do more people to apply to oxford than cambridge? Watch

This discussion is closed.
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lordofthepies)
ooops. my bad. i do engineering, so never needed to learn how to spell.
ah. engineering. on a related note, let me produce the engineers proof that everything equals 5:

1+4=5
2+3=5
5+0=5
6+-1=5
7-2=5
10/2=5
5*1=5

therefore everything equals up to 5
Mop
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ooooo... engineer jokes are fun.

A mathematician, a physicist and an engineer enter a maths contest. The first question is to prove that all odd numbers are prime. The mathematician says 3's prime, 5's prime and 7's prime, so by induction all odd numbers are prime. The physicist says that 3's prime, 5's prime, 7's prime, 11's prime, 13's prime so all odd numbers are prime to within acceptable experimental error. The engineer has the simplest proof: 3's prime, 5's prime, 7's prime, 9's prime...
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sbailey)
I have plenty of Asian friends and their beliefs are at odds with your parent's. I have seen this debate on other internet forums and most people acknowledge that Cambridge has a better reputation in Asia, mainly because some high profile Asians have studied in Cambridge. It's a stupid reason, but global renown is built on stupid reasons. Oxford only has the reputation it does in America because of the Rhodes scholarships.
Yeah..I attend a university with population 40% Asian...(Berkeley) and I am half-Asian..trust me on this one please. It's not only America who regards Oxford over Cambridge.

To be fair, supposedly Cambridge is better academically..but Oxford is more renowned.
sTe\/o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SlyPie)
Yeah..I attend a university with population 40% Asian...(Berkeley) and I am half-Asian..trust me on this one please. It's not only America who regards Oxford over Cambridge.

To be fair, supposedly Cambridge is better academically..but Oxford is more renowned.
The fact that Berkeley has 40% Asians does not detract from the fact that I know a lot of Asians too. Let's just agree to disagree.
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mop)
ooooo... engineer jokes are fun.

A mathematician, a physicist and an engineer enter a maths contest. The first question is to prove that all odd numbers are prime. The mathematician says 3's prime, 5's prime and 7's prime, so by induction all odd numbers are prime. The physicist says that 3's prime, 5's prime, 7's prime, 11's prime, 13's prime so all odd numbers are prime to within acceptable experimental error. The engineer has the simplest proof: 3's prime, 5's prime, 7's prime, 9's prime...
Now that's a bit mean, isn't it?

*i giggles*
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A mathematician, a physicist, an engineer went again to the races and laid their money down. Commiserating in the bar after the race, the engineer says, "I don't understand why I lost all my money. I measured all the horses and calculated their strength and mechanical advantage and figured out how fast they could run..."

The physicist interrupted him: "...but you didn't take individual variations into account. I did a statistical analysis of their previous performances and bet on the horses with the highest probability of winning..."

"...so if you're so hot why are you broke?" asked the engineer. But before the argument can grow, the mathematician takes out his pipe and they get a glimpse of his well-fattened wallet. Obviously here was a man who knows something about horses. They both demanded to know his secret.

"Well," he says, "first I assumed all the horses were identical and spherical..."

An engineer, a physicist and a mathematician are staying in a hotel.
The engineer wakes up and smells smoke. He goes out into the hallway and sees a fire, so he fills a trash can from his room with water and douses the fire. He goes back to bed.
Later, the physicist wakes up and smells smoke. He opens his door and sees a fire in the hallway. He walks down the hall to a fire hose and after calculating the flame velocity, distance, water pressure, trajectory, etc. extinguishes the fire with the minimum amount of water and energy needed.
Later, the mathematician wakes up and smells smoke. He goes to the hall, sees the fire and then the fire hose. He thinks for a moment and then exclaims, "Ah, a solution exists!" and then goes back to bed.
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't like this one:

Several scientists were all posed the following question: "What is 2 * 2 ?"
The engineer whips out his slide rule (so it's old) and shuffles it back and forth, and finally announces "3.99".
The physicist consults his technical references, sets up the problem on his computer, and announces "it lies between 3.98 and 4.02".
The mathematician cogitates for a while, then announces: "I don't know what the answer is, but I can tell you, an answer exists!".
Philosopher smiles: "But what do you mean by 2 * 2 ?"
Logician replies: "Please define 2 * 2 more precisely."
The sociologist: "I don't know, but is was nice talking about it".
Behavioral Ecologist: "A polygamous mating system".
Medical Student : "4" All others looking astonished : "How did you know ??" Medical Student : :I memorized it."
Willa
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
since we're doing sad university related jokes:

3 students are out for a quiet drink, 1 from Bristol university, one from Durham university and one from Cambridge university. The student from Bristol pops to the toilet, does he business, and washes his hands with plenty of soap and water. He comes out of the toilet and says to his friends "At Bristol they teach us to be clean". The Durham student then went to the toilet, did his business, and washed his hands with as little soap and water as humanly possible. He came out and said to his friends "At Durham they teach us to be efficient". Finally the cambridge student eventually went to the toilet, did his business, and then walked out without washing his hands at all! He said to his friends "At cambridge they teach us not to piss on our hands"
trystero
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
Finally the cambridge student eventually went to the toilet, did his business, and then walked out without washing his hands at all! He said to his friends "At cambridge they teach us not to piss on our hands"
What's that say about Cambridge students, that that's part of the curriculum?
JustaGuy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SlyPie)
It's not only America who regards Oxford over Cambridge.
I tend to agree. I have Chinese and Japanese friends, and they tell me that Oxford is generally regarded as "better" than Cambridge in China and Japan. Other south-east asian friends say they are both regarded equally in their countries.
kitsune
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In Spain also!!! The only UK unis people can name is Cambridge and Oxford and "London"... and Oxford is the good on and the difficult one to get into... and Cambridge is easier... that's what people think!
soonalvin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JustaGuy)
I tend to agree. I have Chinese and Japanese friends, and they tell me that Oxford is generally regarded as "better" than Cambridge in China and Japan. Other south-east asian friends say they are both regarded equally in their countries.
Well. I think in SEA, generally, Oxford is regarded as better for the humanities and Cambridge for the sciences. Hardly anyway I know applied to Cambridge for humanities. The reverse is true for Oxford. That aside, a number of the big name politicians in Singapore are from Cambridge, so I guess they are regarded more highly in Singapore. (The Lee family: Lee Hsien Loong (Current PM): Trinity, Cambridge, Mathmo & his dad Lee Kuan Yew: Fitz, Cam, Law)
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was under the impression that more people applied to Cambridge - Cambridge has significantly more students in a given year at a given college than Oxford does.
sTe\/o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by 5150)
I was under the impression that more people applied to Cambridge - Cambridge has significantly more students in a given year at a given college than Oxford does.
You're right, but we also have fewer colleges. In terms of overall size, Cambridge has slightly more undergrads but it's not that big a difference.

The figures at the start of this thread show you how many offers are made every year and how many applications there are for these places. Cambridge has more applicants per place as well as more places.
PinkPig
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
At my school more people applied to Cambridge - and to be honest there's very little to seperate the universities in "how prestigious / good they are". Oxford has done better at international fame, but that's hardly the most important thing when applying. Cambridge is certainly not any "easier" to get into than Oxford!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.46%
No (613)
72.54%

Watched Threads