Most engaging areas of Law (in your opinions) Watch

Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Just wondering what people found to be the most engaging or most interesting area of Law?

I know the topic of "Most interesting area" is subjective which is precisely why I am asking (to garner different opinions). So far, from the people I know who are doing Law, the response has overwhelmingly been - Criminal Law.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It won't interest your bank manager.

If you are solicitor, it will seem less interesting when called out to the police station at 3AM.

The average barrister or solicitor will do literally hundreds of sordid trivial cases for disagreeable clients for every one that has any legal interest. There is very little interest in making the same pleas in miigation for similar habitual offenders or advancing similar unbelievable defences.

Most "wins" will not be because of quality of advocacy but because the prosecution witness couldn't be bothered to get out of bed to go to court or because the CPS fouled up its paperwork yet again.

For prosecutors, it is a case of trying to put criminals away despite the best efforts of the police and CPS to ruin the case.

Most trainee solicitors go into High Street firms wanting to do crime. By the end of the training contract, most no longer want to touch it with a barge pole. Most common law barristers only do crime until they can make enough money solely from civil or family.
The1truebelieber
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Corporate Criminal.

Yes, the little area that lies between the two!

<3.
the_educated1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Most engaging?

Criminal and family law. Most people will probably disagree but my sights are set on International law as the most engaging, I have my heart set on a role with the International Court of Justice.

Fingers crossed.
iwwhty
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
Just wondering what people found to be the most engaging or most interesting area of Law?

I know the topic of "Most interesting area" is subjective which is precisely why I am asking (to garner different opinions). So far, from the people I know who are doing Law, the response has overwhelmingly been - Criminal Law.
I enjoyed Criminal Law and I also found certain areas of European Law interesting. I never studied the Law of Evidence myself but it always looked an interesting module to me.
infernalcradle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
criminal, family....thats about it

my cousin will kill anyone who says anything other than human rights/international law
NJames
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unfair dismissal/discrimination employment law and medical negligence.
*Star*Guitar*
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Employment law, and Company law are what I find most interesting.
Criminal/Evidence is not my cup of tea at all.
Ape Gone Insane
(Original post by HDS)
Corporate Criminal.

Yes, the little area that lies between the two!

<3.
Interesting. What exactly does Corporate Criminal law entail?
The1truebelieber
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
Interesting. What exactly does Corporate Criminal law entail?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_crime

Think: money laundering, fraud, corporate espionage, market rigging, insider trading, enron, worldcom, etc
Dirac Spinor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My dad waxes lyrical about contract law
Ape Gone Insane
(Original post by HDS)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_crime

Think: money laundering, fraud, corporate espionage, market rigging, insider trading, enron, worldcom, etc
Sorry I was being lazy. :p:

:gah: :yy:
Robert Paulson
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Equity & Trusts, personally. Hopefully my dissertation will be on some part of the area.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I find Criminal really boring. Easy, but very very boring.

Personally, I like Contract, Commercial, Company and Trusts law.
weet_ABI_x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I found criminal law interesting but wayyyyyyy too hard. The boring ones are the least hard ones as there's just not as much to say about everything and the judges are less likely to disagree with each other, in my experience!
My favourites have been everything i did this year - property, trusts, family and tort. I hated everything i did 1st year - criminal, contract, public and EU. esp EU. I bloody hated that.
maximusbarr
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Equity and property from me. I think the vast array of answers given on this page sums it up for you, its SUBJECTIVE, which I know you've mentioned already. Some people may prefer the case-law based stuff so maybe civil law i.e. (tort etc) whereas others will prefer Jurisprudence, so theoretical. It depends on what your cup of tea is
Rybee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Medical Negligence by quite some way...
weet_ABI_x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by flugestuge)
If you found criminal law hard, how will you cope in the later years of your law degree ?
I did criminal law in my first year and have just finished my second year and thought criminal law was harder than all my 2nd yr modules except property! So FOAD! cheers
dantethealb
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Constitutional Law was very interesting (US Con Law). Also, i am looking forward to the European Union Law.
tsrtsrtsr
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ben-smith)
My dad waxes lyrical about contract law
Who's your dad?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (280)
15.44%
The paper was reasonable (1011)
55.76%
Not feeling great about that exam... (387)
21.35%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
7.45%

Watched Threads