why is durham so popular? Watch

This discussion is closed.
TomB2000
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
durham seems to be a really popular university according to this website, which i really do not understand...
it is such a second rate university - either go the whole way, and go to oxbridge, but why settle for some middle-class mediocre compromise of oxbridge which is in the middle of nowhere?
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's a beautiful place
AmyBlue
Report 15 years ago
well quite blatantly you don't know what you're talking about, if this was intelligent criticism then i would bother making a proper argument, but as it is obviously the post of somebody just trying to be controversial i will leave you to it
SirWhale
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TomB2000)
durham seems to be a really popular university according to this website, which i really do not understand...
it is such a second rate university - either go the whole way, and go to oxbridge, but why settle for some middle-class mediocre compromise of oxbridge which is in the middle of nowhere?
Grow up...pls
Me2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
because its a good university (especially for degrees like history and law), and not everyone can just 'get into' oxbridge, the fact that people go there when they are rejected from oxbridge, shows that it is damn good and that the people studying there are obviously good enough to apply for oxbridge, but just weren't lucky enough to be offered a place
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
because its a good university (especially for degrees like history and law), and not everyone can just 'get into' oxbridge, the fact that people go there when they are rejected from oxbridge, shows that it is damn good and that the people studying there are obviously good enough to apply for oxbridge, but just weren't lucky enough to be offered a place
Well said!!!
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by B00kwOrm)
Well said!!!
thank you
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
thank you
You're welcome, that was an excellent reply to a bad question. Have you applied to Durham, too? I have, for History at Collingwood. What do you intend to study and where?
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You're welcome, that was an excellent reply to a bad question. Have you applied to Durham, too? I have, for History at Collingwood. What do you intend to study and where?
well, i'm only in year 11, so technically i shouldn't be on this message board :rolleyes: , but i want to study law when i'm older, hence why i came to this message board to find out more, durham will definately be one of the universities i apply to though.
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
well, i'm only in year 11, so technically i shouldn't be on this message board :rolleyes: , but i want to study law when i'm older, hence why i came to this message board to find out more, durham will definately be one of the universities i apply to though.
Well, good luck with everything! Most of all for the GCSEs in the summer!!! Maybe we'll see each other at Durham in a couple of years...
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, good luck with everything!

thank you
rah
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
this thread is *so* tempting but i've ranted about this enough i think

for the record mate i agree with you, have a look on their unofficial guides board and there is a whole bunch of people there who also agree.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I guess...

If you like Durham, then just go there. Would be a great idea to check it out. Let's face it.. all the top unis are around the same standard. From the list of top unis, the rest is just personal preference.

After all, we're stuck there for 3 years. I've never been to any uni apart from Cambridge, so I'm just relying on other people's opinions.. but so far I'm sticking with nottingham.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Had I have not been so lucky with Cambridge, it would have been a huge contest between the repuation of Warwick for Maths, the prestige of Nottingham, and the surroundings of Durham. A Durham degree is good stuff, though more and more people are becoming cynical, thinking it's a lot of smoke and little fire.
ankur1986
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
durham is not a second-rate uni, sure some of the courses r easy to get in for Queesn's campus but a lot of courses r very good. I am applying 2 durham because it offers the best course for me if i can get my course switched; it is a beautiful place and it's only 10 mins away from newcastle the best city for nightlife because it is so cheap. Durham is much cheaper place to live than london etc. less busy etc. + durham has got a very good rep. why not apply 2 durham?
azz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i think its more like at least 20/30 minutes away from Newcastle mate, not as close as most people think.
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it was popular initially for me as an alternative to oxford if i didnt get an offer, and because its no, 1 for my subj in the UK at the mo
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by azz)
i think its more like at least 20/30 minutes away from Newcastle mate, not as close as most people think.
The train journey is under twenty minutes in length, but you have to get to and from the station at both ends of course.
AveHan
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by azz)
12 minutes actually, i've done it several times
AveHan
Report 15 years ago
Right well i'm not even going to bother arguing this one, as I have better things to do. I, amongst several others have explained several times why Durham is a "really popular university". It's a great place, and one of the best universities in the country. I don't think that anyone could ever call it "second rate". You're either bitter because you got rejected, or a sad little person trying to cause controvosy which everyone is bored of by now. Get a life.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (15)
19.23%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (34)
43.59%
Nope, not that interesting (29)
37.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise