Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    I would have also thought around £16-18k would be the average, as theres are loads of low paying jobs and the average is also pushed up by those earning £80k+ and who work in the City.
    Yeah I think that £22k figure is the mean average, but the mode average is probably much more like £16-£18k.

If you have a £20k job you are considered to have a well paid job.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by john williams)
    I would have also thought around £16-18k would be the average, as theres are loads of low paying jobs and the average is also pushed up by those earning £80k+ and who work in the City.
    That's why the ONS deal with the median not the mean average

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/STATBAS...eets/D7935.xls

(weekly pay averages by region over the last 12 years or so and split by male female)

The UK average might be £24,142 but the male average is £26,332 and the female average only £20,649.

(note this is only looking at full time employees - add in the part timers and look at hourly pay and it drops quite significantly)

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine it would be a low figure because large parts of the country have very low wages. In Cornwall, the average wage is like £10k-12k!

I reckon it would be about £16k-18k as John says above.

ReputationRep:
    As with every governmental statsitic there is no universally correct answer.

ReputationRep:
    age and sex counts for a lot too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    Oh come on, where on earth is the average salary £15k???

I'd say in the UK it's around 22-35, depending where you go...
    Err... my Dad is a graduate in a graduate position at a language college and earns £15k. He also works in "the City" (Piccadilly) and his degree is in German (supposedly one of the most successful degrees in terms of employment). I hate how middle-class people live in their bubbles of suburbia, thinking their life is average and everything else can't be quite right.

As has previously been noted here, £16k is the average salary for a graduate (sorry to disappoint you with your hopes of earning £100k straight out of Uni; you'll have to be living off your parents' savings for a while yet) and I'd expect the average for someone of the same age without a degree or in a position of unskilled labour (lower rungs of retail, etc) to be around £12-14k. I don't where you get your estimates from.

ReputationRep:
    my dad earns 50k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    my dad earns 50k
    Er, what is the relevance of that? The example of my Dad was relevant to show that working in "the City", types of degree (and indeed a degree at all) etc don't guarantee one a brilliant income. Your post had no point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addict)
    Doctors usually work for the NHS, unless they are very good(ie, best in their field) and go private, when they usually earn £200k+ pa.
    My uncle is GP, and he only earns £45k pa, which is pathetic for the amount of work he has to do.
    how come.i think i ve seen some news and they said the average for gps was 100 grand a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yelwalkietalkie)
    Err... my Dad is a graduate in a graduate position at a language college and earns £15k. He also works in "the City" (Piccadilly) and his degree is in German (supposedly one of the most successful degrees in terms of employment). I hate how middle-class people live in their bubbles of suburbia, thinking their life is average and everything else can't be quite right.
    lol...Piccadilly is not 'the city'. They mean the actual city...like the city of london, where all the banks and huge corporate firms are.

ReputationRep:
    Er, what is the relevance of that? The example of my Dad was relevant to show that working in "the City", types of degree (and indeed a degree at all) etc don't guarantee one a brilliant income. Your post had no point.
    the thread mentioned the number 50k, so i chipped in. Why not, after all?

Anyhow it doesnt matter really... i dont live with him...or havent seen him for 6 months....

ReputationRep:
    If a school leaver can get a job paying £18,000, then two school leavers who move in together could potentially be on around £35,000 between them. How can the national average be that low? I might sound naive, but how do people live on that little?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    If a school leaver can get a job paying £18,000, then two school leavers who move in together could potentially be on around £35,000 between them. How can the national average be that low? I might sound naive, but how do people live on that little?
    They don't - I read an article in The Guardian not long ago saying that the average person has £11,000 debt - not including mortgages etc obviously. So they don't *live* on that little, they borrow.

ReputationRep:
    Er.. £35k is just about my family's combined income and we do okay. We don't have a big house, we do have a fair amount of debt (doesn't everyone have that though?) and Daddy hasn't bought me a car or designer clothing, but I have all I need.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not saying a family income of £35k is low....

I'm saying a couple of school leavers could be on that, so how come the national average is in the low 20s? Sorry for not making myself clearer!

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not saying a family income of £35k is low....

I'm saying a couple of school leavers could be on that, so how come the national average is in the low 20s? Sorry for not making myself clearer!
    A £35k family income sure sounds low to me.

If you have a family income of 35k you're in an unfortunate position really, the government won't help you with anything because they feel you are well-off enough, despite slipping the margin only slightly...

For a family of 4, an income of 40k at the least would be good enough, but about 50k would be more adequate...

And I have no idea what my family income is, my parents don't have fixed incomes, it depends entirely on the business climate... Ah thats caused a few arguments over the years lol.

ReputationRep:
    Someone mentioned that their dad (a graduate) is working in London for 18k? That's not normal - my friend Dave has just graduated and is starting on 40k plus benefits! That's probably high, but I'd say average grad. starting salary in London is mid-twenties!

ReputationRep:

As has previously been noted here, £16k is the average salary for a graduate (sorry to disappoint you with your hopes of earning £100k straight out of Uni; you'll have to be living off your parents' savings for a while yet) and I'd expect the average for someone of the same age without a degree or in a position of unskilled labour (lower rungs of retail, etc) to be around £12-14k. I don't where you get your estimates from.
    I hate to tell you, but if you're dad is a qualified teacher, then your from a middle-class background, regardless of how much he actually earns. So you're class-warfare will have to wait a while...

And also, "the City" isn't a strictly geographical reference, but a reference to what type of work, and with who you do it with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    A £35k family income sure sounds low to me.
    It's pretty high actually, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarkey_Berlin)
    but I'd say average grad. starting salary in London is mid-twenties!
    Definately.

Probably even higher if you only measure the square mile.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.