Turn on thread page Beta

Drinking at Uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know that alot of people drink alot of alcohol whilts at uni and go out alot etc. My question is how would someone get on at Uni if they did not drink alcohol atall. Would they be left out of social activities?

I ask because a couple of years ago I was having treatment for an illness and I wasn't allowed to drink alcohol for two years, now I am allowed to drink alcohol again I just havn't really felt like it, I may start drinking alcohol again, I may not. I was just wondering if anyone on here is at university and doesn't drink and how they get on?

ReputationRep:
    I dont drink, and i dont intend to. I've allocated myself "self-proclaimed, designated walker home(r)"

You dont have to drink to have fun.

ReputationRep:
    If people leave you out just because of that then they're shallow and you don't want to be friends with them anyway! I think if you go to social events and come across as being friendly then people will like you for who you are.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you'll be left out cos u dont want to drink alcyhol. just drink coke or water as opposed to it lol

ReputationRep:
    as long as your still up for a laugh without alcohol imsure you'll be fine! and you'll save loads of money if u don't drink too!

ReputationRep:
    Go to the bar and do what I did a few times, just stick to soft drinks. Cheaper and tastes nicer anyway!

I doubt you'll feel too left out, it's definitely not a necessity to making friends unless you find being sick in drinking games a bonding experience :p: you'll find people who don't drink for all sorts of reasons and people who do but you can get along with outside of the bars, especially if you're living in halls and join societies.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I won't be drinking alcohol much as I wanna stay sober enough to look normal when trying to make friends, I want to save money, and soft drink are usually nicer anyway! See, the majority of people don't care whether you drink or not.

ReputationRep:
    i find it easier to talk whilst drunk >.<!

ReputationRep:
    Lol not me. If I've had a little to drink it makes me a bit more confident but I don't like being drunk cause then I'm not really in control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kwannie)
    i find it easier to talk whilst drunk >.<!
    Yes, same.

Well, drinking is a social activity... it makes things more fun generally and i think there is probably alot of pressure sometimes for people to get drunk, because everyone around them is. Saying that, it would be very shallow for someone not to leave you out simply because you don't want to drink alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily-Sarah)
    Lol not me. If I've had a little to drink it makes me a bit more confident but I don't like being drunk cause then I'm not really in control.
    I dont know my limit, and my aunt suggested that i should one day try and find out, but 2 glasses of baileys and a breezer later, i was still ok, and it was getting late (or early in the morning) so i went to sleep. My head ached too much when i woke-up to contemplate doing that again anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    If there are any people that are going to leave you out because you don't drink then they the sort of people that you're not going to want to be freinds with anyway so I wouldn't worry about it. I enjoy going out and drinking but I have many friends who don't like alcohol or who don't drink it for other reasons and I would never judge them on that basis. Just enjoy your time at uni, you don't have to drink to have a good time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily-Sarah)
    Same here, if I've got past the slightly tipsy stage then I prefer to just keep my mouth shut in case I say anything that I might regret the next day...in the past I've been far too indiscreet when I've had a few so it's easier for me to be open and honest with people when I'm sober and being really myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    Same here, if I've got past the slightly tipsy stage then I prefer to just keep my mouth shut in case I say anything that I might regret the next day...
    I'm with you on that one, it can be highly embarrassing

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, and people are going to want to make friends with the real you, not the drunk you so it's a good idea not to get drunk all the time when you start uni or idiots might befriend what they think is the real you.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt worry about that! whether you drink or not should make no difference what so ever. im a bit of a party animal kinda girl, goin out round town or to parties roughly 3 nights a week and when i was challenged to give up alcohol for a month (althought i went for 3 months) they were some of the best nights out id ever had and none have managed to top them so far either! plus at least u get to see everyone else making nobs of themselves and be the only one to remember so ya can remind them of their drunken rants! lol

ReputationRep:
    Im going to control my drinking for the first while because when I am totally smashed I am really immature and do stuff that i shouldnt. but once i get to know folk the carnage will be back ha.but it will be hard especially with sports teams ie 'pipe down and drink it' motos

ReputationRep:
    it shouldn't matter. i barely drink because i know that when i get trousered i do stuff that i regret, and make a fool of myself. if you're one of those people who doesn't need drink to have fun, then be proud and enjoy the money you'll save!

ReputationRep:
    As a person who drinks socially I don't have a problem with people who stick to soft drinks - I normally have a few during the course of the evening myself - but one of my friends refuses to have even a soft drink if our group adjourns to the pub in the evening, choosing instead to sit in the corner and glower at us as we sip our rums and cokes, not taking part in the conversation. Please do not do this, any of you. Nothing ends an evening out more quickly than a glowering friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hibbert)
    I know that alot of people drink alot of alcohol whilts at uni and go out alot etc. My question is how would someone get on at Uni if they did not drink alcohol atall. Would they be left out of social activities?

I ask because a couple of years ago I was having treatment for an illness and I wasn't allowed to drink alcohol for two years, now I am allowed to drink alcohol again I just havn't really felt like it, I may start drinking alcohol again, I may not. I was just wondering if anyone on here is at university and doesn't drink and how they get on?
    Maybe go for a compromise and have the odd social drink yeah. That way, you'll still be "in" with the others so to speak, and avoid spending lots/hangovers/silly drunken mistakes/ dry cleaning bills etc etc hehe! I'd certainly agree that making yourself a martyr aint the way to go

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.