Stalins military purges Watch

This discussion is closed.
Hungernail
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Can anyone recomend a book or a website for stalins military purges before WW2??? please..
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Hungernail)
Can anyone recomend a book or a website for stalins military purges before WW2??? please..
It began with Tucachevsky. The Marshal of the Soviet Union's Military. This itself was instigated by a German named Reinhardt Tristan Eugen Heydrich. Look up those two and you should be doing well.
Hungernail
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
thanks!!! anything else worthy to look at? a book? a website? a pamphlet?
Moochy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
there was something on channel 4 about that the other night. have a look on the ch4 website.
B00kwOrm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
It began with Tucachevsky. The Marshal of the Soviet Union's Military. This itself was instigated by a German named Reinhardt Tristan Eugen Heydrich. Look up those two and you should be doing well.

How come? :confused: I thought the purges were well before the Nazis came into power, so how could Heydrich have instigated it?

Wasn't Tucachevsky the one who was shot by Stalin for saying that the Soviet aircraft were poor? Or am I confusing things here?
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by B00kwOrm)
How come? :confused: I thought the purges were well before the Nazis came into power, so how could Heydrich have instigated it?

Wasn't Tucachevsky the one who was shot by Stalin for saying that the Soviet aircraft were poor? Or am I confusing things here?
You are indeed confusing things a tad. Not your fault. The exectution of Tucachevsky and also Stalin's purge itself was instigated by Heydrich. Some call it Heydrich's masterpiece. I agree that it was. Heydrich worked in the SS, more specifically the 'sicherheitsdienst' (think thats how it is spelt.) secret service in other words, the SD of the SS. They majored in things like international espionage etc. With this echelon of the SS and with help from subordinates such as Muller and Schellenberg, Heydrich managed to convince the Soviet espionage units, using false papers and the works, that his spies had convinced their spies to convince some key military figures to defect, or try to take over from Stalin. A military coup if you will. Thus without even crossing the border, Heydrich and his men convinced Stalin's spies that Tucachevsky was out to take over from him, and that Tucachevsky had the backing of most of the army's officer corps. Thus when the such and such parade came around, the 5 senior marshalls of the army wouldn't even salute Tucachevsky that morning. Within a week, he had been brought before a firing squad. Interestinly enough, only 2 of those 5 Marshalls survived the ensuing 'purge'. I hope that helps a bit. I can't remember the man who took over the army afterwards, but his surname started with 'V', but half of Russia has that similarity.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (53)
98.15%
No (1)
1.85%

Watched Threads