colour crisis Watch

This discussion is closed.
Apricot Fairy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I've recently bought a few new clothes, but I need some more. I know what styles suit me but I need a bit of advice about colours!

1) My coat is pale grey - what colour scarf and gloves would look good?

2) All my new tops are blue and black! I need to wear some other colours - what colours are in this autumn?

Thanks x
Dark and Lovely
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
are u a girl if so with the grey coat-u could go with pink for the scarf and gloves if not another shade of grey would do

colours this season-navy blue if u dont already have that and umm reds
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Everything I own is blue! Apart from the grey coat...
Mata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
1) Black, chocolate brown, folk-inspired prints? Pale grey is versatile... sky blue might work quite well.

2) Well, blue and black are in right now, so you're already on the right track. 'Jewel' colours are in, to go with the 'victorian' and 'glamour' trends, e.g. garnet, ruby, turqoise, midnight blue, purple/aubergine. If you like green then maybe avacado, olive, forest through to (again) the jewel colours like emerald.

Or if you want to expand through texture... lace, velvet, corduroy, suede and even shiny fabrics.

(I love talking about fabrics... its a sickness, really)
Dark and Lovely
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
beige is in
.Laura. <3
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
1) Black, chocolate brown, folk-inspired prints? Pale grey is versatile... sky blue might work quite well.

2) Well, blue and black are in right now, so you're already on the right track. 'Jewel' colours are in, to go with the 'victorian' and 'glamour' trends, e.g. garnet, ruby, turqoise, midnight blue, purple/aubergine. If you like green then maybe avacado, olive, forest through to (again) the jewel colours like emerald.

Or if you want to expand through texture... lace, velvet, corduroy, suede and even shiny fabrics.

(I love talking about fabrics... its a sickness, really)
Wow, you really know your stuff! How did u get so damn knowledgable!? :p:
Mata
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by loradora68)
Wow, you really know your stuff! How did u get so damn knowledgable!? :p:
I read way too many magazines (seriously, my friends have started trying to stop me). Oh, and then I read the American versions.

As I say, its a sickness.
.Laura. <3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
I read way too many magazines (seriously, my friends have started trying to stop me). Oh, and then I read the American versions.

As I say, its a sickness.
Lol, you sound like the kind of person I need when shopping - I'm an absolute disaster at picking out a cool outfit - I'd love to be really quirky and individual but I'm scared I'd end up looking stupid! :p: Don't you sometimes just stare in awe at mannequins lol?! Co-ordinating accessories and everything....
Mata
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lol, you sound like the kind of person I need when shopping - I'm an absolute disaster at picking out a cool outfit - I'd love to be really quirky and individual but I'm scared I'd end up looking stupid! :p: Don't you sometimes just stare in awe at mannequins lol?! Co-ordinating accessories and everything....
No, I totally know what you mean. The mannequins always look so perfect and you think "I want to look like that" but its impossible... damn prices.

I'm always afraid to look stupid as well, but if you don't have failures then you never have successes. If you're scared of looking stupid, just impulse buy. Seriously, find something you like that's a bit wacky, and impulse buy it. If you decide its too much then you can take it back, but once its at home you're less likely to want to let it go.

My latest impulse buy is a pair of linen-silk knickerbockers which were ridiculously expensive (though on sale) and bought in wales, so can't even take them back. But I'm sure they'll work...
.Laura. <3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
No, I totally know what you mean. The mannequins always look so perfect and you think "I want to look like that" but its impossible... damn prices.

I'm always afraid to look stupid as well, but if you don't have failures then you never have successes. If you're scared of looking stupid, just impulse buy. Seriously, find something you like that's a bit wacky, and impulse buy it. If you decide its too much then you can take it back, but once its at home you're less likely to want to let it go.

My latest impulse buy is a pair of linen-silk knickerbockers which were ridiculously expensive (though on sale) and bought in wales, so can't even take them back. But I'm sure they'll work...
Wow, what are you planning to wear with them?
Mata
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wow, what are you planning to wear with them?
So far?

Erm... ahem...

I have a pair of silver pumps that might go, a black top, a white top, a couple of skinny-fit black jumpers. That's about it.

Christ, I don't even have a coat that will go. Aha, yes I do, black faux-fur, genius moi.

Yeah. Shouldn't have bought them. Ah well!
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by susiemakemeblue)
I've recently bought a few new clothes, but I need some more. I know what styles suit me but I need a bit of advice about colours!

2) All my new tops are blue and black! I need to wear some other colours - what colours are in this autumn?

Thanks x
Well, you'll want things that go with blue and black. White will go well. The grey coat should work with most colour really, but I think some bold colours will work best to avoid it from looking dull in winter. Light pink has already been suggested, but of course that does not really go all that well with blue. It's ok with certain shades, but not all.
White goes very well with blue and black, as does a very dark brown.

It really depends on the shade of blue. I think that a navy blue and black can look very good with a grey coat and a yellow scarf and matching gloves. It doesn't look quite that good with a light blue though... it works best if both the blue and the yellow and bold and highly saturated.

A chocolate brown scarf and gloves would most certainly go colour wise, but may be a bit plain, unless you can find a chocolate brown scarf with some ethnic, blue stitching on it. Maybe something from an Asian shop?
.Laura. <3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
So far?

Erm... ahem...

I have a pair of silver pumps that might go, a black top, a white top, a couple of skinny-fit black jumpers. That's about it.

Christ, I don't even have a coat that will go. Aha, yes I do, black faux-fur, genius moi.

Yeah. Shouldn't have bought them. Ah well!
Ooooh cool, I was thinkin of gettin these silver pumps I've been eyeing in New Look and maybe some black skinny jeans - will they be 'in' for much longer? xx
Mata
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ooooh cool, I was thinkin of gettin these silver pumps I've been eyeing in New Look and maybe some black skinny jeans - will they be 'in' for much longer? xx
Skinny jeans I think you can wear for the whole winter and into spring... black is always a good bet as its not 'out' even when it isn't 'in'.

They'd look great with silver pumps... *wish I could wear skinny jeans*
~Raven~
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Mata reading your responses makes me feel like a complete fashion disaster!
I live in jeans and combats, and I end up looking quite punky when I try and go smart!
Colourwise susiemakemeblue, I'd go for a really rich dark reds with grey but I don't know if they're 'in', I just know they'd look really nice!
Mata
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~Raven~)
I live in jeans and combats, and I end up looking quite punky when I try and go smart!
Some people pay a lot of money to look punky. Bottle it and sell it!

If you want to look smarter... a lot of it is in cut and texture/material. As an alternative to combats, maybe knee length city-shorts? I always think that they're casual, but cut well enough that they look very classy.

Edit: although, on thinking about it, I can see why some people would absolutely loath city-shorts. Women going around looking like girl scouts... only in fashion.
pheebs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i have a grey jacket and think that multi coloured stripey scarves and gloves go well with it as they add a splash of colour.
~Raven~
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
Some people pay a lot of money to look punky. Bottle it and sell it!

If you want to look smarter... a lot of it is in cut and texture/material. As an alternative to combats, maybe knee length city-shorts? I always think that they're casual, but cut well enough that they look very classy.

Edit: although, on thinking about it, I can see why some people would absolutely loath city-shorts. Women going around looking like girl scouts... only in fashion.
well, I think they actually look quite good, but on taller people than me I reckon.
Now you mention it though... I can see how the girl scout similarity would be majorly off-putting.
.Laura. <3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
Skinny jeans I think you can wear for the whole winter and into spring... black is always a good bet as its not 'out' even when it isn't 'in'.

They'd look great with silver pumps... *wish I could wear skinny jeans*
Heey Mata, just to tell you i went shopping today and got not skinny jeans but cords... and I got the silver pumps! Yay! Thanks for your advice they look fab xx :tsr:
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by susiemakemeblue)

Thanks x
1) i don't think that there is anything that can't be worn with pale grey. well, i hope there isn't, my only pair of surviving jeans are grey, so they get outings with everything i own... anyway, yeh, you could get away with anything there, although for the sake of variety i'd advise warmer colours (pinks, reds, rich greens/purples/whatever other colours there are), because grey + black + blue is kind of a cold colour palette, if you see what i mean. ooooh, and wear a bit of sparkly stuff! (sorry, i'm like a magpie). sparkly stuff would make grey look, erm, sparklier.

2) no idea.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads