The Student Room Group
Reply 1
im doing that course!
How far into it are you and how are you finding it?
JellyBellyBaby
How far into it are you and how are you finding it?

I did it at AS level, if was pretty rough compared to chemsitry. A lot of application of knowledge is required and your English has to be pretty good.
Reply 4
darth_vader05
I did it at AS level, if was pretty rough compared to chemsitry. A lot of application of knowledge is required and your English has to be pretty good.

It's not that bad! Not so far anyway :s: I found chemistry worse...
I've just done my AS level in it, started the A2 course at the end of last term.

As for how I'm finding it: excellent. But then I love biology, so... :cool:
Fleff
It's not that bad! Not so far anyway :s: I found chemistry worse...
I've just done my AS level in it, started the A2 course at the end of last term.
As for how I'm finding it: excellent. But then I love biology, so... :cool:

I feel sick :puke: someone actually likes biology:wink: I found the content intersting, especially all the stuff to do with the human body but I hate food webs etc. Thankfully I've dropped it, I'd do chemistry any day :smile:
Has anyone got any notes they could send me for this particular course or any good revision sites etc :smile:
Thanks in advance! :wink:
Any help much appreciated, i'm just about to start this course.
Reply 7
JellyBellyBaby
Has anyone got any notes they could send me for this particular course or any good revision sites etc :smile:

Yay! I did this course :smile: There are some little green books produced by AQA that tell you pretty much everything you need to know to get through the exams... Very handy for revision!

I would offer to send you some notes but they're all in paper form - but let me know if there are any specific problems you encounter and I'll be happy to give advice or help. (I could do with the tutoring practice!)
Reply 8
omg i swear some people on this site have lost the plot saying biology is harder than chemistry. The jump up from GCSE Chemistry to as level is alot bigger tha biology. Biology has the same basic priniciples you just learn things in new depths, and half the stuff i learnt at GCSE for chemistry is complete crap now.
Reply 9
redcrewe
omg i swear some people on this site have lost the plot saying biology is harder than chemistry. The jump up from GCSE Chemistry to as level is alot bigger tha biology. Biology has the same basic priniciples you just learn things in new depths, and half the stuff i learnt at GCSE for chemistry is complete crap now.

Yeah, actually, I find that a bit weird too: I found biology was just learning facts (luckily I happen to like learning facts though!) whereas chemistry involved application of principles and was in many ways a far more challenging A level. But then again I suppose it's different horses for different courses: some people find they prefer applying principles to learning stuff. And half of GCSE biology is complete crap too... (and A level for that matter; and in fact A level chemistry too :biggrin:)
Reply 10
Has anyone got any notes they could send me for this particular course or any good revision sites etc

http://www.mrothery.co.uk/ This site is really good for revising!!
Reply 11
http://www.mrothery.co.uk/ This site is really good for revising!!

spot on
Reply 12
JellyBellyBaby

At our school we are made to buy the AS AQA Spec B Biology Book (link) which is about 20 quid on Amazon. I thought it was really good, as it exactly matches the specification, so you learn everything to the perfect level of detail. But the explanations are fairly fullsome.

However it is rather pricey. The A2 equivalent is here .
0435583123 FOR AS LEVEL
0435583131 FOR A2 LEVEL MINUS THE OPTIONS

Theres are NO better revision guides.

My advise is to go over EVERY single exam paper over and over again (NO dont write it all down, just answer in your head and check the markscheme) until you are hitting high As all the time. Worked for me. Swung a 59/90 into a 88/90 for me and I ended up getting 534/600 overall with theses books and my exam retaking methods.
I'm following that syllabus and i'm in the A2 year now. There's an art to answering their questions.. you have to include the key words and terms to get the marks so my advice is to keep doing the past papers over and over and over again until you get everythign right. That's what I do.

joshdajoker, are those the Heinemann revision guides you're talking about there?
Reply 15
I did it for AS, just do all the past papers on the AQA site and you should do fine inshallah.
Reply 16
I'm doing that course this year, he he!! can't wait :biggrin:
Reply 17
I teach that course...lol!
Reply 18
aalish
I teach that course...lol!

So your a biology teacher... maybe you could help me if I'm stuck with anything in biology :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending