Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    looking at my school, it appears there are much more oxford applicants each year

ReputationRep:
    tenuously related.
    http://www.ucas.com/figures/index.html
    you can run statistical enquries.

oodles of fun for the extreme procrastinator. or person who goes to extreme lengths to take apart people who make rash, inaccurate statements, especially when they present them as fact.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    tenuously related.
    http://www.ucas.com/figures/index.html
    you can run statistical enquries.
    Cool! And me being exceptionally bored, using the above URL I can tell you (provided I figured out how to use it correctly...):

Cambridge Applications/Offers
    15045/3326

Oxford Applications/Offers
    13251/3225

Or offers as a fraction of applications:
    Cambridge 22.1%
    Oxford 24.3%

There ya go. Everyone should apply to Oxford, its easier to get into! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alewhey)
    Cool! And me being exceptionally bored, using the above URL I can tell you (provided I figured out how to use it correctly...):

Cambridge Applications/Offers
    15045/3326

Oxford Applications/Offers
    13251/3225

Or offers as a fraction of applications:
    Cambridge 22.1%
    Oxford 24.3%

There ya go. Everyone should apply to Oxford, its easier to get into! :rolleyes:
    There ya go. Everyone should apply to Cambridge, its easier to get into! :rolleyes:

As obviously your competition at Oxford will be stronger.

ReputationRep:
    My school had 'stronger links' with Cambridge so most people apply there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProzacNation)
    My school had 'stronger links' with Cambridge so most people apply there.
    In my school, the top people in the year applied to Cambridge, whilst loads of "jocks" who were just trying their luck applied to Oxford. At the time, this just cemented my opinion that I didn't want to go to Oxford :p:

P.S. Most of the jocks didn't get in, so Oxford has nothing to be ashamed of. It still affected my perceptions of the place for a while, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    In my school, the top people in the year applied to Cambridge, whilst loads of "jocks" who were just trying their luck applied to Oxford. At the time, this just cemented my opinion that I didn't want to go to Oxford :p:

P.S. Most of the jocks didn't get in, so Oxford has nothing to be ashamed of. It still affected my perceptions of the place for a while, though.
    Lol, thats fair enough. I was advised not to apply at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProzacNation)
    Lol, thats fair enough. I was advised not to apply at all!
    That's harsh. You proved yourself though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    Oxford is more renown globally.
    No, it's more renowned in America. There are other countries in the world than America. Anyway, we're talking about how many people apply to each institution. What people think about the unis is not the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    No, it's more renowned in America. There are other countries in the world than America.
    One of my parents is from East Asia and believes that Oxford is more renowned, which is partly why I have that idea. Oxford is more renowned in Asia as well from my knowledge...

ReputationRep:
    Emily87..thanks for the negative reputation...Next time, try to be more suave about your anonymity...

and please sign in future.

Thanks for the "advice"....hope you actually get into a good university, cough. (If you choose different A-levels there might be a possibility...probably not English lit&lang since that's the easy way out compared to English lit, and also not Music. Also you should do further maths not just basic maths....Hope this helps you and you can continue correcting people anonymously in future like a cobarte....)(hacking cough)

ReputationRep:
    One of my parents is from East Asia and believes that Oxford is more renowned, which is partly why I have that idea. Oxford is more renowned in Asia as well from my knowledge...
    I have plenty of Asian friends and their beliefs are at odds with your parent's. I have seen this debate on other internet forums and most people acknowledge that Cambridge has a better reputation in Asia, mainly because some high profile Asians have studied in Cambridge. It's a stupid reason, but global renown is built on stupid reasons. Oxford only has the reputation it does in America because of the Rhodes scholarships.

ReputationRep:
    Let's not start this one again shall we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Let's not start this one again shall we?
    I did try to stop it. I tried! I'm not going to stand by and let someone talk nonsense though.

ReputationRep:
    Er. I guess it differs from country to country? My country has quite a few politicians from Cambridge and that's why it's viewed as more prestigious. On the other hand I've heard that Oxford has a better reputation in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    In my school last year... 3 of us applied to Cambridge and 5 to Oxford of whom just 3 got interviews (of Oxford) and one an offer... of Cambridge us 3 interview but no offers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wei_xin)
    Er. I guess it differs from country to country? My country has quite a few politicians from Cambridge and that's why it's viewed as more prestigious. On the other hand I've heard that Oxford has a better reputation in Britain.
    The general opinion in Britain (simplistic as it is) is that Oxford produces the best politicians and Cambridge produces the best scientists. It's rather outdated, but I'm sure it'll remain so for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Emily87..thanks for the negative reputation...Next time, try to be more suave about your anonymity...

and please sign in future.

Thanks for the "advice"....hope you actually get into a good university, cough. (If you choose different A-levels there might be a possibility...probably not English lit&lang since that's the easy way out compared to English lit, and also not Music. Also you should do further maths not just basic maths....Hope this helps you and you can continue correcting people anonymously in future like a cobarte....)(hacking cough)
    nothing wrong with music. And there is no need to do further maths either. I think doing music a level would actually increase your chances of getting into a good university and it shows you're clever all round rather than just a maths gimp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordofthepies)
    your clever all round rather than just a maths gimp.
    We tend to be OK at physics and stuff as well :rolleyes: . (And, loathe as I am to point out grammatical errors on the interweb, I, and many other maths types, do know the difference between your and you're )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mop)
    We tend to be OK at physics and stuff as well :rolleyes: . (And, loathe as I am to point out grammatical errors on the interweb, I, and many other maths types, do know the difference between your and you're )

ooops. my bad. i do engineering, so never needed to learn how to spell.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.