The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Modern cultural differences between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland

Anyone who has been to both will know what I'm talking about...

Racism in the Republic is barely an issue. Go to Dublin and half the people there are Spanish/Italian/American. The Dubliners seem to be able to integrate people really well..

Northern Ireland, on the other hand, is the most racist country I've ever visited. I've seen children spitting in Chinese people's hair - seriously! Ethnic minorities live in concentration in a tiny part of South Belfast - the Lower Ormeau. This area used to be wholly Roman Catholic nationalist. Now there are all sorts. But it's only a tiny weeny area, and although Catholics are welcoming, the Protestants mostly aren't.

Anyone else back me up?

Scroll to see replies

Three words: UDA and IRA.

While that those guys are still shooting the balaclavas' off of each other, it's not worth mentioning `cultural differences`.

That and Sinn Fein. *ends semi-trollin' post...*
The Republic Of Ireland has more culture in its little finger than N. Ireland has as a whole.

The Republic has per head of the population contributed more than any other country in the fields of literature, poetry and music.

N. Irish culture is English Bowler Hats, sectarian parades and blown off kneecaps.

N.Ireland is a ********.
tinhat88

Racism in the Republic is barely an issue. Go to Dublin and half the people there are Spanish/Italian/American. The Dubliners seem to be able to integrate people really well..

Northern Ireland, on the other hand, is the most racist country I've ever visited. I've seen children spitting in Chinese people's hair - seriously! Ethnic minorities live in concentration in a tiny part of South Belfast - the Lower Ormeau. This area used to be wholly Roman Catholic nationalist. Now there are all sorts. But it's only a tiny weeny area, and although Catholics are welcoming, the Protestants mostly aren't.

Anyone else back me up?

Irish Republicans tend to be very left wing, with the Irish Republican movement emanating from marxist ideology.

The Protestant Loyalists are well known to have its root is fascist ideology, and the UDA, UVF AND THE UFF etc. all have strong links with neo fascist organisations.
Reply 4
I agree, Northern Ireland is very racist. I would hate to be an ethnic minority living here. And, yes, it does appear that the Protestant Loyalists are more racists than the republicans. I mind in the news, were Combat 18 had been spray painted on the graves of republicans. . .
Reply 5
tinhat88

Anyone else back me up?

Your anecdotal evidence is quite irrelevant.
tinhat88

Anyone else back me up?

This has to be the biggest Bull **** ever dropped from someone who thinks that their country is the epitome of humanity as we know it and that every other country is a colony of barbarians who they must shed the light of righteousness onto.

'Oh I've visited the North and Republic and I intimately know everything about each of them and rather than notice their diverse and colourful culture, I'll pick apart something small I saw, that I couldn't understand and sum up my experience of both countries by it.'

Followed up by initiating a slagging match on TSR between a load of other similar minded bigots who like to disrespect anything other than their own glorious selves.

tinhat88

I've seen children spitting in Chinese people's hair - seriously!

Very good, you observed that well here. Have you never seen something like this at home? I've seen it all over. Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales; I've been to all and witnessed similar things, there are pockets of racist people in all countries. Its just disappointing you had to come about it up North in your short visit.
(And don't come back to me saying it wasn't a short visit, I lived there for 3 years while I was at uni, or anything like that. It's a short visit compared to someone like me who has lived their whole life between the North and South.)

tinhat88

Ethnic minorities live in concentration in a tiny part of South Belfast - the Lower Ormeau.

Well here is some more ******** that some idiot has told you, or you decided to make up in you own head. I went to a school in Belfast and a large percentage of the pupils there were from so called 'ethnic minorities'. They lived in a variety of places and weren't shunned into a small dilapidated area in the lower ormeau. Fair enough a lot of them were borders, but that goes to show you people want to come over her for schooling.
Also the area where I live now is in the greater South Belfast Area and it is a neighbourhood of many backgrounds protestant, catholic and people from further afield.

I also have to mention one of the popular candidates who ran for MP in South Belfast, Anna Lo from Hong Kong. If we were really all this racist surely she would have received so much abuse from people that she would have withdrawn from the election.
Oh, and here is a little point that you can stick in you pipe, "Anna Lo was the first politician born in East Asia elected to any legislative body in the United Kingdom." (Quote Wikipedia)
Who are the racist ones now?

tinhat88

Catholics are welcoming, the Protestants mostly aren't.

I am stunned that someone can actually say that. Placing one group above the other as if we live under apartheid.
I read a comment there that said something about the paramilitaries and yes there are still some people who fight with them but the majority of people would be welcoming to anyone, no matter what background. Saying Catholics are more welcoming than Protestants is 100% inaccurate in any case I think you should review your opinions before making presumptuous comments which would offend over half the population of our country.
And I'm not just arguing the case for Protestants. If you had said the opposite I would be arguing for Catholics because you can't judge someone due to their religion. As someone who grew up here, you soon come to learn that, I just wish more people would.
Reply 7
Pedro-the-dude
This has to be the biggest Bull **** ever dropped from someone who thinks that their country is the epitome of humanity as we know it and that every other country is a colony of barbarians who they must shed the light of righteousness onto.

'Oh I've visited the North and Republic and I intimately know everything about each of them and rather than notice their diverse and colourful culture, I'll pick apart something small I saw, that I couldn't understand and sum up my experience of both countries by it.'

Followed up by initiating a slagging match on TSR between a load of other similar minded bigots who like to disrespect anything other than their own glorious selves.

Very good, you observed that well here. Have you never seen something like this at home? I've seen it all over. Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales; I've been to all and witnessed similar things, there are pockets of racist people in all countries. Its just disappointing you had to come about it up North in your short visit.
(And don't come back to me saying it wasn't a short visit, I lived there for 3 years while I was at uni, or anything like that. It's a short visit compared to someone like me who has lived their whole life between the North and South.)

Well here is some more ******** that some idiot has told you, or you decided to make up in you own head. I went to a school in Belfast and a large percentage of the pupils there were from so called 'ethnic minorities'. They lived in a variety of places and weren't shunned into a small dilapidated area in the lower ormeau. Fair enough a lot of them were borders, but that goes to show you people want to come over her for schooling.
Also the area where I live now is in the greater South Belfast Area and it is a neighbourhood of many backgrounds protestant, catholic and people from further afield.

I also have to mention one of the popular candidates who ran for MP in South Belfast, Anna Lo from Hong Kong. If we were really all this racist surely she would have received so much abuse from people that she would have withdrawn from the election.
Oh, and here is a little point that you can stick in you pipe, "Anna Lo was the first politician born in East Asia elected to any legislative body in the United Kingdom." (Quote Wikipedia)
Who are the racist ones now?

I am stunned that someone can actually say that. Placing one group above the other as if we live under apartheid.
I read a comment there that said something about the paramilitaries and yes there are still some people who fight with them but the majority of people would be welcoming to anyone, no matter what background. Saying Catholics are more welcoming than Protestants is 100% inaccurate in any case I think you should review your opinions before making presumptuous comments which would offend over half the population of our country.
And I'm not just arguing the case for Protestants. If you had said the opposite I would be arguing for Catholics because you can't judge someone due to their religion. As someone who grew up here, you soon come to learn that, I just wish more people would.

I live in Belfast. And sorry but it's true! I'm sorry to have upset you.
Reply 8
Tiberius
Your anecdotal evidence is quite irrelevant.

On the contrary, my anecdotal evidence is quite relevant. :cool:
tinhat88
Northern Ireland, on the other hand, is the most racist country I've ever visited.

Right so you live in Belfast but say you've only visited Northern Ireland?
Hmm, there's just something about those two things that don't add up.

Also if you do live in Belfast and you're trying to put across these abstracted views backed up by your own made up evidence, then clearly you are just a bigot who is trying to start an unnecessary argument that I'm not going to bother taking part in.
Racism in Northern Ireland was in the news recently, and hit the national headlines last year in http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8104978.stm
Prince Rhyus
Racism in Northern Ireland was in the news recently, and hit the national headlines last year in http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8104978.stm

To be fair I would not call it 'racism' when a community of people stand up against Roma gypsies begging on their streets and comitting crime.

I applaud those in belfast that stand against these unwanted immigrants who contribute NOTHING to the Belfast community.

Unless you have lived in an area with a large Roma community, I will have to say that you don't know what your talking about.
Reply 12
Yes but do the Irish have the sexy Northern Irish accent?

No.

They win. :smile:
LolitaAnnabella
To be fair I would not call it 'racism' when a community of people stand up against Roma gypsies begging on their streets and comitting crime.

I applaud those in belfast that stand against these unwanted immigrants who contribute NOTHING to the Belfast community.

Unless you have lived in an area with a large Roma community, I will have to say that you don't know what your talking about.

So why did politicians of all sides respond like so:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8105124.stm ?
Prince Rhyus
So why did politicians of all sides respond like so:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8105124.stm ?

Because politicians dont live in the real world. Politicians live in nice big houses in nice big areas away from the misery that these Roma gypsies cause.
blanket statement people? That is so innaccurate to say Catholics are more welcoming than protestants. Due to my uni course etc. we have done quite a few mixers with St. Marys etc. so I can see some points from both sides.

It is very dependent on the person as opposed to the label. I am feeling like slipping a terrorist group in and asking if they are welcoming but I'll resist the urge.

The cultural differences between Ireland and Northern Ireland can be demonstrated in part by 'Making History' by Brian Friel. Northern Ireland culture is more english-based (sports, activities etc.) whereas Ireland is different.
Reply 16
tradingmyheartforyours
blanket statement people? That is so innaccurate to say Catholics are more welcoming than protestants. Due to my uni course etc. we have done quite a few mixers with St. Marys etc. so I can see some points from both sides.

It is very dependent on the person as opposed to the label. I am feeling like slipping a terrorist group in and asking if they are welcoming but I'll resist the urge.

The cultural differences between Ireland and Northern Ireland can be demonstrated in part by 'Making History' by Brian Friel. Northern Ireland culture is more english-based (sports, activities etc.) whereas Ireland is different.

It was a blanket statement, for which I apologise.

Northrn ireland really isn't black and white. I shouldn't say "Protestants are this" "Catholics are that". After all, I've met who Catholics who are in the PSNI, breaking a stereotype, and Protestants who speak Irish, which again breaks a stereotype.

HOWEVER

The Republic and the North have grown further apart culturally since partition. There are some all-Ireland institutions, like rugby, hurling and gaelic football, which have a big following North and South.
Reply 17
pamelaa
Yes but do the Irish have the sexy Northern Irish accent?

No.

They win. :smile:

There are many different accents in ireland. People in county donegal, the republic, have a very similar accent to Northern Ireland.
tinhat88
There are many different accents in ireland. People in county donegal, the republic, have a very similar accent to Northern Ireland.

The Irish accent is far sexier than the accents (any) in Northern Ireland. :love:
Reply 19
LolitaAnnabella
The Republic Of Ireland has more culture in its little finger than N. Ireland has as a whole.

The Republic has per head of the population contributed more than any other country in the fields of literature, poetry and music.
N. Irish culture is English Bowler Hats, sectarian parades and blown off kneecaps.

N.Ireland is a ********.

Some examples? I bet most of the greats came about when the Republic wasn’t even a country

Latest

Trending

Trending