Should I be worried? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Purple
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
On the DFES website I found the averages for the college i am going to and they are pretty low! How worried should I be?

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/cgi-bin/perfo...=9098002&back=
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
It depends.

That doesn't necessarily mean the teaching is bad. A private school which has entrance exams to only allow in bright pupils will always get higher averages then schools who take in anyone, regardless of teaching.

Teaching ability is hard to measure, and it may actually be alright.

Even if it isn't, you can do a lot of work on your own, work is quite independant at this level, and you should be fine.
Purple
Would it be too late now to apply to a completely different 6th form that ive had no previous correspondance with?
last_train
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not too worried at all - it's only statistics and you can work hard wherever you are; be one of the people who pull the average up!
last_train
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't know. Are you just worried because of the averages? I'm sure you could phone other colleges and ask. Do you know anyone who has studied there already who you could ask about teaching and what the college you are going to at the moment is like - that might give you more of an idea about whether you have anything to worry about.
skatergirlannie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
be worried! you'll fail and live on a council estate lol!
Purple
(Original post by last_train)
I don't know. Are you just worried because of the averages? I'm sure you could phone other colleges and ask. Do you know anyone who has studied there already who you could ask about teaching and what the college you are going to at the moment is like - that might give you more of an idea about whether you have anything to worry about.
Yea I am worried becuase of the averages, the others in the county are much higher and I dont really have another option. I dont know anyone that goes to the college so there isn't anyone I could ask. http://www.dfes.gov.uk/cgi-bin/perfo...=1&Type=&Lsc=6 is the rest of the schools in my area but the only other possibility would be Whitehaven but I havent had any correspondence with them whatsoever so its probably too late although I have emailed them to enquire. :confused:
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
my school's average is 160 points but we have less entries of about 40 and i'm not doing pretty bad at the moment.
Purple
What were your grades
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kirstinx)
What were your grades
aaa + c in general studies at as, still waiting on a grade
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
As Tis Me Lord said, colleges are similar to comprehensives. They admit everyone who gets the minimum standard of 4-5 A*-Cs at GCSE and you can normally count a GNVQ as 4 GCSEs. Grammar and private schools, on the other hand, have much higher entry requirements, so no matter how good the teaching and facilities are at a comprehensive, they can't compete because not all of their students are very bright. My school (comprehensive) isn't very high in the league tables, but I've had unusually small classes and pretty damn good teaching in the sixth form. A-levels are more about independent learning anyway, so if you work hard, I'm sure you'll do fine.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1380)
79.49%
Leave (356)
20.51%

Watched Threads