Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will be 25 when I start in September and moving into halls, I am just wondering what it will be like for someone my age. i.e will I be isolated because I will be not in the same age range of the usual university age, and considered to young by mature students in 30's/40's etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to start university at the age of 29 (though I won't be moving into halls), so I understand your concerns. However, I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you. 25 is hardly over the hill! I'm sure that whether you will fit in and makes friends depends far more on your attitude than your biological age. A friend of mine is just about to start her second year (she is 27) and she has had no problems making friends, both with the 18-year-olds and with other mature students. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    one of my best mates from uni is in her 40's. Since im one of the oldest out of the young ones in year, i do feel the age gap. But i get on great with the more mature students, they seem more on my level. There over the immature age and you can have a fun while meaningful conversation with them. The only downside ive found is the dating prospects are a bit of a pain, everyone is too young for me, 18 year olds etc.

ReputationRep:
    I was 25 when I started Uni last year, and it has been fine. I was really lucky that I was able to live in halls specifically for mature and postgrad students, although undergrads were in a very definite minority. It definitely made a few things easier ( ie that study was a priority ... ), but I have friends who are 18 and friends who are 50+. There can be a problem with a very few 'older' mature students, who can occasionally be a little cliquey and unwelcoming to someone 'younger', but it really depends on your own attitude, and whether you're willing to work at making your own friends and finding a place for yourself.

Socially I definitely haven't been isolated - although I do tend to spend most time with other mature students (simply because Uni events tend not to be aimed at my interests!) I definitely don't lack for fun! I'm sure you will be fine, and the benefits of being a student and working for a degree far outweigh the occasional disadvantages you get from being a little older.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it wil be fine. I'm one of the older mature students, and our social group at Uni involves all ages from 18 - 50+.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 29 - about to start my 2nd year. About 1/4 of my year (50 odd people) are mature students...

ReputationRep:
    I will be 20 years old by the time I start university. It does worry me a little I suppose, but I've been told that there are many people who begin university aged in their 20s, so the social aspect shouldn't be too much of a problem.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.