so if u didnt get in at oxbridge whats your first choice now? Watch

This discussion is closed.
kat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
im asking this because i am really confused and dont have a clue which uni to go to, i suppose i wil have 2 visit them to see!

what is ur 1st choice and why?
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kat)
im asking this because i am really confused and dont have a clue which uni to go to, i suppose i wil have 2 visit them to see!

what is ur 1st choice and why?
Durham, for History. As far as I know it's third for History after Cambridge and the LSE (acc. to The Guardian anyway). Great place (never been there but it has to be ), I like the fact they have colleges too and I won't be the first nor the last failed Oxbridge applicant there. It has a very good reputation (some people say it's overrated). I have yet to hear from them.

Which course are you applying for, kat, and where?
kat
Rep:
?
(Original post by B00kwOrm)
Durham, for History. As far as I know it's third for History after Cambridge and the LSE (acc. to The Guardian anyway). Great place (never been there but it has to be ), I like the fact they have colleges too and I won't be the first nor the last failed Oxbridge applicant there. It has a very good reputation (some people say it's overrated). I have yet to hear from them.

Which course are you applying for, kat, and where?
Durhams looking very likely 4 me 2, to study music, although i ahve got into st.cuthburts society which i am not 2 sure about!
i quite like kings col london 2, but i am a bit worried about the cost of living in london etc, altho it is gr8 course!

which college have u applied to? umm no wot u mean about the oxbridge applicants, its supposed 2 be wel known 4 oxbridge rejects!
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kat)
Durhams looking very likely 4 me 2, to study music, although i ahve got into st.cuthburts society which i am not 2 sure about!
i quite like kings col london 2, but i am a bit worried about the cost of living in london etc, altho it is gr8 course!

which college have u applied to? umm no wot u mean about the oxbridge applicants, its supposed 2 be wel known 4 oxbridge rejects!
So, you've got an offer from St. Cuthbert's? Congrats!!!

Yes, cost of living in London worries me too, I applied for Royal Holloway, it's outside London, but still...

I've applied for Collingwood.

I said "failed Oxbridge applicants", i.e. Oxbridge rejects.
AmyBlue
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
there actually is a surprising lack of Oxbridge rejects, i thought everyone would be but a lot of people (unless they're lying!) have said they didnt apply!!

and we have already told you how great Cuths is so stop having doubts just cos of that!
kat
Rep:
?
yep ive got an offer from royal holoway 2!

have u not heard from durham then?

is collingwood the one with good accomodation?

i really need to go and visit all my unis as th only one i visited 3 x in all was cam-not much use now!
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kat)
yep ive got an offer from royal holoway 2!

have u not heard from durham then?

is collingwood the one with good accomodation?

i really need to go and visit all my unis as th only one i visited 3 x in all was cam-not much use now!
Nope, I haven't heard from Durham. History is a very popular subject, they get loads of applications, so it takes them a long time to make their decisions I guess. I know of other people on this forum who'Ve applied there for history, none of them have a reply yet.

Yes, it is.

Yeah, same here, I went to Cam, not for an open day, just for a visit and went to a few lectures there. I loved it. Shame

I'm going to RHUL in February for the History candidates open day. Wonder what it's like there...
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thank you very much, Pencil Queen! Which course did you do there?

I'm living in Germany so it would be very difficult for me to go home on the weekends
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm living in Germany so it would be very difficult for me to go home on the weekends
Same here, except i live in Belgium :rolleyes:
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
Same here, except i live in Belgium :rolleyes:
It can be a pain sometimes, when all your friends are in the UK

Do you like it there?
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I heard that about RH aswell (that at the weekends it is deserted)...i am not liking that :mad:
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It can be a pain sometimes, when all your friends are in the UK

Do you like it there?
it helps, as i don't have any friends in the UK (never lived there!), but out of all the countries i've lived in (4), Belgium is definately the best, it rocks!!!
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
I heard that about RH aswell (that at the weekends it is deserted)...i am not liking that :mad:
Well, see you at the open day!!!

If it's really that bad then I can only hope to God that Durham will take me...
lilsunflower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Rejected by Cambridge. Off to Nottingham for Law. Durham will probably be a 2nd option.

Why Notts? The ABB offer which effectively means I need CEEUU for next year. It's pretty high up on the league tables, they're giving me a 1000 pounds bursary for being Malaysian.... and it's supposedly pretty.

Opinions?

Oooh.. and Durham is too cold.
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
it helps, as i don't have any friends in the UK (never lived there!), but out of all the countries i've lived in (4), Belgium is definately the best, it rocks!!!
Where else have you lived? I lived in France for 5 years (ten years ago this summer ) I had a great time there.
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Where else have you lived? I lived in France for 5 years (ten years ago this summer ) I had a great time there.
i lived in Indonesia for 3 years, and Sweden for 41/2 and Paris for 3 and now belgium for about 5 years....
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
i lived in Indonesia for 3 years, and Sweden for 41/2 and Paris for 3 and now belgium for about 5 years....
Where in Paris did you live?
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Where in Paris did you live?
thats a question and a half, i was four, sorry can't remember :rolleyes:
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Don't get too downhearted - I don't want to put anyone off...just put *everyone* visiting uni's on their guard against letting their imagination run away with them. You may find RH to be perfect for you...or you may prefer the more integrated with the city feel of durham...or you may decide another university suits you best.

I'm sure you will be absolutely fine
Thanks Feeling better now

What are your thoughts on Durham and Nottingham?
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
Sounds very nice & interesting!!! Are your parents diplomats or something?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (475)
59.38%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.38%
No- I want it (229)
28.63%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.63%

Watched Threads