Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    Doom_and_Gloom get yourself over to the Psych Soc you know your stuff girl
    Thanks Hanzing I do try to know my stuff as I'm doing Psych A-Level in one year :s: . I'm already learning about some of it now independently before I go back so I don't feel over my head . I think I will go over to the Psych Soc should be cool :cool: .

ReputationRep:
    well i played with barbie and i don't blame her for me wanting a bigger chest. I blame the media who parade these girls, airbrush them, have those awful circle the wobbly bit pages etc who constantly force us to criticise others....do people who write that stuff have nothing better in their lives than to make people miserable? All i seem to see in mags atm is cosmetic surgery and the most amazing x diet. Or if they try and be all - i'm happy with my body - there are still 5pages of ads at the back for cos surgery/natural enhancers etc
    when i was 6 and played with barbies i never recall thinking wow i'd like to look like this more ' I wonder if i can make a better house using that box and wallpaper samples...' and today i wouldnt want to look anything barbie like as men think she's a sl a g and not intelligent.
    Barbie is a piece of plastic, it's human nature that's the problem.

ReputationRep:
    I can see the reasoning behind but it not every girl who has a barbie become anorexic, if that was the case then pretty much everyone would suffer from anorexia!

I think it depends more on their personality, or childhood, friends, and other media...stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    wasnt it like shown in some earlier research on social learning that children are less likely to copy of something thats not human, eg they are highly unlikely to imitate agression they have seen in a cartoon, and the reason being that they are not human. so dont u think that Barbie, as she isnt human, just plastic that girls are less likely to desire to have a body like that?
    I definitely agree that models in mags and on Tv play a bigger role than barbie in causing anorexia.

ReputationRep:
    I think, like others have said, Barbie doesn't help matters - because she further represents the media's, and indeed society's, obsession with women being <size 10. You never see dolls with well-bulit figures - they are always incredibly thin. The same goes for pop singers, TV presenters, young actresses etc. - they are nearly always size 10's or below with perfect bodies - I've rarely seen someone of my figure (size 14/16 atm) on television or on top of the pops or whatever. :mad: It's the same when you go into fashionable high street shops like Top Shop or New Look or whatever, their clothes are often of a very fitted style and usually there are many 8's and 10's in stock and very few of any larger sizes. :mad: These are the main disheartening factors in my opinion, which may add to the pressures some young girls feel drive them to anorexia. It is obviously both extreme and simplistic to claim this is entirely a result of Barbie but it's one example of a general obsession.

ReputationRep:
    Come on, Barbie is a doll. Nobody with half a brain is gonna try to or want to look like her. I do however agree with the thing about models in teen magazines, some are unhealthily thin and girls are more likely to want to look like them than look like Barbie.

ReputationRep:
    I think also that in addition to the media who are just in it for the money, our culture has changed to that of a controlling one. I know a lot of girls who were at a boarding school who had to be the best in the class, the best in the team and so the best in the social area too which meant being as thin as possible...INSANE! All these magazines like sugar etc glorify skinny sex obsessed females who are suffering for a bit of money...doing so well at evolution aren't we??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anjimcflanji)
    I think also that in addition to the media who are just in it for the money, our culture has changed to that of a controlling one. I know a lot of girls who were at a boarding school who had to be the best in the class, the best in the team and so the best in the social area too which meant being as thin as possible...INSANE! All these magazines like sugar etc glorify skinny sex obsessed females who are suffering for a bit of money...doing so well at evolution aren't we??
    very true

ReputationRep:
    I never had a Barbie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noofruit)
    I never had a Barbie
    Me neither actually, but didn't they suck? They couldn't sit down coz of their stupid straight legs and their arms and feet were like steel forks - hardly something you could warm to. Soft toys were far superior for things to cuddle and crash test dummies were FAR superior for something to play with!!!

ReputationRep:
    i hated barbies and dolls, i had some but i just played with their hair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs. Political)
    i hated barbies and dolls, i had some but i just played with their hair
    Me too, I cut all their hair off and 'dyed' it with nail varnish.

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciara)
    Me too, I cut all their hair off and 'dyed' it with nail varnish.

Cxx
    cute! i never did that, i tried to french pleat them though. i wanted that doll whose hair regrew and you could style it, but my family said i would never use it, i wasn' happy that day!

ReputationRep:
    I cut off their hair too. My brother made one a dress after he made me one. That was quite worrying.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2005
Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.