The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
hmm - Oriel rowers = perhaps not the best example of well balanced & well mannered boaties. (even H&E might agree with me?)

did you go on the cheerleading - rugby date though? are rugby boys better behaved..? :p:

on an H&E note - is there also a correlation between being a more hardcore uni rower & being from one of those 'backgrounds' that makes a city-esque job likely anyway..? :wink:
Reply 81
vellerindombur
Could anyone come up with useful criteria for picking one of the universities over the other? I'm applying for English and have found two colleges I really like; Keble, which typifies many of the things I like about Oxford, and St John's which has amazing tutors and seems like it would provide me with the best possible time if I got an offer from Cambridge.

I'm mildly suprised no-one has pointed this out yet, but you'd rather be at Oxford than at John's.
Reply 82
ProzacNation
I always wonder why people presume I am a guy, particularly since I have admitted to being on the Cheerleading team :confused:

It might be the name. When I think of Prozac I think of depression, and when I think of depression I think of guys.

Call yourself FluoxetineNation - that way, no one* will know what your name means and unconsciously assume you are a depressed male. :wink:

* Apart from Elles and Helenia
Reply 83
And apart from me - my dad is a medic :p:
Reply 84
Some people like me just know which one to choose. For example, I will def choose Cam over Oxford, one reason being the way cool NatSci course!
Reply 85
ProzacNation
I always wonder why people presume I am a guy, particularly since I have admitted to being on the Cheerleading team :confused:

I always wonder why people presume I assumed they're straight, particularly those who've admitted to being on the Cheerleading team :confused:
Reply 86
H&E
I always wonder why people presume I assumed they're straight, particularly those who've admitted to being on the Cheerleading team :confused:

LOL
Reply 87
H&E

This would work better if prozac had gotten mad at you for assuming she was a girl trying to pull a guy than a guy trying to pull a girl since I doubt that cheerleading has a lesbian vibe about it.

(too bad there's no emoticon for :convolutedsentence: )
Reply 88
zoraster
This would work better if prozac had gotten mad at you for assuming she was a girl trying to pull a guy than a guy trying to pull a girl since I doubt that cheerleading has a lesbian vibe about it.

(too bad there's no emoticon for :convolutedsentence: )

:thrasher: bill and ted style is what you want...
Reply 89
So, I know you're a Liverpool supporter because of your fantasy team I'm crushing now, Steve, but is there no place in your heart for Wigan?
Reply 90
zoraster
So, I know you're a Liverpool supporter because of your fantasy team I'm crushing now, Steve, but is there no place in your heart for Wigan?

Wigan is very close to my heart. the warriors (rugby league) more than the latics (football). In wigan, one tends to either be a fan of one or the other, creating an internal rivalry... why do you ask?
Reply 91
just curious. and it gave me an opportunity to bring up my lead of 60 points :wink: -- which will promptly be lost due to Terry getting hurt. ahem. back on topic.
Reply 92
zoraster
just curious. and it gave me an opportunity to bring up my lead of 60 points :wink: -- which will promptly be lost due to Terry getting hurt. ahem. back on topic.

yeh. bummer on the john terry front. twas a shame last week 4 of my first choice players werent playing. had to make do with 3 subs a 0 and a negative :s luckily i have a now have semi decent replacement defender...
and being a warrior (or Riversider as we were known before ruby league got yankified) i refuse to explain the presence of three latics players in my team...
Reply 93
<moves in to group hug with Elles> No one else? Oh well :biggrin: :eek: :wink:

And Willa, I'm not talking about the substance of your original post, but the way you did it, but youve apologised blah blah so I'll shut up. For now. Mwah ha ha ah aha h
Reply 94
H&E
What the hell does that mean?

It means that instead of discussing anything remotely related to the topic, a couple of members are turning the thread into a debate on something else
Reply 95
Oh, yah, H&E: If Oxford had lost, I probably would've picked them anyway. But as it stands, I have a simple excuse. :smile:
Reply 96
Bekaboo
It means that instead of discussing anything remotely related to the topic, a couple of members are turning the thread into a debate on something else

Well why call it thread whoring? Thread jacking/napping I'd understanding. But it's not like we're selling it off on street corners.

Anyway, nothing wrong with developing a thread as it goes. Way I see it, so long as people give the thread a chance to get going on topic (say, a page or two, as happened in this case) they can respond how they like once it stagnates. If anyone has any valuable contributions to make on topic, there's nothing stopping them.

If every post was on topic, this place would be far less interesting than it is. Who knows, maybe all us current students who provide a near constant stream of answers to almost every conceivable question regarding to undergraduate studies at Oxford wouldn't be here...
Speaking of the topic, I think I've found away to get closer to making a decision. a teacher of mine suggested I got to this company, Oxbridge Applications, and get their help but as it turns out the service only applies for colleges in either Oxford or Cambridge and it's £60 a pop so I wasn't in the mood to pay for advice on both universities and when I was put on the spot and asked to decide in less than a minute I chose Oxford. It was then that I realised that my dilemma stemmed from the fact that I really like St John’s in Cambridge but in general I prefer Oxford.
Reply 98
Well surely College is gonna be more significant - so Cambridge?!!
Reply 99
Why pay £60 when we could tell you on here for free? They'll be able to tell you no more than we can on here. All they have is a bunch of grads giving you advice. Here you have current students...

Latest