History of Warfare Discussion.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Just wondering if anyone here knows a bit about warfare throughout the ages. Alexander, Hannibal, Temujin (Ghengis), Malborough, Wellington, Suvarov, Nelson, Hawke, Napoleon, Lee, Grant, Jackson, Plummer, Monash, Rommel, Patton, Bradley, von Manstein, Yamashita, Yamamoto. Do any of these names look familiar to you. Do you think that the Confederates could have won the American Civil War???
B00kwOrm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Just wondering if anyone here knows a bit about warfare throughout the ages. Alexander, Hannibal, Temujin (Ghengis), Malborough, Wellington, Suvarov, Nelson, Hawke, Napoleon, Lee, Grant, Jackson, Plummer, Monash, Rommel, Patton, Bradley, von Manstein, Yamashita, Yamamoto. Do any of these names look familiar to you. Do you think that the Confederates could have won the American Civil War???

Yes, I'm familiar with some of these names, e.g. I did coursework on Manstein's strategy of Blitzkrieg a few years ago. I don't know anything about the American Civil War though.
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by B00kwOrm)
Yes, I'm familiar with some of these names, e.g. I did coursework on Manstein's strategy of Blitzkrieg a few years ago. I don't know anything about the American Civil War though.
Oh, and what can you tell me of Manstein's strategy? Are you talking of his idea for the invasion of France in 1940? or more his battles fought in Russia?
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Oh, and what can you tell me of Manstein's strategy? Are you talking of his idea for the invasion of France in 1940? or more his battles fought in Russia?
I was working on the invasion of France in 1940. But I also know that he was the German general the Russians most feared. Hitler made a big mistake when he refused to appoint Manstein as CINC of the Russian front.

Can I just ask, is this discussion just for fun or for a school assignment? I'm quite interested in military history. Are you going to study history at uni, Sire?

Either way, this could be a great discussion, I'll be back later on!
Sire
Rep:
?
I was working on the invasion of France in 1940. But I also know that he was the German general the Russians most feared. Hitler made a big mistake when he refused to appoint Manstein as CINC of the Russian front.

Can I just ask, is this discussion just for fun or for a school assignment? I'm quite interested in military history. Are you going to study history at uni, Sire?

Either way, this could be a great discussion, I'll be back later on!
well not exactly fun, this is something I've been reading about since I was 7-8 years old. I'm now 22 and have built up quite a bit of knowledge on the subject. Even bored some of my teachers senseless with all my free choice essays devoted to warfare, or the politics of warfare. Sadly they won't let me do a military history unit as part of my commerce degree, otherwise I'd certainly take the course (or teach the lecturer a few things lol) So in short, I was just hoping I could find a few people who share the same zest for this area of history. I can talk quite comfortably on most eras of the history of warfare and do hope there are a couple of people who wish to post on this thread with the same interests
Ensocopier
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
well not exactly fun, this is something I've been reading about since I was 7-8 years old. I'm now 22 and have built up quite a bit of knowledge on the subject. Even bored some of my teachers senseless with all my free choice essays devoted to warfare, or the politics of warfare. Sadly they won't let me do a military history unit as part of my commerce degree, otherwise I'd certainly take the course (or teach the lecturer a few things lol) So in short, I was just hoping I could find a few people who share the same zest for this area of history. I can talk quite comfortably on most eras of the history of warfare and do hope there are a couple of people who wish to post on this thread with the same interests
Does your interest extend to the Vietnam War?
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ensocopier)
Does your interest extend to the Vietnam War?
A little bit, but I'm versed a little more in World War II, and dating back from there. What parts of the Vietnam conflict do you mean?
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Hm, why didn't you do a history course? There might even be a Military History course, who knows? You must know more than I do in this case. I've become interested in history at the same age, but I was only interested in military history later on.
Sire
Rep:
?
Hm, why didn't you do a history course? There might even be a Military History course, who knows? You must know more than I do in this case. I've become interested in history at the same age, but I was only interested in military history later on.
well there wasn't anything like a decent history course going when I was in school, and I don't think they'll allow a commerce student to do a history course at my university. I'd be interested in doing one, but it has always been more of a private interest than anything else. The only person with anything near the same zest for it that I know is my father, and we've plotted successful changes to all the great military, naval, and even air campaigns to death. Still, if I ever get the chance I'll surely do a course.
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
well there wasn't anything like a decent history course going when I was in school, and I don't think they'll allow a commerce student to do a history course at my university. I'd be interested in doing one, but it has always been more of a private interest than anything else. The only person with anything near the same zest for it that I know is my father, and we've plotted successful changes to all the great military, naval, and even air campaigns to death. Still, if I ever get the chance I'll surely do a course.
Shame... What about War Studies? I know it sounds awfully militaristic, just like Peace Studies sounds like a bunch of hippies smooking weed together , but that should come close I would have thought. Good that you can share your interests with your dad. My dad has a PhD in history, funnily enough, but he's not a lecturers and our interests have nothing to do with each other at all.
Sire
Rep:
?
Shame... What about War Studies? I know it sounds awfully militaristic, just like Peace Studies sounds like a bunch of hippies smooking weed together , but that should come close I would have thought. Good that you can share your interests with your dad. My dad has a PhD in history, funnily enough, but he's not a lecturers and our interests have nothing to do with each other at all.
Nope sadly. All my uni courses are based on accounting, economics, business management, human behaviour. I think I have the option of a few law units, but I think I'll pass on them.
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Nope sadly. All my uni courses are based on accounting, economics, business management, human behaviour. I think I have the option of a few law units, but I think I'll pass on them.
Too bad. Keep it as a hobby then. Maybe it's better that way. Anyway, I've been fascinated with the Spartans and their defence of the Thermopyles, for example. That was amazing, 300 Spartans and 1000 something soldiers from Athens holding that strait for hours (I think) against the whole of the Persian army. In the end, all of them very dead, but so were 20,000 Persians including the Elite Guard of Xerxes, the "Immortals". Guess they weren't immortal after all...
Sire
Rep:
?
Too bad. Keep it as a hobby then. Maybe it's better that way. Anyway, I've been fascinated with the Spartans and their defence of the Thermopyles, for example. That was amazing, 300 Spartans and 1000 something soldiers from Athens holding that strait for hours (I think) against the whole of the Persian army. In the end, all of them very dead, but so were 20,000 Persians including the Elite Guard of Xerxes, the "Immortals". Guess they weren't immortal after all...
Not immortal at all. This was just a title that gave them an even greater sense of being elite. Yet in the battle, their downfall brought about a turn nobody predicted. All the Persians who saw men of the elite guard fall also felt their spirits fall. Just as the defeat of Napoleon's old guard at Waterloo had the same effect on the french forces when their attack was repulsed. Elite units are a great thing to have, but a commander should never expect too much of them, because the pendulum will never stop half way on its swing through.
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Not immortal at all. This was just a title that gave them an even greater sense of being elite. Yet in the battle, their downfall brought about a turn nobody predicted. All the Persians who saw men of the elite guard fall also felt their spirits fall. Just as the defeat of Napoleon's old guard at Waterloo had the same effect on the french forces when their attack was repulsed. Elite units are a great thing to have, but a commander should never expect too much of them, because the pendulum will never stop half way on its swing through.
Dammit, you should be a lecturer! That could have comefrom a textbook! I know it's just a title. The real elite were the Spartans in this case, they were probably the toughest soldiers of the ancient world. Would you agree with that?
Sire
Rep:
?
Dammit, you should be a lecturer! That could have comefrom a textbook! I know it's just a title. The real elite were the Spartans in this case, they were probably the toughest soldiers of the ancient world. Would you agree with that?
They were certainly good, and the persians weren't exactly great. But you must remember they won mostly because of using some brains to match the brawn. They fought from well defend and stabilised positions. The odds were generally in their favour. (Made possible by their own ingenuity yes.) However if they had been used in the manner of the persian elite guard, the effect would have been just the same, possibly more so if they'd been repulsed.
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
They were certainly good, and the persians weren't exactly great. But you must remember they won mostly because of using some brains to match the brawn. They fought from well defend and stabilised positions. The odds were generally in their favour. (Made possible by their own ingenuity yes.) However if they had been used in the manner of the persian elite guard, the effect would have been just the same, possibly more so if they'd been repulsed.
True. Shame the Persians found a way to go around the Greeks and attack them from the front and the back at the same time. Do you know the exact circumstances of that?
Sire
Rep:
?
True. Shame the Persians found a way to go around the Greeks and attack them from the front and the back at the same time. Do you know the exact circumstances of that?
Can't say I do in all honesty. Though if you happen to find out, please do let me know.
Sire
Rep:
?
What are your thoughts on Erich von Manstein? I know I'd rate him as one of the true greats, but I'd be interested to hear another opinion.
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Can't say I do in all honesty. Though if you happen to find out, please do let me know.

I've got a book on important battles in history, I'll look it up and let you know. Sorry I've got to go now. Speak to you later! I'll bump the thread up again if necessary.
Sire
Rep:
?
I've got a book on important battles in history, I'll look it up and let you know. Sorry I've got to go now. Speak to you later! I'll bump the thread up again if necessary.
Righto then, have fun
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads