Report 13 years ago
Film Studies is not on the list? :eek:
stoney
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by emma_1987)
Unfortunately, I think most of them are right! I'm not saying this is my opinion, but most people seem to think that any subject followed by the word 'studies' is a waste of time!!
yeah i have noticed that to be the general concensus here. I agree, however I think maybe law shouldnt be on it, it seems as though that subject is gaining more respect at alevel these days
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by anightowl)
I know Politics and History arn't mickey mouse subjects, and I don't think RE is either. :/
Nor is sociology.
emma_1987
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by stoney)
yeah i have noticed that to be the general concensus here. I agree, however I think maybe law shouldnt be on it, it seems as though that subject is gaining more respect at alevel these days

really? I read a post earlier about A level law and its lack of respect due the number of 'corners cut,' and lack of depth in its teaching. Never looked at whats involved on the syllabus though, so no idea how it compares to a degree. Any idea? Do they overlap at all?
Icy Ghost
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Isn't Psychology supposed to be a little bit of a mm subject? .....

Not my opinion though! Just the opinion of others I have heard...
emma_1987
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Frosty Phantom)
Isn't Psychology supposed to be a little bit of a mm subject? .....

Not my opinion though! Just the opinion of others I have heard...

I'm not sure how many schools offer it? Mine doesnt...not sure how many in the area do? Or nationally?
stoney
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by emma_1987)
really? I read a post earlier about A level law and its lack of respect due the number of 'corners cut,' and lack of depth in its teaching. Never looked at whats involved on the syllabus though, so no idea how it compares to a degree. Any idea? Do they overlap at all?
i'm not sure actually lol i dont do law (so maybe i'm not in a great position to comment), i have heard alot of talk about it cutting corners so to speak but i heard from one of my friends who wants to do law that thats an old view only held by a handful of uni's
stoney
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
psych get alot of bad rep but to be honest theres no need for it, its quite a strong scientific subject in its roots just due to the fact that its a very popular subject these days it makes it seem like a subject people cant take seriously
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
Why is a subject bad just because most schools don't offer them?

If the school is so backwards it can't offer anything new then that's what's to blame, not the subject.

Law is hard, dammit. >.<
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
I disagree with the fact that subjects are being discredited when the same amount of work goes into them as others. When I emailed Uclan they said that they credited all A Level subjects.
eXis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yes, but its a well known fact, you have your sciences, then your english, then the humanities. Its an order, thats been a stance like that for years. We cant change it.
LawQueen
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I get quite annoyed when people think Religious Studies is a mickey mouse subject as it is really challenging and hard-completely different from the gcse. I can see why they have law up there though-although it is enjoyable it is (let's face it) easier than other.
I'm worried that I have a bad 'mickey mouse' combination of a-levels now! Religious studies, chemistry and law
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But remember just because LSE says it's mickey mouse doesn't mean every other university feels the same way.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think the LSE list is pretty accurate, but I was very surpised that film studies isn't on it since I didn't think it was any more respected than media studies. I was also very pleased to notice that sociology isn't on it, which means that according to LSE I don't do any 'mickey mouse' subjects. Not that I'm applying there anyway!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by LH)
But remember just because LSE says it's mickey mouse doesn't mean every other university feels the same way.
Exactly to be honest I think these threads are quite lame. It really depends on the person, for example if you want to setup you own business then business studies is not a waste of time.

I am also amazed that design technology is considered mickey mouse (thats if that includes the option for Electronics like GCSE) as Electronics is possibly one of the hardest A levels you can do.
anon53
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm taking Religious Studies, English and Information Technology AS courses in September and as has already been said, it depends on the strengths and weaknesses of the individual concerned. I can't help feeling that this has been discussed to death and possibly a thread too many.
tis_me_lord
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
I think the LSE list is pretty accurate, but I was very surpised that film studies isn't on it since I didn't think it was any more respected than media studies. I was also very pleased to notice that sociology isn't on it, which means that according to LSE I don't do any 'mickey mouse' subjects. Not that I'm applying there anyway!
But I definitely find sociology easier then law (despite the higher mark in law...)
dappleddawndrawndauphin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why are there so many threads on this?!
dappleddawndrawndauphin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
Why is a subject bad just because most schools don't offer them?

If the school is so backwards it can't offer anything new then that's what's to blame, not the subject.

Law is hard, dammit. >.<
Law is interesting That's all that matters.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1335)
79.65%
Leave (341)
20.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed