The Student Room Group

need help choosing a-levels

Well ive just recently started to think about what a levels i should choose as im about to go into year 11 and when it comes to around november-january you need to start looking at six forms

I want to get a degree in radiography so i was just wondering what subjects will be best to take, i cant do any science subjects as i am only doing applied science for gcse:frown: so hear is what im thinking:

Psychology,
Sociology,
Health and social care,
Statistics
R.E(i took this for gcse and really enjoyed it)
Sport science

so which will be the best 4

Also if you took any of these subjects can you tell me how much is exam:coursework if its hard:easy, basically any information will be great :smile:
I took statistics but for Edexcel you won't get coursework unless you do S3. I don't now what exam boards you are doing. My friend does AQA Psychology and basically there are a lot of essays to do throughout the cpurse and for the exam you'll be doing 25 mark essays or something. R.E (R.S at our school) is more essays but my friend loved it and if you enjoyed the GCSE then I think you should go for it. Do the subjects you enjoy and want to do otherwise you'll have two years of utmost pain! Are there any subjects that radiology require? e.g. medicine requires chemistry.
Reply 2
Hmm yeah i think im going to take R.E (it is also RS at my school i just call it R.E because thats what it was before GCSE) because i enjoyed it and my teacher told me i should go for it because its pretty much the same just more in depth, im not too sure about psychology because i often get distracted whilst doing coursework but my mum says that it sounds different and intresting and if i enjoy it, it wont be so much a pain.

No it just requires you to have 2 A2's 1 in either a science subject(physics, chem, biology) or a social science(psychology, sociology, geography)
Laureenox
Well ive just recently started to think about what a levels i should choose as im about to go into year 11 and when it comes to around november-january you need to start looking at six forms

I want to get a degree in radiography so i was just wondering what subjects will be best to take, i cant do any science subjects as i am only doing applied science for gcse:frown: so hear is what im thinking:

Psychology,
Sociology,
Health and social care,
Statistics
Sport science

Also if you took any of these subjects can you tell me how much is exam:coursework if its hard:easy, basically any information will be great :smile:

If I were you I'd do sociology (my sister does it at a level and loves is)
Health and social care (it has something to do with health)
I'd also pick up a science because radiology is medical and they might ask for something like that.

I'd say you should go and see if there are any required subjects for your course.
Also make sure you chose subjects you enjoy and be careful not to choose cop-out/non-preferred subjects if you're looking to go to a good uni!

I hope that helps :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah thanks :smile:, i was leaning to do them two i think so far i will take RE, sociology, health and social and psycology :smile:
Reply 5
Laureenox

Psychology,
Sociology,
Health and social care,
Statistics
Sport science

I really enjoyed R.E at GCSE too. Didn't take it for A level though but its good to pick subjects you enjoy. :smile:
You're going to have a problem with the science I think. I just did a quick look on UCAS and courses generally seem to say:

A minimum of five GCSEs at Grade C or above including Maths, English Language and either Double Science or Biology and Physics.

Could you maybe take separate science, or at least double science, outside of school?

My other concern would be that most of those (in fact all apart from RE - and possibly stats, don't know about that) are considered "soft subjects". I would recommend two more academic subjects, maybe Maths and RE, then Psychology or Sociology, and then a science if you do the GCSE out of school or either sport science or health. Otherwise you'd limit your options an awful lot if you later decided that wasn't what you wanted to do if you had mostly "soft subjects".
Laureenox

Psychology,
Sociology,
Health and social care,
Statistics
Sport science

hhmm....I would say psychology, statistics, RS and sociology are probbably the "most respected" from your options....

however I would say to do some sciences as I would expect the would want them, so perhaps something like this....

psychology
RS
biology
statistics

this would be a much stronger combination, but certainly look up the course requirements from the places that do them...you don't want to be in the position of not having the right A levels to do the degree you want.
I do Psychology with AQA and really enjoy it but not sure about the relevancy of it to a radiography degree. But then you should pick stuff you know you'll enjoy because you'll be more likely to want to revise and do well :smile:
There's no 25 mark essays at AS anyway:s-smilie: Highest is 12 mark essays unless it changes in A2.
At AS I've studied Memory, Attachment (like how attached children are to their parents), Stress, Abnormality (mental disorders) and Social Influence (stuff like conformity and obedience).
So if you like the sound of that and your school uses AQA then pick Psychology! Lols, I would recommend it anyway but it isn't an easy or soft option :biggrin:
Reply 9
Yeah i know what you mean, i would definatly consider trying to do a science outside of school because i know that would help me a lot but i dont know how i would go about doing that.

Sorry im new too this what does 'soft subjects' mean, does it mean that there easy and not many people are into them?
Reply 10
okay so this is for the university i want to attend:
Normally a minimum of three GCSE passes at grade C or above, including mathematics, English language/literature and a science subject
260 points from GCE/VCE A2 levels, except general studies, with at least 80 points from a science subject, or BTEC National qualifications. Science subjects include geography, psychology, sociology and sports studies. VCE or double award must be in science or health and social care. AS levels do not count towards the points total.

okay so do you think i can achieve this if i take health and social care, psychology, sociology and RS
Reply 11
Laureenox
Sorry im new too this what does 'soft subjects' mean, does it mean that there easy and not many people are into them?

Soft subjects are generally less acadmic and percieved to be easier and hence less respected by universities. Examples include health and social care, sociology, media studies, business studies etc Many universities will only accept one "soft" subject, with the other two required to be harder subjects. Basically the idea is an A in health and social care is NOT equal to an A in say Chemistry, which is a hard subject. I believe there was an article about ages ago that said an A in Media Studies is equal to a C in Chemistry according to unis.

Hard subjects are basically the more respected and academic ones: maths, physics, history, english etc and are always accepted by universities.
Reply 12
oh okay thanks :/

Latest