Gap year after A-Levels or not? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Doom_and_Gloom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Okay here is the deal. I'm going to be doing my A-Levels in an intencive one year course at my college which means I'll be coming out of college a year ahead of all my friends of the same age. What I'm wondering is if I should try and get into a university at age 17 (I turn 17 in May 2006 so I'll be a young 17 unlike most) or if I should take an automatic gap year before trying to go to a university.

If I do try and go to university straight away I don't know how many will take me because of my age and also because I will only have 3 A-Levels and no extra AS that alot of them like. I feel that not only my age would disadvantage me but also the amount of AS's and A2's would aswell.

If I don't go to university straight away after coming out of college I'm thinking of getting a job while taking a night course in AS('s) or full A-Level(s) to fill the time and get a qualification that most universities would like with what I would have.

I was wondering what you guys would do if you were in this situation? Thanks to you in advance .
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The mimimum age is 18 to go to university according to most university sites, so it's good to take a gap year, so you would reach your age requirement. Apply this year and defer the entry.

3 A-levels is the minimum they want for most universities. However, if you apply to top/good ones, they might recommend an extra AS. Since you only have 3 A-levels, check the universities that you will be interested that want 3 A-levels.
Ardea
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I took my A2s at 17, and am just reaching the end of my gap year. I would strongly advise you to take a gap year yourself. I worked in a bookshop, went travelling and got a first aid qualification. On Monday I'm leading an expedition for my Queen's Guide Award. This time last year I could barely hold my drink; now, although I can't hope to compete with the more hardcore of my 2nd-year friends, I can at least get to six units without passing out.

Taking a gap year won't disadvantage you - you'll enter University with your year group, only you'll have a headstart on the whole independance malarky. Universities like you to take one, too, since it means they don't have to get their staff checked by the CRB. I was offered deferred entry at all of my University choices, and all the interviewers agreed that it was a sensible route to take.

To summarise: take a gap year. Claim back that last year of your childhood, and have a blast.
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Have you thought at all about possible universities or courses? Maybe try writing to a few, explaining your situation, and asking what they think. Personally, I'd recommend taking a gap year - not only are they pretty cool in their own right (whether you work, travel, or sit in the pub drinking Stella), but you'd be the same age as everyone else on your course, you'd have a much wider choice of universities (very, very few accept seventeen year olds), etc. etc.. Especially since your birthday is quite late in the year, so if you went to university straight after your A levels you'd be nearly two years younger than some people. You would also have the option of applying to university in your gap year, after you've got all your results (except any extra ASs/A2s you decide to take) - which could well mean unconditional offers.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
I'm gonna take a gappy, and get some much needed work experience! :eek:

With your age especially I'd advice it.
Molsaka G
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
About the age thing: I will only be 17 when I go to university (if I get in and choose not to defer entry), most of them will take me, as I will have turned 18 by Christmas, which is what most of them require. Would this be the case with you? For the first few months though I will need a signed disclaimer by my parents . . . check with the universities involved.
ncfcanna
Report 13 years ago
It sounds like taking a gap year would be the best option for you. You can get some work experience, and get an extra qualification. All things help whilst trying to get in. Plus then you'll enter with people the same age as you.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?