Successful Oxbridge applicants? Are either of ur parents teachers??!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
babylon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lala)
I know more classicists then that, none of whom your assertion fits. And no everyone doesnt care about entrance stats, or subjects like E&M wouldnt be so oversubscribed, and nobody would apply to those colleges seen as difficult to get into.

exactly........i applied for E+M.....i realised it was very competitive but i would NEVER ever consider applying for a course like classics or archaeology just so i could get into oxford. imagine i did, and was offered a place.........my next 3 yrs would be hell, and i may end up with a 3rd class degree if even that. u gotta be kidding me. although i'm not so sure about what u would do with a classics degree in the first place........so i'm sure people r geniunely interested.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My mum was a teacher a long time ago (she quit before I was born) but she taught English and I was applying for Medicine, so she didn't have much helpful subject info! She did help me a bit with my personal statement, I admit, but I guess a lot of people had that. Neither of my parents went to Oxbridge - Mum went to Westfield College, London and Dad went to Hull, but both of Dad's brothers went to Trinity, Cambridge, and Mum's brother went to Catz, Camb (her sister went to LSE). So I guess I am fairly privileged, but I'd resent anyone who said I only got in because of that :mad:
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
My mum was a teacher a long time ago (she quit before I was born) but she taught English and I was applying for Medicine, so she didn't have much helpful subject info! She did help me a bit with my personal statement, I admit, but I guess a lot of people had that. Neither of my parents went to Oxbridge - Mum went to Westfield College, London and Dad went to Hull, but both of Dad's brothers went to Trinity, Cambridge, and Mum's brother went to Catz, Camb (her sister went to LSE). So I guess I am fairly privileged, but I'd resent anyone who said I only got in because of that :mad:
As I said before I seriously doubt that you could have only gotten in (or have any advantage over the other applicants) because of that. One of my closest friends got into Cam and even though over half of her family went to oxbridge she definitely earned her place through hard work and determination. It's not your fault you have a good gene pool
B00kwOrm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
As I said before I seriously doubt that you could have only gotten in (or have any advantage over the other applicants) because of that. One of my closest friends got into Cam and even though over half of her family went to oxbridge she definitely earned her place through hard work and determination. It's not your fault you have a good gene pool
No doubt one of you two medics will discover that gene... the famous "Oxbridge gene" and get a Nobel Prize and half a dozen honorary PhDs/DPhils thrown at you by unversities... Then thousands of people will pay you to genetically breed their children into Oxbridge students... :eek: This is what the future looks like

One of my teachers at school, who encouraged me to apply to Cambridge has three daughters, two went to Cambridge, one to Oxford and her (future) sons-in-law are also from Oxbridge The gene exists!!

Are you still interested in Oxbridge quotations, Lucy?
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My mum's a teacher, but of special needs, so couldn't give me much help with my Cambridge application! Loopy2, have u been reading Elfi Pallis' book Oxbridge: The Real Rules?
butterflew
Report 15 years ago
my mum is not only a teacher, but went ot st annes oxford: my dad is in IT and went to kings cam: but neither me nor my bro got into ox/ cam (respectively)... in the end it aint got nuttin to do with your parents i reckon! (unless you happen to be chelsea clinton applying to Univ college of course)
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by loopy2)
Not sour grapes just curious. 4 of the people I know who've got a place this year just happen to have one parent (their mum) who's a teacher. Also my neighbour who has got all her four children into Oxford over the last 6 years is also a teacher. And her kids definitely applied for undersubscribed no-hoper courses. Interested to hear ur views. Think about it.
Stop trying to steal peoples ideas......Elfi Pallis, author of Oxbridge Admissions: the Real rules, has already given her theory on this.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My mother is an unemployed manic depressive, my father is a bankrupt, my Grandfather is a tribal warrior and my Grandmother is a part time Madam in a brothel. My uncle is a macdonalds crew member and my brother is a shoe repair man. My second cousin is a primary school classroom assistant......

Thankgod for Second cousins!
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Nope, my Dad's a civil servant and my Mom no loner works (she also used to be a civil servant).
loopy2
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
My mum's a teacher, but of special needs, so couldn't give me much help with my Cambridge application! Loopy2, have u been reading Elfi Pallis' book Oxbridge: The Real Rules?

No actually...but great minds obviously think alike!!The neighbour I referred to in the original post was also a special needs (she of the 4 kids who got into Ox)
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No actually...but great minds obviously think alike!!The neighbour I referred to in the original post was also a special needs (she of the 4 kids who got into Ox)
A mind so great it spits out rubbish such as the ratio of applicants to places for an oxbridge degree determining how much 'hope' it has. Great indeed.
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mentally Ill)
My mother is an unemployed manic depressive, my father is a bankrupt, my Grandfather is a tribal warrior and my Grandmother is a part time Madam in a brothel. My uncle is a macdonalds crew member and my brother is a shoe repair man. My second cousin is a primary school classroom assistant......

Thankgod for Second cousins!
LOL!
Sar
Report 15 years ago
Not sour grapes just curious. 4 of the people I know who've got a place this year just happen to have one parent (their mum) who's a teacher. Also my neighbour who has got all her four children into Oxford over the last 6 years is also a teacher. And her kids definitely applied for undersubscribed no-hoper courses. Interested to hear ur views. Think about it.
I just got a place at Camb and neither of my rents are teachers. Neither of them went to uni for that matter, both left school at 16. I'm the first (or will be if I get the grades!) xx
Sar
Report 15 years ago
One thing I've noticed about classicists is that they are virtually all privately educated because I guess state schools don't do as much latin or Greek!! There seem to be an awful lot of classicists around now: any link between that and fact that state schools are getting a fairer crack or the whip?! Or do they really ALL adore their subject..I doubt it..
I did Latin and I'm at a state Grammar! Though you're right, it is encouraged more in the public school sector. xx
loopy2
A mind so great it spits out rubbish such as the ratio of applicants to places for an oxbridge degree determining how much 'hope' it has. Great indeed.
You certainly live up to your chosen name
lala
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You certainly live up to your chosen name
as do you.
loopy2
(Original post by lala)
as do you.
idem
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
For the classicists, I wonder if I'll live up to my name
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Stop trying to steal peoples ideas......Elfi Pallis, author of Oxbridge Admissions: the Real rules, has already given her theory on this.
Give us a clue on what this book is about please
daumal
Report 15 years ago
My mother's a deputy headteacher, my dad's a chemistry teacher

My cousin's spent the last year teaching english in columbia, my other cousin's currently teaching english in Japan.

Both my grandparents on my mother's side were teachers, woodwork and home economics (I think)

...and I still got rejected.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise