Turn on thread page Beta

what the hell is bush doing? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i'm watching the news, and new orleans look s like a third world country! Bush is doing nothing to help- there are rapes and murders, it's terrible! nicolas cage has given 1 million to help, that's a lot more than what bush has done! they are always the first to help other countries what about their own?

ReputationRep:
    Its cos there are not many white folk in trouble there

ReputationRep:
    I think they are doing the best they can - it is a massive rescue operation and can't be done overnight.

The citizens aren't helping themselves though - looting etc - distracting the rebuilding.

ReputationRep:
    ooooooo- careful. this is os sad! all these people are crying on the news, this country is supposed to be the most powerful in the world, if it can't look after itself, how can it look after other places! i hate to say it, but they are now at there weakest- and what do terrorists look for!

ReputationRep:
    If Bush gives up the tax breaks for the rich then that would more than enough pay for the rebuilding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kard)
    If Bush gives up the tax breaks for the rich then that would more than enough pay for the rebuilding.
    its not that though, they can't rebuild when there are so many in danger- surely lives come first- at this moment in time i think bush doesn't care. thank god he can;t be reelected back into power

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs. Political)
    ooooooo- careful. this is os sad! all these people are crying on the news, this country is supposed to be the most powerful in the world, if it can't look after itself, how can it look after other places! i hate to say it, but they are now at there weakest- and what do terrorists look for!
    What on earth are you speaking about now? What on earth has New Orleans got to do with terrorism, or even attracting it? It's a city on the South West coast of the US! The US is hardly vulnerable for it...but then, you did say that everyone in Guantanamo bay was a terrorist, so I dont blame you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HTale)
    What on earth are you speaking about now? What on earth has New Orleans got to do with terrorism, or even attracting it? It's a city on the South West coast of the US! The US is hardly vulnerable for it...but then, you did say that everyone in Guantanamo bay was a terrorist, so I dont blame you.
    what? AMerica's defences are at their weakest- they're being sent to new orleans. terrorists wait for times like this! look at 7/7 the media focus was on G8, they had an oppurtunity and they took it. AMerica is proving to not be as tough as we all thought!

ReputationRep:
    You mugs, do some damn research.

The way the US works is the reason nthnig seems to have been happening. Until they specifically ask for federal help, they are meant to sort it out on their own - thats why they collect state taxes, not just federal ones. Getting supplies to people when the roads are under 20ft of water is pretty difficult, and there's only so many helicopters to go round. It's not like the water will just drain away - it's there until they move it, since they are under sea level, and moving that much water takes a long time and a lot of man power. It's not a matter of them not doing anything, it's a matter of them not being able to do anything.

Now the federal government is in charge though, and a special sanction has been made permitting the military to deploy in the US (it's not allowed, thats what the National Guard is for, and it's a fairly intricate process, which is why it's taken the Military so long to get involved). By the sounds of things, law and order is slowly being restored as soon as the feds got in control, so hopefully it's only a matter of time before this gets fixed - or at least, the people get out.

But remember, these people chose to stay when they got a MANDATORY warning from their governor, and were told a Cat 5 storm was coming when they live under sea level next to a lake, a river and a sea. While it's a trajedy, the people still in there (with the possible exception of the disabled and old) are there of their own volition - they had days to get out, but didn't.

ReputationRep:
    You do know what a Hurricane is? How are they supposed to get out? No cars or anytihng, you can't outwalk a hurricane.

ReputationRep:
    it's their home! everyone thinks that it won't happen to them! anyway thousands of people could not have been evacuated in time, and they have asked for federal help

ReputationRep:
    Experts on the Mississippi Delta pointed out that a plan to shore up the levees around New Orleans was abandoned last year for lack of government funding. They noted that flood-control spending for south-eastern Louisiana had been chopped every year that Mr Bush has been in office, that hurricane protection funds have also fallen, and that the local army corps of engineers has also had its budget cut. The emergency management chief for Jefferson parish told the Times-Picayune newspaper:"It appears that the money has been moved in the President's budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that's the price we pay.".

The usually restrained New York Times said: "Why were developers permitted to destroy wetlands and barrier islands that could have held back the hurricane's surge? Why was Congress, before it wandered off to vacation, engaged in slashing the budget for correcting some of the gaping holes in the area's flood protection?"

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...icle309696.ece

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Highlander)
    You do know what a Hurricane is? How are they supposed to get out? No cars or anytihng, you can't outwalk a hurricane.
    You can when you know it's coming 4 days before it gets there, which they did. It was obvious this would happen - they are in the worst possible location for a hurricaine - they know that if one hit, and they were there, they'd be screwed. It's obvious, yet they stayed. As i said, it's a tragedy that people have died, and that so much property has been destroyed, but for the people stuck there, they had plenty of time to get out.

Mrs. Political, as humble and lovely the fact that it's their home is, that doesn't stop stupidity.

It's amazing, Bush is the only leader who gets the flack when a natural disaster causes problems. Guess what? They all do! And the greatest thing is, because the US is so affluent, they caught a load of flask for not helping enough after the Tsunami! Wow, i guess Bush really IS to blame for everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    You can when you know it's coming 4 days before it gets there, which they did. It was obvious this would happen - they are in the worst possible location for a hurricaine - they know that if one hit, and they were there, they'd be screwed. It's obvious, yet they stayed. As i said, it's a tragedy that people have died, and that so much property has been destroyed, but for the people stuck there, they had plenty of time to get out.

Mrs. Political, as humble and lovely the fact that it's their home is, that doesn't stop stupidity.

It's amazing, Bush is the only leader who gets the flack when a natural disaster causes problems. Guess what? They all do! And the greatest thing is, because the US is so affluent, they caught a load of flask for not helping enough after the Tsunami! Wow, i guess Bush really IS to blame for everything!
    if he continually makes the wrong choices, then yes he is, and deserves to be disliked

ReputationRep:
    Say you live right on the shore of New orleans, how far can you walk in 4 days, in the searing heat? 30 miles? By that time the Hurricane would have caught up with you.

ReputationRep:
    Whoever said America is at it's weakest - I disagree. A small part of the country is having problems. I think America is fully aware of terrorist threats, and nothing would push their attention of that onto something else. The amount of troops in NO is a tiny proportion of the whole US army.

ReputationRep:
    Blame is all well and good but surely we should save that for the aftermath and the enquiry that will no doubt take place to assess what can be done in the future to prevent or reduce the impact of such a disaster.

I think we should all be thinking about those people stuck in lakes of sewage or those who are on dry land but have no food and thank our lucky stars that we're not one of them.

ReputationRep:
    What I wonder is - why do they have wooden houses in areas likely to be hit by natural disasters? is it so that the rebuilding is cheap? Thinking about the force of their average hurricanes - would brick built houses not withstand the damage? I'm quite uneducated on things like this.....

I just think that maybe they should spent the time and money to re-enforce their buildings so that most of the time they are kept in one piece...

Obviously, cat 5 hurricanes would do damage, but what is the average hurricane force in the most hit areas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Highlander)
    Say you live right on the shore of New orleans, how far can you walk in 4 days, in the searing heat? 30 miles? By that time the Hurricane would have caught up with you.
    Walk? I appreciate these people are poor but these are people who know that the chances of them dying are very large. You honestly think that they really couldnt pull together money to get a car, or carpool or anything in four days if their life depended on it? I think they could.

Mrs. Political, disliking someone and blaming them for the aftermath of natural disasters are very different. Why aren't you blaming the head of the Red Cross for not doing more? Sure, the government takes Taxes, but they have to spend that on a ridulously high number of things. The Red Cross is dedicated to this, and they have huge ammounts of funds from donations across the world, yet are doing even less. Are you going to blame them too? Or don't they get blame, because they're only voluntary anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motherless Child)
    What I wonder is - why do they have wooden houses in areas likely to be hit by natural disasters? is it so that the rebuilding is cheap? Thinking about the force of their average hurricanes - would brick built houses not withstand the damage? I'm quite uneducated on things like this.....

I just think that maybe they should spent the time and money to re-enforce their buildings so that most of the time they are kept in one piece...

Obviously, cat 5 hurricanes would do damage, but what is the average hurricane force in the most hit areas?
    i don't get that either, there was a church on the tv, made out of brick and there was no damage at all!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.