Caught speeding on the motorway?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Victoria_25
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I know it was stupid to speed and I shouldn't have done so, and won't do again- so please dont lecture me on that, I just have a ltitle enquiry.

I was driving home one night and my speedo said I was doing about 88mph, I looked up and saw a Police cark parked on the motoway bridge. I presume he was speed gunning people.

I'd also be fairly sure I got caught? I wasnt the only one on that stretch of motorway but I was in the "fast" lane.

How much will my fine be and how many points? Im really worried about getting a ban. :/
Oasis Jnr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well if you was speeding and you know you got caught, then you might as well just speed up, eh?

either way, your gonna find a hefty fine beside your pillow
Libtolu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
TBH i've never understood the whole fast lane concept because if everyone drove the speed limit all the lanes would move at the same speed.

And it's the motorway ffs why do we even need a speed limit on it.
Victoria_25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oasis Jnr)
well if you was speeding and you know you got caught, then you might as well just speed up, eh?

either way, your gonna find a hefty fine beside your pillow
How much is hefty?
Gez6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldnt worry about it- if they even did get you, they are more lax about it on the motorway, 88's not that much over and as long as you wern't driving like a ****, cutting people up and stuff they probably wont do you. A mate of mine got pulled doing well over a ton on his bike and they let him off with a warning.
kas0
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
IF you were driving at 88mph but sensibly then you might get away with it.
IF you were driving at 88mph irresponsibly then you could be looking at 3 points and £120 fine.

IF your lucky enough to have not got caught, be careful next time
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Libtolu)
TBH i've never understood the whole fast lane concept because if everyone drove the speed limit all the lanes would move at the same speed.

And it's the motorway ffs why do we even need a speed limit on it.
its not a 'fast' lane, the idea is that you drive in the left hand lane, use the middle to overtake, and the right to overtake the people in the middle lane.
no everyone on the motorway can do 70, truck for instance are usually speed limited, it means that its a lot easier to get past them.

and op, they may well have been doing vehicle checks, looking for not tax/no insurance with the ANPR system, you'll find out in a few weeks - if you don't get a letter then they didn't catch you.
Victoria_25
Rep:
?
If they were speed gunning, would they be sitting in the car or standing outside of it?

Also, if my speedo said 88mph, what would GPS say? What would my actual speed be, isnt there a margin of error with speedos?

I am genuinely sorry for going that speed, not just worrying about getting caught. It was very foolish of me, and it will slow me down from now on- for sure.
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Victoria_25)
I know it was stupid to speed and I shouldn't have done so, and won't do again- so please dont lecture me on that, I just have a ltitle enquiry.

I was driving home one night and my speedo said I was doing about 88mph, I looked up and saw a Police cark parked on the motoway bridge. I presume he was speed gunning people.

I'd also be fairly sure I got caught? I wasnt the only one on that stretch of motorway but I was in the "fast" lane.

How much will my fine be and how many points? Im really worried about getting a ban. :/

lol if you WERE caught, its 3 points a a nice £60 fine..you wont get banned ffs, ive got 2 speeding fines against me!

However its highly unlikely, if they caught you out for going 88mph then they'd probably need to get the majority of drivers on the motorway, most go 80mph
The Toffy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If they were speed gunning, would they be sitting in the car or standing outside of it?

Also, if my speedo said 88mph, what would GPS say? What would my actual speed be, isnt there a margin of error with speedos?

I am genuinely sorry for going that speed, not just worrying about getting caught. It was very foolish of me, and it will slow me down from now on- for sure.
Outside. Your actual speed would probably be around 84mph if its similar to my car. Mines always about 5-10% higher than what i'm actually doing.
And don't worry. I've been faster
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

car speedos are usually 10% out (so if they read 50, you where actually going about 45) and the cameras are only accurate to 10% (so in a 30, they will only flash for 33)
Victoria_25
Rep:
?
Well the police car was parked up on the bridge- there was no one standing on the outside of the car :confused: can they gun you from inside?

I will be scared to go over 70 now lol...I worry about stuff so much.
Oasis Jnr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How much is hefty?
perhaps around 100- 140 pounds but you may be lucky to get less
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oasis Jnr)
perhaps around 100- 140 pounds but you may be lucky to get less

lol ********
hobo06
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If it was a car and a standard hand held gun, wouldn't they have to pull you over there and then to issue the fine/points? Since the handheld gun only records your speed and is not enough evidence to be brought against you in the future. Whereas the camera in an actual van (and obviously permanent speed cameras) also take a photo, and can be used as evidence for a fine/points through the post.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Victoria_25
Rep:
?
Is there any chance I could have gotten away with it, given the circumstances I outlined?

Doing 88 according to speedo, slowed right down to 80. I made it look like I was overtaking on that lane and safely pulled into the middle lane. There was no one standing outside of the police vehicle?
RyanT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kas0)
IF you were driving at 88mph but sensibly
Does not compute.

Is there any chance I could have gotten away with it, given the circumstances I outlined?

Doing 88 according to speedo, slowed right down to 80. I made it look like I was overtaking on that lane and safely pulled into the middle lane. There was no one standing outside of the police vehicle?
If you had to break the speed limit to over-take then you shouldn't be overtaking to begin with. That excuse really will not cut it.

You are over-reacting however, for all you know they could of been busy munching on doughnuts whilst discussing the world cup.
Idiot-Finder
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

They can get you from inside. Just luck if they got you or not.

They have to send the letter within 2 weeks of the incident, if they do not.. don't accept the fine or points.

Here is what comes out for you on a calculator:

Eligible for COFP instead? Yes: £60 + 3 points
Normal fine range: £88 - £263
Disqualification possible? No
Maximum fine: £2500
So you could just get 3 points and £60 although its quite possible it will be £120 odd.
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RyanT)
Does not compute.

If you had to break the speed limit to over-take then you shouldn't be overtaking to begin with. That excuse really will not cut it.

You are over-reacting however, for all you know they could of been busy munching on doughnuts whilst discussing the world cup.

oh **** off, 88mph is probably less than the rest of the cars on the motorway
jk1986
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought if they wanted to fine you using the speed gun (rather than the mobile van), they needed someone further up to pull you over.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (137)
14.44%
I'm not sure (42)
4.43%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (286)
30.14%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.53%
I'm not a current university student (460)
48.47%

Watched Threads