Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will be 25 when I start in September and moving into halls, I am just wondering what it will be like for someone my age. i.e will I be isolated because I will be not in the same age range of the usual university age, and considered to young by mature students in 30's/40's etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to start university at the age of 29 (though I won't be moving into halls), so I understand your concerns. However, I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you. 25 is hardly over the hill! I'm sure that whether you will fit in and makes friends depends far more on your attitude than your biological age. A friend of mine is just about to start her second year (she is 27) and she has had no problems making friends, both with the 18-year-olds and with other mature students. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    one of my best mates from uni is in her 40's. Since im one of the oldest out of the young ones in year, i do feel the age gap. But i get on great with the more mature students, they seem more on my level. There over the immature age and you can have a fun while meaningful conversation with them. The only downside ive found is the dating prospects are a bit of a pain, everyone is too young for me, 18 year olds etc.

ReputationRep:
    I was 25 when I started Uni last year, and it has been fine. I was really lucky that I was able to live in halls specifically for mature and postgrad students, although undergrads were in a very definite minority. It definitely made a few things easier ( ie that study was a priority ... ), but I have friends who are 18 and friends who are 50+. There can be a problem with a very few 'older' mature students, who can occasionally be a little cliquey and unwelcoming to someone 'younger', but it really depends on your own attitude, and whether you're willing to work at making your own friends and finding a place for yourself.

Socially I definitely haven't been isolated - although I do tend to spend most time with other mature students (simply because Uni events tend not to be aimed at my interests!) I definitely don't lack for fun! I'm sure you will be fine, and the benefits of being a student and working for a degree far outweigh the occasional disadvantages you get from being a little older.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it wil be fine. I'm one of the older mature students, and our social group at Uni involves all ages from 18 - 50+.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 29 - about to start my 2nd year. About 1/4 of my year (50 odd people) are mature students...

ReputationRep:
    I will be 20 years old by the time I start university. It does worry me a little I suppose, but I've been told that there are many people who begin university aged in their 20s, so the social aspect shouldn't be too much of a problem.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.