Life, the universe and everything Watch

This discussion is closed.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hmm... boredom is setting in now.
So i thought of a boring pointless discussion topic.

What is life, the universe and everything?

I know there isn't an absolute answer, so i'll rephrase that.

What does life, the universe and everything mean to you?
(and i am expecting answers refering to hitchhikers, as thats where the phrase is from, but more serious and less cliche'd answers would be welcomed)
El_Borish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)

(and i am expecting answers refering to hitchhikers, as thats where the phrase is from, but more serious and less cliche'd answers would be welcomed)
did consider this for a while, and decided the answwer was: *to search, but never find* (think i put that somewhere else on UKL too). someone said people found love, but i dont find this a satisfactory answer really, its not like love solves eevrything.
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I think about this quite a lot and find it quite depressing.

I have come to the conclusion that none of it means anything and life is definetly what you make of it.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Right, the meaning is 42. Thanks Douglas Adams. On a more serious note. It is all that is, all that was, all that will be, all that could be.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Right, the meaning is 42. Thanks Douglas Adams. On a more serious note. It is all that is, all that was, all that will be, all that could be.

Meaning...?

Life is, as I think someone already said, up to you to make it what you will. As for a higher meaning, I don't think there is one. It just... happened.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Meaning...?

Life is, as I think someone already said, up to you to make it what you will. As for a higher meaning, I don't think there is one. It just... happened.
The meaning of life being 42 comes from Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. I threw it in for Iluvatar's sake
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
The meaning of life being 42 comes from Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. I threw it in for Iluvatar's sake

I knew about the 42 (isn't the Question 'what is 6 times 5' or something equally stupid?) - I meant about 'all that is, all that was, all that will be, all that could be'... very deep
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadNatSci)
I knew about the 42 (isn't the Question 'what is 6 times 5' or something equally stupid?)
Why is that stupid?
The point is that it is practically impossible to work out the question, so what does the answer matter?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
The meaning of life being 42 comes from Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.
<pedant>42 is actually the answer to the ultimate question of life the universe and everything - point being that if you ask a silly question you get a silly answer. The question to the answer turned out to be 6*9, which equals 42 if you work it out in base 13, but as the great man(DNA) said "Nobody writes jokes in base 13."
</pedant>

Sorry anyone would think I'm a big fan of the books but I prefer the dirk gently books.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why is that stupid?
The point is that it is practically impossible to work out the question, so what does the answer matter?

Sorry, didn't mean stupid in an insulting way Just meant daft. I thought I remembered reading they discovered the Question, that it was aas stated above and the conclusion was that 'the Universe was screwed'... Must find the books again and see if I can find that quote.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
<pedant>42 is actually the answer to the ultimate question of life the universe and everything - point being that if you ask a silly question you get a silly answer. The question to the answer turned out to be 6*9, which equals 42 if you work it out in base 13, but as the great man(DNA) said "Nobody writes jokes in base 13."
</pedant>

Sorry anyone would think I'm a big fan of the books but I prefer the dirk gently books.
No, the point is if you do not know the question, who needs the answer?

Hmm... i've never tried a joke in base 13 before.
I'll see if i can think of one.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
</pedant>

NB DNA = Douglas Noel Adams U42
Sorry I'm really showing my hootoo now aren't I? :cool:
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

They're good books, don't apologise!
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Well i dont think anyone thought you meant DNA, as in the genetic structure of people, said something like that.
I dont think DNA (not Adams, the genetic stuff) understands humour anyway!!!
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, the point is if you do not know the question, who needs the answer?

Hmm... i've never tried a joke in base 13 before.
I'll see if i can think of one.
wow, those books really do have a cult following over in Britain don't they. All my friends thought I was strange for answering 42 all the time. Oddly enough their parents always gave a wry smile, as did teachers at school
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
wow, those books really do have a cult following over in Britain don't they. All my friends thought I was strange for answering 42 all the time. Oddly enough their parents always gave a wry smile, as did teachers at school
although DNA started the h2g2 site there is a good proportion of researchers who have no idea who he is :eek: or worse know who he is and don't like the books :eek: :eek:

Dirk Gently is much more fun to read though...I always use his navigation technique when lost driving: simply to find any car that looks as if it knew where it is going and follow it.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
although DNA started the h2g2 site there is a good proportion of researchers who have no idea who he is :eek: or worse know who he is and don't like the books :eek: :eek:

Dirk Gently is much more fun to read though...I always use his navigation technique when lost driving: simply to find any car that looks as if it knew where it is going and follow it.
It works for me. I'm a country boy ya see, and I had to pick someone up from the heart of Sydney once. And Sydney's street system is in a word, STUFFED, but I found a car that headed toward a sign I recognised. So I followed, and sure enough, this same car turned at all the right signs and got me about 80% of the way to where I needed to be
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
It works for me. I'm a country boy ya see, and I had to pick someone up from the heart of Sydney once. And Sydney's street system is in a word, STUFFED, but I found a car that headed toward a sign I recognised. So I followed, and sure enough, this same car turned at all the right signs and got me about 80% of the way to where I needed to be
I have ended up in the middle of a maze of a suburb watching as the person I was following pulls into their drive though
Made my entire day - didn't stop laughing all the way home
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chris_)
I think about this quite a lot and find it quite depressing.

I have come to the conclusion that none of it means anything and life is definetly what you make of it.
ill second that
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
ill second that
haven't you been banned yet?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (7)
31.82%
No (13)
59.09%
Don't know (2)
9.09%

Watched Threads