to make a judgement either way.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I am not an atheist. I do not deny the possible existance of a creator, however we have evolution and it is a theory that fits the facts, other theories do not even come close. A creator may have designed it to function in that way, there is no evidence either way so it is unscientific to make a judgement on such an issue.

Of course belief in a religion and belief in a creator are very different things. Western Religious philosophy is dogmatic and has been proved incorrect by scientists about many of its assumptions about the nature of our universe. ID is a watered-down version of creationism, essentially it leaves a philosophy that can be so vague and open-ended that it encompasses any scientific outcome - i.e. it is pointless.

ID is also not a scientific theory, no research has ever been published on it. It has no place in the education of science as it is a religious of philosophical construct and should be debated in that context. Evolution, like all scientific theory, is not absolute and does not have a single form or dogma with unanimous backing from all scientists. This is the great beauty of science (its non-dogmatism) and there are many controversies within evolution (such as the Cambrian Explosion) that would be well worth discussion with students in science classes. To waste time giving ID a status in science which is does not deserve denies students the opportunity to discuss real scientific controversy and reduces the level of education and probably their likelyhood in being interested in science.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (162)
26.87%
No (441)
73.13%

Watched Threads