Txt-Language BOYCOTT Watch

This discussion is closed.
zizero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
This forum is being severely dumbed down by the increasing use of TXT-Language.

It hinders communication even if some of those writing in TXT think that TXT is as understandable as plain English.

It is perfectly legitimate for people to express themselves the way they want. However, mankind has created language as a common denominator in order to promote unamibiguous communication. While I do not want to make a judgment on the quality or the beauty TXT, this is an English-speaking forum and people should stick to that. I consider TXT to be a dialect or even a different language than English. It is not respectful for members to use that dialect in an English-speaking forum. If everyone was to write in his local dialect or in his native language that might not be English, communication is impossible.

For these reasons, I have decided to boycott any posts written in TXT. I will ignore members who write in TXT and I will only participate in discussions written in plain English.

I hope that people who share my opinion on this will join me in this boycott.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by zizero)
This forum is being severely dumbed down by the increasing use of TXT-Language.

It hinders communication even if some of those writing in TXT think that TXT is as understandable as plain English.

It is perfectly legitimate for people to express themselves the way they want. However, mankind has created language as a common denominator in order to promote unamibiguous communication. While I do not want to make a judgment on the quality or the beauty TXT, this is an English-speaking forum and people should stick to that. I consider TXT to be a dialect or even a different language than English. It is not respectful for members to use that dialect in an English-speaking forum. If everyone was to write in his local dialect or in his native language that might not be English, communication is impossible.

For these reasons, I have decided to boycott any posts written in TXT. I will ignore members who write in TXT and I will only participate in discussions written in plain English.

I hope that people who share my opinion on this will join me in this boycott.
I do not personaly use text speak, and can find it frustrating to decypher, but in situations when time or space is limited, text speak has its uses.
But as this forum does not have any time limit, and the space for writing (as far as i know) is not limited either, i do agree with your statements regarding it.
But simply boycotting it isn't the way to approach it, as a person who communicates in this manner isn't necessecerily doing it throug lazyness.
It is possible they have time constraints, or are mentally conditioned to do so. Either way, if they are making a point, or asking for help, the dialect of writing shouldn't be taken into account when choosing whether or not to read it.
Would you ignore someone because of a different accent?
Well I, and almost all reasonable people would not, because it is what you say that matters, not how you say it.
zizero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
I do not personaly use text speak, and can find it frustrating to decypher, but in situations when time or space is limited, text speak has its uses.
But as this forum does not have any time limit, and the space for writing (as far as i know) is not limited either, i do agree with your statements regarding it.
But simply boycotting it isn't the way to approach it, as a person who communicates in this manner isn't necessecerily doing it throug lazyness.
It is possible they have time constraints, or are mentally conditioned to do so. Either way, if they are making a point, or asking for help, the dialect of writing shouldn't be taken into account when choosing whether or not to read it.
Would you ignore someone because of a different accent?
Well I, and almost all reasonable people would not, because it is what you say that matters, not how you say it.
Yes, but this is supposed to be an English-speaking forum. Everyone who becomes a member is aware of that and should comply to the rules.

If we start speaking French, Spanish or Esperanto, we will lose the minimum common ground necessary for communication.

Not only are we undermining communication through TXT-speak, but also the beauty of English prose.

I don't think many people are 'mentally conditioned' to write in TXT THAT would require serious help...

As for the time constraints, they are not an excuse as you don't win a lot of time by typing a few letters less on your computer-keyboard.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes, but this is supposed to be an English-speaking forum. Everyone who becomes a member is aware of that and should comply to the rules.

If we start speaking French, Spanish or Esperanto, we will lose the minimum common ground necessary for communication.

Not only are we undermining communication through TXT-speak, but also the beauty of English prose.

I don't think many people are 'mentally conditioned' to write in TXT THAT would require serious help...

As for the time constraints, they are not an excuse as you don't win a lot of time by typing a few letters less on your computer-keyboard.
So even if people require help with foreign language studies they may not write in another language?

Nemo patriam quia magna est amat, sed quia sua. - Seneca
How english is that?

Text speak cannot be compared to another language, only another accent, because although it sounds a little different, its meaning is the same, and with concentration can be understood.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1388)
79.59%
Leave (356)
20.41%

Watched Threads