Turn on thread page Beta

History of Warfare Discussion. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    probably but they also had communist officials, to shoot you if you retreated, behind the lines
    Of course wouldn't be Russian if they didn't lol. I mean Stalin actually planned to waste a million men on Stalingrad. He felt he could afford to lose about that many acceptably. I'd hate to have his conscience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    probably but they also had communist officials, to shoot you if you retreated, behind the lines
    i don't think it's just communists who would shoot you if you refused to fight...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    i don't think it's just communists who would shoot you if you refused to fight...
    no they had men ready to mow down the conscripts who were sent unarmed into the face of enemy fire if they had to retreat, not just fight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Of course wouldn't be Russian if they didn't lol. I mean Stalin actually planned to waste a million men on Stalingrad. He felt he could afford to lose about that many acceptably. I'd hate to have his conscience.
    conscience, he had a conscience, id love to have his power "power corrupts, absolute power, corrupts absolutely" I wonder what an absolutely corrupt me would be like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    Perhaps not, many commanders have used this throughout history though. Kill one man who retreats as a lesson for the rest. They can retreat and meet certain death, or fight and have a chance. With this they are also well motivated to fight that little bit harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    no they had men ready to mow down the conscripts who were sent unarmed into the face of enemy fire if they had to retreat, not just fight
    gawd that's scary.... your life was probably worth less that a loaf of bread on Stalin's breakfast table!

I remember the horrific images in the film Enemy At The Gates. Did anyone else see the film?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Perhaps not, many commanders have used this throughout history though. Kill one man who retreats as a lesson for the rest. They can retreat and meet certain death, or fight and have a chance. With this they are also well motivated to fight that little bit harder.
    hehe, far better to shoot one man in ten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    gawd that's scary.... your life was probably worth less that a loaf of bread on Stalin's breakfast table!

I remember the horrific images in the film Enemy At The Gates. Did anyone else see the film?
    i saw it, not so good i thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    i saw it, not so good i thought
    well I think the best war scene I've ever seen is in Saving Private Ryan. Full Metal Jacket does pretty well on the suspense front as well... the way the solidier just dies when he picks up that rabbit... and the eerie music during the final scenes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    hehe, far better to shoot one man in ten.
    Yeah basically. If the man retreats, then he was a man you were better of without anyway, may as well make some use of him. There is logic to it I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Yeah basically. If the man retreats, then he was a man you were better of without anyway, may as well make some use of him. There is logic to it I guess.
    of course, but you dont want to make them scared to retreat unless you are a physcopath and will gain some advantage, Stalin at *****grad. Only kill those who flee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    of course, but you dont want to make them scared to retreat unless you are a physcopath and will gain some advantage, Stalin at *****grad. Only kill those who flee
    Sometimes the message gets lost. Kill those who flee sure, I guess there is justification in that, but just murdering soldiers retreating to a better position is something the Russians did a bit of and look at how it cost them in terms of morale. I think it was Zhukov who was the first to attempt putting a stop to it. He was something of a soldiers general, much like the British general Plummer of WW1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    well I think the best war scene I've ever seen is in Saving Private Ryan. Full Metal Jacket does pretty well on the suspense front as well... the way the solidier just dies when he picks up that rabbit... and the eerie music during the final scenes.
    I loved Full Metal Jacket. I hope you're not talking about the scene in Saving Private Ryan where they attack the MG42. Watched that flick with my father and the ******* made me pause the movie while he went off at the screen raving on about how that was the wrong way to attack a machine gun emplacement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    I also love the way they sang MICKEY MOUSE in the final scene of Full Metal Jacket. Capped it off beautifully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I loved Full Metal Jacket. I hope you're not talking about the scene in Saving Private Ryan where they attack the MG42. Watched that flick with my father and the ******* made me pause the movie while he went off at the screen raving on about how that was the wrong way to attack a machine gun emplacement.
    nah I meant the opening sequence... of course the film's not gonna be completely accurate historically ... it's a film innit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Sometimes the message gets lost. Kill those who flee sure, I guess there is justification in that, but just murdering soldiers retreating to a better position is something the Russians did a bit of and look at how it cost them in terms of morale. I think it was Zhukov who was the first to attempt putting a stop to it. He was something of a soldiers general, much like the British general Plummer of WW1
    zhukov was very smart, but hey thats what i was saying, kil those who flee or drop their weapons but not those that are trying to gain an advantage. I thought it was amusing that some russians turned traitor and fought for the germans as they were safer with the enemy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I also love the way they sang MICKEY MOUSE in the final scene of Full Metal Jacket. Capped it off beautifully
    I know.... all that fighting for nothing - and just some idealistic American kiddy's war game...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    nah I meant the opening sequence... of course the film's not gonna be completely accurate historically ... it's a film innit
    *nods* saw one of those movie hype documentaries on it. veterans said it was the closest thing they could imagine to the real thing, without the huge naval bombardment of course. I reckon they did quite well though, made me feel for the poor buggers that went to the beaches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    zhukov was very smart, but hey thats what i was saying, kil those who flee or drop their weapons but not those that are trying to gain an advantage. I thought it was amusing that some russians turned traitor and fought for the germans as they were safer with the enemy
    well turning a gun on a man can cause all kinds of different emotions and reactions... especially for those who don't feel their national identity or pride for the Russians ... and I presume that Stalin didn't let any Russians have a self-determination vote (can't remember what it's called) to decide who they wanted to be ruled by!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    I know.... all that fighting for nothing - and just some idealistic American kiddy's war game...
    hehe, I just thought it was a tribute to american ignorance lol. kind of like, 'now the battles over, back home to ovaltine and cookies, with a spash of milk and perhaps some telly'

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.