AS Chemistry coursework november 17th 2003 Watch

This discussion is closed.
nickw
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I have been given the planning practical exercise and the objective is to measure the amount of magnesium carbonate that forms on the surface of the magnesium when left in air. Also formed on the surface is magnesium hydroxide and magnesium oxide. Does anybody know a complete reaction for the formation of all these products on the magnesium surface and how i could measure the amount of the magnesium carbonate that has formed on the surface. Thanks
sazzles
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by nickw)
I have been given the planning practical exercise and the objective is to measure the amount of magnesium carbonate that forms on the surface of the magnesium when left in air. Also formed on the surface is magnesium hydroxide and magnesium oxide. Does anybody know a complete reaction for the formation of all these products on the magnesium surface and how i could measure the amount of the magnesium carbonate that has formed on the surface. Thanks
Just guessing for the equations;
2Mg+2CO2+O2 ---------->2MgCO3
2Mg+O2------->2MgO
Mg+2H2O------->Mg(OH)2+H2
I think they would occur separately and all depend on different factor, ie amount of water vapour in the air etc.
If you reacted all the magnesium with a strong acid (eg HCl) CO2 would be given off, as well as other gases-mostly O2. You could probably collect them all in a gas syringe. Not sure what you'd do next, the only methods I can think of merely give an indication of how much CO2 there is. Maybe take a sample from the gas syringe and dissolve it in water and test pH (CO2 would form a weak acid). Or mix a sample with lime water.

Hope this is of some use.
croc
Report 16 years ago
Im doing the same planning exercise if you are doing OCR chemistry, which it sounds like you are, if you look on pages 66-71 of the course textbook (Chemistry 1 Cambidge Advanced Sciences) all is explained within.
nickw
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Cheers pal. Helps alot. Nice 1
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads