Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostinfantasies)
    I've been told Psychology and Sociology are MM subjects. I enjoy Sociology and hopefully I'll enjoy Psychology too. It all depends on what you want to do for university - many, MANY universities I've looked at for Occupational Therapy say they want something along the lines of a Science or a Social Science at A Level. I'm doing Sociology, Psychology and Human Biology, so it should be okay.
    Yeah, you'll be fine. By the way, my cousin does occupational therapy at Plymouth and says its really good...and my Aunty is a consultant occupational therapist. Its a good job, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is respected. Both oxford and cambridge - the top universities in the country (league tables before anyone shouts at me!) - do psychology courses so it can't be that easy can it?

I took Psychology (a so-called mickey mouse subject) and it totally changed my life (no that's not being overdramatic, it changed my whole career plan). So I'd say do what you want to do, and don't let other people get in your way. It's your life not theirs.

ReputationRep:
    So is what they are saying is that a MM subject in other words a doss subject?!

Why don't schools and universities work together closely to ensure that students won't end up disappointed?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've seen alot of posts on here slating some subjects. But you must appreciate that there are some very conscientous people on here, who come on here for advice and guidance. So imagine how some may feel to have always wanted to do something, are deciding their AS/A Level choices, only to find that the subjects they want to do are being mocked and that those subjects are being deemed to be worth much less than others. I just want you all to think about something. Say someone wanted to be a journalist. An obvious subject would be Media Studies. And ICT would be a great help. And if they wanted to be a reporter, perhaps Sociology? So they tell people on here, and are told they have chosen three mickey mouse subjects. For me personally, my ambitions are a big part of who I am and if someone mocked my preferences, I'd take it as an insult. Going back to the example of someone wanting to be a journalist, to me, choosing those three subjects seems as sensible and as obvious as someone aiming to do medicine choosing chem, bio, maths and physics. Of course they are very different, but the similarity here is that the subjects are revelant to the careers. I've only decided to raise this issue because I'm aiming to possibly become a fashion buyer, and have chosen Business Studies and ICT, along with Biology. It makes perfect sense to me that if I am to do anything businessy, then I should take Business Studies, if anything to gain some of the skills I will need. So before you rush to mock someone, just think whether your point is truely valid, and for christs sake, think about their feelings.

ReputationRep:
    They have to be told though, if that is fact then they aren't doing anything wrong telling them. But at the end of the day, what they want to do they do. They ask for advice and get it, even if it is a smack in the chops. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarzy)
    Ok, I've seen alot of posts on here slating some subjects. But you must appreciate that there are some very conscientous people on here, who come on here for advice and guidance. So imagine how some may feel to have always wanted to do something, are deciding their AS/A Level choices, only to find that the subjects they want to do are being mocked and that those subjects are being deemed to be worth much less than others. I just want you all to think about something. Say someone wanted to be a journalist. An obvious subject would be Media Studies. And ICT would be a great help. And if they wanted to be a reporter, perhaps Sociology? So they tell people on here, and are told they have chosen three mickey mouse subjects. For me personally, my ambitions are a big part of who I am and if someone mocked my preferences, I'd take it as an insult. Going back to the example of someone wanting to be a journalist, to me, choosing those three subjects seems as sensible and as obvious as someone aiming to do medicine choosing chem, bio, maths and physics. Of course they are very different, but the similarity here is that the subjects are revelant to the careers. I've only decided to raise this issue because I'm aiming to possibly become a fashion buyer, and have chosen Business Studies and ICT, along with Biology. It makes perfect sense to me that if I am to do anything businessy, then I should take Business Studies, if anything to gain some of the skills I will need. So before you rush to mock someone, just think whether your point is truely valid, and for christs sake, think about their feelings.
    Completely agree.

ReputationRep:
    Can you do Mickey Mouse Studies at Disneyland? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarzy)
    This is completely rubbish. If you want to be a journalist you can do English, History and and other subject which are not MM subjects. Fashion buyer? You don't need A-Levels, go and do a AVCE/GNVQ or any vocational qualification. If you want to do Business, go and do Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solarwindstorm)
    This is completely rubbish. If you want to be a journalist you can do English, History and and other subject which are not MM subjects. Fashion buyer? You don't need A-Levels, go and do a AVCE/GNVQ or any vocational qualification. If you want to do Business, go and do Economics.
    Why should you take English and history or economics instead of subjects you actually enjoy and will probably work harder at, hence get better grades in, just because other people who've probably never even studied the subjects say they're easy? Similarly, why should someone do a vocational qualification instead of A-levels just because they don't need A-levels? They'd come in handy in the future and give you more options in case you change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Why should you take English and history or economics instead of subjects you actually enjoy and will probably work harder at, hence get better grades in, just because other people who've probably never even studied the subjects say they're easy? Similarly, why should someone do a vocational qualification instead of A-levels just because they don't need A-levels? They'd come in handy in the future and give you more options in case you change your mind.
    you need A-Levels as a fashion buyer? It's like doing a Ph.D in Computer Science to be a chef.

ReputationRep:
    you need A-Levels as a fashion buyer? It's like doing a Ph.D in Computer Science to be a chef.

Completely agree? why spend two years of your life studying for A Levels which arnt particularly respected! Just go do the vocational course, and if thats what you really want to do, why will you need the A levels later on in your life? You'll be a fashion buyer by that point, wont you?!

ReputationRep:
    I said that just because you don't need A-levels doesn't mean you shouldn't take them if you want to, and they'll give you more options just in case you do change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_1987)
    Completely agree? why spend two years of your life studying for A Levels which arnt particularly respected! Just go do the vocational course, and if thats what you really want to do, why will you need the A levels later on in your life? You'll be a fashion buyer by that point, wont you?!
    :rolleyes:

:dito:, doing A-Levels that are completely irrelevant to your profession is a waste of time, especially if the subjects are considered mickey mouse :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    in case you change your mind.
    As kelly said, she might change her mind later on, and the A levels will have come in useful in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    This statement is correct only if the assumption that the A-Levels are useful is correct. However in this case, if the subjects are considered mickey mouse subjects, then your conclusion is fundamentally flawed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frosty Phantom)
    As kelly said, she might change her mind later on, and the A levels will have come in useful in that respect.

then why not do some more respected A levels if your just doing them as a 'backup' for later on in life?

ReputationRep:
    then why not do some more respected A levels if your just doing them as a 'backup' for later on in life?
    Enjoyment maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frosty Phantom)
    Enjoyment maybe.
    surely a vocational course doing EXACTLY what you want to do as a career would be more enjoyable than sat in a classroom doing unnecessary A levels?

I'm all for people doing A Levels...as long as its for the right reasons!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    This statement is correct only if the assumption that the A-Levels are useful is correct. However in this case, if the subjects are considered mickey mouse subjects, then your conclusion is fundamentally flawed.
    OK, fair enough, if that's what you think.
    However, I think that all A levels are useful, and subjects such as Sociology, Business Studies, ICT are useful, even when they are deemed to be "Mickey Mouse". They show many of the skills that can be found in other more "respected" A levels, such as Analytical, essay-writing, independant working etc.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.