Turn on thread page Beta

mickey mouse subjects watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Law is interesting That's all that matters.
    And you, madam, are naïve. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_1987)
    really? I read a post earlier about A level law and its lack of respect due the number of 'corners cut,' and lack of depth in its teaching. Never looked at whats involved on the syllabus though, so no idea how it compares to a degree. Any idea? Do they overlap at all?
    Yep well it's bound not to be as in depth as a law degree - there's a lot of stuff in law... In every subject the level of difficulty goes up every year - GCSEs to AS's, AS's to A2s, A2s to university course.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Mickey mouse debate, although when applying to uni it is better to have 2 traditional subjects. If you want to apply for law though, actually doing law might not be the best option. The best reason I can find for this is that tutors are worried that you'll think you're at an advantage over people without the A level because you believe you know it all, when in fact university law is far more in depth.

On t'other hand if it genuinely interests you and you like the look of the course it's not a total disaster to do it; I know plenty of people who've got in to do Law at Cambridge with Law A level including 2 people from my college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    OK maybe I should've said, "That's all that matters if you actually want to enjoy two years of your life" :rolleyes: It's disturbing when people don't go for subjects they find fascinating and instead take up one that makes them miserable. As far as university goes, if you have two traditional subjects as well as law/media/whatever and real enthusiasm it's not a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Threads like these are pathetic! Why are people so interested in mickey mouse subjects?! Why go for a very respected subject that you don't enjoy rather than a mickey mouse subject which you love and will work to achieve a good grade! I know universities and a lot of people on TSR are against mickey mouse subjects, but do what you enjoy! Is it so difficult to understand?

HEAD BOY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEAD BOY)
    Threads like these are pathetic! Why are people so interested in mickey mouse subjects?!
    Because believe it or not, some people want to make something of theirselves and go to University, thus will do all they can to ensure they have the best chance of going (this includes picking subjects wisely)... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Law may be respected but has the highest drop out rate in unis which implies it's more in your interest to take something you enjoy that has a slightly lower reputation. You'll end up with a degree which is one degree more than if you choose something you don't like and drop out.

ReputationRep:
    And anyone who hasn't taken Psychology and says it's easy needs shooting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    Because believe it or not, some people want to make something of theirselves and go to University, thus will do all they can to ensure they have the best chance of going (this includes picking subjects wisely)... :rolleyes:
    Well, this includes taking subjects that they enjoy! Mickey mouse subjects or not!

HEAD BOY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily-Sarah)
    I feel like that when people talk about theatre studies and haven't taken it! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEAD BOY)
    Well, this includes taking subjects that they enjoy! Mickey mouse subjects or not!

HEAD BOY
    What is the point in picking known "micky mouse" subject(s) when you know it might hinder your chances? For most top 60 University slots, there are usually no less than 7 applicants for every place. Now you tell me how picking a subject which is poorly respected (let alone explicitly stipulated as being worthless by the University) is going to help you win a place? As for people enjoying their subjects, well if they have a good enough determination and will-to-succeed, most are willing to adapt, and start to enjoy their subjects. Besides, since when was education meant to be fun? It's not practical to have all "fun and games" when learning; there are always going to be times when work is tedious, boring and you won't always feel like doing it - it's good practice to become aware of this before venturing into Uni otherwise you might get the shock of your life and become a total drop-out.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to go slightly off topic, but after reading over this particular thread, I'm beginning to seriously doubt the subjects that i have undertaken. They are as follows:

maths (definitely)
    english lit (definitely)
    business (unsure)
    psychology('unsure)

Various universities don't offer business and/or psychology as a combination with my two 'proper' subjects. I know I should be choosing subjects I enjoy, but I still wish to pursue onto a respectable university. Therefore, would it be wise to choose german or another science, as I did recieve good GCSE results in them, instead of psychology and/or business?

I was adamant towards not continuing with any sciences, but now i'm beginning to wonder whether i've made the wrong decision...
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    What is the point in picking known "micky mouse" subject(s) when you know it might hinder your chances?
    I'd say there's a few good reasons

a) some people find LSE-determined "micky mouse" subjects more interesting than non LSE-determined "micky mouse" subjects.
    b) you're far more likely to excel (and therfore get good grades) in a subject you enjoy.
    c) if you're not applying to LSE then LSE's list of micky mouse subjects is irrelevent to your chance of success - what IS relevent is the preferences listed by your chosen universities for your chosen course...which in 99% of cases don't specify more than 2 subjects as essential/desirable.

For most top 60 University slots, there are usually no less than 7 applicants for every place.
    Could you provide a source for this please?
    Applications per place are between 5 and 7 for most universities...however bear in mind that each applicant can make 6 applications and that statistics isn't nearly as daunting as university marketing bodies would like you to believe

Now you tell me how picking a subject which is poorly respected (let alone explicitly stipulated as being worthless by the University) is going to help you win a place?
    poorly respected by who? A university says that it isn't happy for you to take more than 1 from it's list of micky mouse subjects. It doesn't say "Don't take any of these subjects" it SAYS it prefers applicants to only have 1 from that list and 2 A levels that aren't on that list. So how does taking "a subject" (your words) which a single university has decided is less appealing (not worthless) going to damage your chances of winning a place.

ReputationRep:
    cause it is easy to pass
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Latched)
    Sorry to go slightly off topic, but after reading over this particular thread, I'm beginning to seriously doubt the subjects that i have undertaken. They are as follows:

maths (definitely)
    english lit (definitely)
    business (unsure)
    psychology('unsure)

Various universities don't offer business and/or psychology as a combination with my two 'proper' subjects. I know I should be choosing subjects I enjoy, but I still wish to pursue onto a respectable university. Therefore, would it be wise to choose german or another science, as I did recieve good GCSE results in them, instead of psychology and/or business?

I was adamant towards not continuing with any sciences, but now i'm beginning to wonder whether i've made the wrong decision...
    Please please don't pay attention to the ill-informed propaganda that is being circulated in this thread.

Psychology isn't even on LSE's stupid list (mainly because it's a bloody good A level with some extremely useful and transferable skills involved as well as the actual subject content)...so with those 4 subjects (even if you drop one that isn't business after AS) you would STILL be fine to apply to LSE.

If you enjoy business and are thinking of studying a business/management/economics type degree then it's definitely worth taking it at A level - it'll give you a much better idea of where the subject will go at a higher level and it'll give you a grounding in the basics of the subject. Don't take a subject you aren't passionate about for no good reason...study what you enjoy - admissions tutors have very little respect for people who are willing to trade in their interests and passions on the basis of what someone said on a website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily-Sarah)
    I feel that way about law... lol. But I'm not one for violence. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

maths (definitely)
    english lit (definitely)
    business (unsure)
    psychology('unsure)

Stick with your choices! Psychology may be 'mickey mouse' to some on :tsr: but LSE are the only university that actually list the subjects they don't like and psychology isn't one of them. Business studies is, but it doesn't matter because you have 3 good subjects as well. If you choose German or a science when you don't really want to just because it's 'respected' you'll probably regret it and get a low grade in it anyway because you won't want to put the work in. Just take the subjects you want to take and stuff what other people think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    How is she naive because she realises that the most important thing to consider when choosing subjects is what you enjoy? If you enjoy a subject, you'll work hard at it and get a good grade; if you don't, you won't work hard enough and you'll get a poor grade. The 'naive' ones are those who take subjects they don't like just so they can boast about how 'hard' their subjects are compared to others, put other people down for taking subjects they consider inferior depsite never having studied them and actually believe they'll get into a good university because of it. I'd much prefer someone with an A in media studies who took the subject because they enjoyed it rather than someone with an E in maths who took it to make themselves look clever.

ReputationRep:
    Yet if I ''stuff what other people think'' won't I later regret this; when universities don't accept me on the basis of my subjects. A combination of maths and further maths is highly desirable, or english and history in many of the courses, shouldn't I be picking what the universities desire?

This is so confusing...with the combination of subjects I have chosen, what courses would I be able to take?

ReputationRep:
    yeah but alot of people take maths etc because they do actually enjoy it, its not like everyone doing maths + f.maths is doing it just to make themselves look clever

ReputationRep:
    Yet if I ''stuff what other people think'' won't I later regret this; when universities don't accept me on the basis of my subjects. A combination of maths and further maths is highly desirable, or english and history in many of the courses, shouldn't I be picking what the universities desire?

This is so confusing...with the combination of subjects I have chosen, what courses would I be able to take?
    That's the thing though, most universities will not reject you based on subjects alone, unless you want to do law or medicine. Most will just ask for grades and they can be in pretty much any subjects. Some universities don't like subjects with a high coursework component like art, music or drama, but all your chosen subjects are academic.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.