Successful Oxbridge applicants? Are either of ur parents teachers??!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
gapperslacker
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
thsi thread does seem to have wandered off at a slight tangent. However, I have to disagree with whoever thinks most of the medics are no-hopers. The reason the BMAT now has such a heavy weighting (at oxford and cambridge; one of cam's fellows said it had much more influence than the interview) is because there are too many excellent applicants. When I applied there were about 80 people, all of whom had perfect grades, head boy/girl etc, going for 6 places. Of course, I'm not saying that a higher applicant to place ratio means the quality is always higher, but it does make it more likely, just as the number of average an dbad will also increase. just to reiterate, there are few "hopeless" potential medics. no-one wants to apply and be totally humiliated. and as for applying for "easy" subjects; if i applied for land economy there'd be no way i'd get a place, as i have no idea about it. The people are still bright, some of them even intelligent enough to work thre system.
Bond
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loopy2)
Lala. No my views on classics being an easier option to get into read at Oxbridge haven't changed despite your constant sniping to get me to reply or change my mind.
But your replies on this thread are seriously BORING and longwinded which puts others off...
So this is my last post on this subject...

LEVITY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE.
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Not sour grapes just curious. 4 of the people I know who've got a place this year just happen to have one parent (their mum) who's a teacher. Also my neighbour who has got all her four children into Oxford over the last 6 years is also a teacher. And her kids definitely applied for undersubscribed no-hoper courses. Interested to hear ur views. Think about it.
I got in to Cam for architecture and i'm the first in my family to go to uni and parents don't have very highly reguarded jobs, by any stretch of the imagination.
mussed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Okay, nothing at oxford is no-hoper.

And I got in, my 'rents are both doctors but I'm going to do maths and phil. I was never in my life helped with my homework. I got into Oxford on my IQ. Stop being so bitter: I'm sure you got into somewhere good, and if nothing else interviews should have taught you that lots of places are good.

As far as applicant nos go, we had double usual nos for maths and joint schools at Queen's.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not sour grapes just curious. 4 of the people I know who've got a place this year just happen to have one parent (their mum) who's a teacher. Also my neighbour who has got all her four children into Oxford over the last 6 years is also a teacher. And her kids definitely applied for undersubscribed no-hoper courses. Interested to hear ur views. Think about it.
My mother's an English teacher, and i'm not an oxbridge candidate
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads