This discussion is closed.
Simplicity
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Any reasonable intelligent person knows that correlation implies causation is a logical fallacy.

But, is the other way true.

I think this is a true. Since if A implies B is a contradiction. Then, surely negation of the contrapostive is a tautology.

P.S. Saying that there is probably a causal link between everything, so in causation implies correlation is a tautology.

But, meah if A implies B is a tautology. Then, is it always true that B implies A is a contradiction. But, since everything was created at the big bang and is linked by it, there must be a causal link between everything. So then by reasoning above causation doesn't imply correlation.

P.P.S. Confused, where is Koyla.
for no reason
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do think so
Statistically the way to investigate causation is by looking for a correlation. This does not mean, as you've pointed out, that if we find a correlation there is definitely causation, but this implies that causation will give rise to correlation. Otherwise what's the point in causation XDD
Kolya
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
I think this is a true. Since if A implies B is a contradiction. Then, surely negation of the contrapostive is a tautology.
You're looking at it the wrong way, because when someone says "correlation does not imply causation", they don't mean that it is the case that there is correlation and no causation; they mean that it is not necessarily the case that if there is correlation then there is also causation. In other words, you need to use modal logic and could write something like (p \land q) \rightarrow (¬ \Box (p \rightarrow q))
JakeyTheSnake
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You could write something like that, but it looks hideous.

If something causes something else, then there will be correlation. But if there's correlation there may not necessarily be causation, see this graph of decrease in pirates vs. mean global temperature:
leurre
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think this graph needs further explanation to say that if there's correlation, a statistical significance test of the relationship of the two variables still needs to be performed. That is, in order to establish that the two variables are indeed independent of each other.
moonlight2018
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i thought this thread was about law, as in causation like factual and legal causation
(Original post by Simplicity)
Any reasonable intelligent person knows that correlation implies causation is a logical fallacy.

But, is the other way true.

P.S. Saying that there is probably a causal link between everything, so in causation implies correlation is a tautology.

But, meah if A implies B is a tautology. Then, is it always true that B implies A is a contradiction. But, since everything was created at the big bang and is linked by it, there must be a causal link between everything. So then by reasoning above causation doesn't imply correlation.

P.P.S. Confused, where is Koyla.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (10)
14.71%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (12)
17.65%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (31)
45.59%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (12)
17.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise