General Studies unnecessary? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by luke88)
One hour a week is nothing, plus if it is 'easy' you will fly through the exams so they shouldn't matter.
Most universities so except it and even if they don't, GS examines your many skills and helps you to form opinions and educates you about things you might of not done before.
With one hour a week you can earn yourself another useful AS level. Spending 9 hours of your life doing General Studies is pointless when you could have spent the time revising for your main subjects. No General Studies does not examine any skill at all. Anyone doing decent A-Levels would have numerical and literacy skills anyway. You don't need General Studies to formulate your own opinions, I have not done General Studies personally, yet I can still form my own opinion. What does GS teach you?
emma_1987
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I didnt learn anything that I didn't already know! Why do I need to answer the question, 'Which generation would you prefer to live in...your grandparents, parents, yours or your childrens?'
luke88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by darkenergy)
With one hour a week you can earn yourself another useful AS level. Spending 9 hours of your life doing General Studies is pointless when you could have spent the time revising for your main subjects. No General Studies does not examine any skill at all. Anyone doing decent A-Levels would have numerical and literacy skills anyway. You don't need General Studies to formulate your own opinions, I have not done General Studies personally, yet I can still form my own opinion. What does GS teach you?
It has taught me things in the specification... for instance.... I didn't even know what words like Stereotype meant, thanks to my GS lessons, now I do.
I have learnt how to write essays properly, interpret data in a different way, write analyically, take many view points and conclude with my own view point.

I didn't learn anything like this at school.
emma_1987
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It has taught me things in the specification... for instance.... I didn't even know what words like Stereotype meant, thanks to my GS lessons, now I do.
I have learnt how to write essays properly, interpret data in a different way, write analyically, take many view points and conclude with my own view point.

I've been taught all those things through my other subjects at school....interpreting data in maths, geography, sciences. Writing analytically in English, as well as expressing view points etc. All those things you have mentionned are all part of the curriculum of other subjects! There is no need to test students on such things which they are supposed to already know how to do. It is not only wasting their time, but the majority of teachers who have to teach it dont see it as a valuable subject either.
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

You learn to write essays from year 7 onwards. Surely interpreting data is just common sense? Of course unless you are talking about hypothesis testing and statistical analysis, it is a different matter. Whether statistical techniques are applied correctly can often change what the data is really showing, but I doubt they teach you that in GS.
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by emma_1987)
I've been taught all those things through my other subjects at school....interpreting data in maths, geography, sciences. Writing analytically in English, as well as expressing view points etc. All those things you have mentionned are all part of the curriculum of other subjects! There is no need to test students on such things which they are supposed to already know how to do. It is not only wasting their time, but the majority of teachers who have to teach it dont see it as a valuable subject either.
Geography? :rolleyes: "Geography is harder than Maths"......(according to a reliable source).

anyway: :dito:
emma_1987
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Geography? :rolleyes: "Geography is harder than Maths"......(according to a reliable source).

anyway: :dito:
Which reliable source said 'Geography is harder than Maths'????????!
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Barnes. We have had that argument many times, as much as I would like to disagree with it, sadly it's true.
emma_1987
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Barnes. We have had that argument many times, as much as I would like to disagree with it, sadly it's true.

is it actually true? How come?
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well he is living proof. He never does much work (though prob. does some at home..). Geography does seem a lot of learning to do, of course Biology is harder. Maths is easier, but more useful.
emma_1987
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well he is living proof. He never does much work (though prob. does some at home..). Geography does seem a lot of learning to do, of course Biology is harder. Maths is easier, but more useful.

geography is just learning the facts, admittedly its a lot to learn. Maths is more about being able to apply what you have learnt, which I find much more difficult! Personally, I can just learn things, but Maths is harder for me!
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by emma_1987)
geography is just learning the facts, admittedly its a lot to learn. Maths is more about being able to apply what you have learnt, which I find much more difficult! Personally, I can just learn things, but Maths is harder for me!
emm I s'pose. Biology was a bloody nightmare. :mad: Lots of stuff wasn't covered in lessons or not enough. Luckily I had the exam board's module book. :cool:

yeah maths can be difficult...but if you do every question in the Heinemann book its easy too.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (279)
27.51%
No (735)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed