The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
multiplexed,u are cheeky!!!!!!
i would if it wasnt so bad!!
doesnt do much for your confidence. just started seeing this new bloke, and as usual im really insecure about it, its a nightmare.
sweetie just go to a salon - trust me it will do you the world of good. If you're from latin/asian background its pretty normal, one of my closest friends who is greek gets it waxed and she looks good
Reply 22
thats the thing, im not asian or anything! totally english! my dad was adopted, his real mum and dad were irish and italian, so i spose that means i have irish and italian in me, i have dark features, brown eyes and hair, so it stands out more on me than if i was blonde. my workmate today showed me her legs and said "god they need shaving" and i felt sooo jealous cos u cant see any hairs on them at all!!!
Reply 23
y dont u use an epilator. it kills but it manages to take the hair off the root. check it out in the argos site.
Reply 24
X tara X: are they really good then? I have never tried one??
Reply 25
waxin stuff and creams never work for me but then i tried nair wax and it actually worked really well
Reply 26
thanx nabqueen, i might give that a try then.
cos ive tried everything else.
i bought an epilator from Argos at the weekend, and surprise, surprise, it doesn't work!!!
i think maybe the hairs on my legs are too short at the moment tho as i shaved them the day before so i am going to leave them a few days.
how long would u recommend the hair be before trying???
i tried a bit on my arm, and it did work, but then i know that razors, creams etc will work on my arm but not on my legs, so i do have a feeling its still not going to work.
my family are going away on holiday next week, and im havign my new bloke to stay, and instead of looking forward to it im dreading it if he sees me naked!! :frown:
Reply 27
Maybe the reason the waxing wasnt working before is that you didnt let it grow out enough?
Also, you say you shave every day. Now I know when I went through a shaving phase (thank god that stopped!) if i shaved in the morning, by the evening there would already be stubble because the hair learns to grow out really fast. Maybe thats what you're experiencing?
Be careful with the epilator - MAJOR exfoliation is required here, especially if you're going to use it above the knees. I had major problems with ingrowing hairs from epilating on my thighs so i just use it below my knees now. Love it. Keeps my legs smooth for ages and the hair when it comes out is really thin.
Reply 28
epilator didnt work then i tried it next day on a small bit and it did and i was well happy then i used it last night to try my whole legs and NOW i have really sore red itchy skin and it ainteven come off!!! only a little bit. and it really hurt!!!
i think maybe i need to let the hair grow longer, how long would u recommend>??
i also didnt exfoliate so will be doin that next time i use it!! i think its already given me ingrown hairs below the knees on my legs :frown:
Reply 29
It doesnt have to be that long, and I wouldnt recommend to leave it for ages as the longer the hair is the more painful it can be :rolleyes:
Just a few mm's should be long enough.

I think your best bet would be going to a salon and get it done professionally if DIY isnt working....
Reply 30
Is it v expensive?
annoying as my epilator is excluded from refunds too!
well i think myhair was maybe 2mm's long when i did it.. ohh i dunno!!!!
Reply 31
The epilator should work I'm not sure why it isnt even taking hair.... are u sure you're using it correctly?

I'm not sure how expensive salons are as I've never gone in this country....
Reply 32
honestly its really weird cos NOTHING works!!! it did work a bit on my leg, but then i just got loads of red spots and a rash and itchiness. i am waiting til sunday and then trying again. but its really bugging me, cos no one else seems to have this problem!
Reply 33
I'm not an expert by any means.. But the red spots, don't they appear because you've just yanked the hair out by the root?? I invested in an epilator about 6 months ago, and I swear by it now.. Hate shaving my legs daily. I always thought if you could stand the pain, and allow the growth for a few weeks (not always easy.. haha) then it was pretty succesful. Not the same for everyone though..
Reply 34
Did anyone try the new wax roll on?
Nair has a men's line that says it's stronger and it's cheaper. Is it worth trying?
Reply 35
I dunno but i used it like 3 days ago and now its still like it! red etc! And i wouldnt even MIND if i had to shave everyday, if it actually removed hair!!!
Reply 36
right... well i might try it again later then today...

I did think actually, that I might have been pressing down too hard?
do you have to do it in light strokes across the skin?? As i did it lightly in some areas and itworked but when it didnt work in others i pressed down more and thats where ihave the soreness, itchiness etc. :eek:
Reply 37
Katter
right... well i might try it again later then today...

I did think actually, that I might have been pressing down too hard?
do you have to do it in light strokes across the skin?? As i did it lightly in some areas and itworked but when it didnt work in others i pressed down more and thats where ihave the soreness, itchiness etc. :eek:

Are you meaning with an epilator now? Because I spose you have to use a certain amount of firmness, but mine came with these... Things, that are supposed to massage your leg a bit to ease the pain. So push it down too hard, and they hurt! Mine also came with a trimmer to make the hairs the right length to epilate them. Leave it a week, do nothing to your legs at all, then try it again. If it's not working, then like everyone else suggested, a beauty salon would be your best bet! If you feel its too expensive, you could maybe try a college or something, where the students do it.. It's not guarenteed as good, or with the experience that you might need the benefit of, but it'll be cheaper. And they'd have experienced lecturers around just incase. No harm in trying, eh?
Reply 38
Yeh with an epilator theres no need to push down hard....

Seriously go to a salon I think you're just not using the right technique and need to see how it needs to be done. Because I dont understand how even with shaving you dont end up smooth! Even if it is just for an hour.
Reply 39
thanx for your replies!!
i know its weird it just wont come out of the skin at all!
epliator has worked a bit, my hairnow is about 1, maybe 2mm's long.
im just so tempted to try it tonight and see if it works!
but how can i not after all these yrs (ive been shaving since i was about 11), how can i nothave mastered some kind of technique? i mean after all, its only shaving!! not rocket science!!!

Latest