Turn on thread page Beta

I have my interview with college tomorrow and I have applied for the following A Levels in hope of then becoming an accountant but my mind keeps changing between a career in Law, and a career in accountancy. So I decided I would do a law degree and the acca qualification that way I can have the choice and be qualified for both. So how good/bad are my subjects for a law degree.

Business Studies
    Physcology
    Maths
    Sociology

I think they are quite bad :confused: and perhaps should change one the subjects the college offers at Alevel are:

Business Studies
    Maths
    Human Biology
    PE
    Media Studies
    Physcology
    Sociology
    English Literature
    Law
    Art
    History

My GCSE results were:
    2 A's: Food Technology, German
    9 B's: Applied ICT, Science, Maths, English Literature, English Language, History, Religious Education

I wanna go to the Carlisle campus of the Univerisity of Central Lancashire and the specific entry requirement is: BBC, but as competition is tough, it being the only place to do a law degree in Cumbria I would hope to get at least AAAB :confused:

I think those are good subjects, but with business studies and sociology (some unis don't like those too much) you might struggle to get a top law uni.

Maybe if sociology was replaced with history it would look better, although I do both and prefer sociology, but then I'm not looking to do law at uni.

Business studies and maths should be kept, useful for an accountant, law needs essay subjects, which is where psychology and sociology/history would come in.

Thanks, I thought Psychology and Sociology would be kind of useful for Law. I am definatly keeping Business Studies. I suppose due to Maths being an academic subject it will help me with a law degree.

ReputationRep:
    Things like History, RS and English Lit would all be good because they're well-respected subjects and good for essay and analytical skills, so I would suggets replacing Sociology with History. Obviously you need to pick subjects you like but Sociology isn't very respected whereas History is and is a good qualifying A Level for Law.

I think the top law schools like you to have 2 'traditional' A2s as well if you've got something like Business Studies, Psychology, Sociology, Accounting, Art, Law, etc...so if you took Maths and History say, if you chose that, up to A2 along with one of your Psych, Socio or Bus Studs, that would be fine.

Do you like History or English Literature?

I emailed the only university I would go to and they said that they respect all subjects equally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    I emailed the only university I would go to and they said that they respect all subjects equally
    Yeah but they always say that. I don't think you can go far wrong with History for Law. Which university is it by the way?

ReputationRep:
    I was exactly in the same position as you last week!
    Imo, you could do better with either History or an English in place of either Sociology or Psychology because it would look better when applying to universities, and it could help your application by choosing a "traditional essay" subject.
    Business Studies and Maths are useful, as tis me lord said, because it could come in useful when studying accounting, and Maths goes well with Business Studies!
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    if you can or want to i think you should do a language to broaden up your choices...as languages always look good for law especially when combined with maths-this wot a teacher told me btw

i want to do law and im taking french, maths, gov n politics and psychology

ReputationRep:
    my sister started with physcology and Sociology and said they are very similar.. im be tempted to drop one.
    An essay subject or another language is a great advantage for law.. dont do a language for the sake of it - if your good at one and love doing it, then go for it, so you can apply for the M120? or whichever course it is ._. where its a law degree with a language..
    for a normal law degree, no official subjects are needed, but i still feel an essay style subject would be a helpful choice..
    too bad they dont do economics
    economics > business studies

ReputationRep:
    Your college don't offer many subjects, do they? Or are they just the ones you'd consider doing? I'd keep maths and business studies and replace either psychology or sociology with English lit or history, but only if you enjoy one of those subjects.

It also depends what kind of law you wish to do. A lot of people are saying languages are useful for it, this is especially true for say EU law, where it's all in French, but for certain types of law I don't see why it would really matter if you did French, history or even sociology.

ReputationRep:
    I'd consider History of English ie. essay-writing subjects.

(Original post by kellywood_5)
    Your college don't offer many subjects, do they? Or are they just the ones you'd consider doing? I'd keep maths and business studies and replace either psychology or sociology with English lit or history, but only if you enjoy one of those subjects.
    No they dont, its becuase they offer a load of other Btec award, diplomas and stuff in other subjects but im not interested in any of them.

Well I went this morning and they gave me an interview and I got a place, I now go on monday and all next week they are doing "Taster" sessions on each of the ALevels then on Friday we give them our final choices. So I'll see which subjects I think I will enjoy. I originally just put 3 Alevels down on my application form and the guy looked at my results and said I should do 4 instead. The guy also said I might be interested in doing Critical Thinking and the subject matter covered would be useful for a Law Degree which I agree with so I might change Sociology for Critical Thinking or do Critical Thinking to AS Level, I was given a fact sheet about it and it actually looks quite interesting.

So for a Law degree;

Critical Thinking or Sociology (or should I just stick to something like History)

ReputationRep:
    Noooooooooooo, *ahem* Critical thinking is about as respected as General Studies! It's a subject that a lot of people don't study, then do the exam for and get A's! You're far better off having Eng lit or History. If the decision really is: "Critical Thinking or Sociology" I'd have to say sociology.

None of your subjects are essay based, whereas law is an essay-assessed degree. So, even if your subjects didn't disadvantage you in getting into uni. Once you were there, you'd feel inadequate and insecure about your work, well I would anyway!

They say they respect all subjects equally, but TBH you have 3 'mickey mouse' subjects (business studies, psych, sociology) and one well respected subject (maths). You're basically just taking social sciences, and then one science. Yet Law is essay-based. :confused: I think you should exchange sociology or psychology for: Eng lit or History. :y: And if you're going to do Critical thinking, do it as an extra, not alternative to another subject.

ReputationRep:
    Hey im thinking of applying for Law, here are the subjects i took for AS:
    History (A)
    English Lit (A)
    Maths (A)
    Greek (A)

Olevels: (my school doesnt do GCSE's)

Maths B
    Eng Lang A
    Eng Lit A
    French A
    History A
    Chemistry C
    Physics B
    Music A
    PE B
    ICT A
    Greek A

Do you think i have the right combination?

I am actually considering History or English Literature now, isnt Psychology essay based?

(Original post by alexandra010588)
    Hey im thinking of applying for Law, here are the subjects i took for AS:
    History (A)
    English Lit (A)
    Maths (A)
    Greek (A)

Olevels: (my school doesnt do GCSE's)

Maths B
    Eng Lang A
    Eng Lit A
    French A
    History A
    Chemistry C
    Physics B
    Music A
    PE B
    ICT A
    Greek A

Do you think i have the right combination?
    Yea yours are fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    I am actually considering History or English Literature now, isnt Psychology essay based?
    No, it's not. The only time you ever write, and what you write matters is in the exams, and they aren't essays. You don't need an introduction, middle and conclusion. You just babble on, make points, it requires barely any writing-ability and no creative-talent. It's more of a science than an art, so coursework (in year 13) is a science investigation. Hopefully lots of people will back me up when I say you really should take an essay based subject IMO.

-
    Alexandra- your choices are perfect, and well done on the A grades!

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks Saffie, i was soo worried.. im afraid of the competition and all this LNAT business and interviews..! It makes me feel better that at least i got the grades.. Oh well, we'll see soon enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Noooooooooooo, *ahem* Critical thinking is about as respected as General Studies! It's a subject that a lot of people don't study, then do the exam for and get A's! You're far better off having Eng lit or History. If the decision really is: "Critical Thinking or Sociology" I'd have to say sociology.
    I know of very few people who got As for critical thyinking without studying! This year very few As were given out becuase the exam was so bloody difficult. Apparantly the A2 exam, which will be new in 2006, will be easier than the 2005 AS.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.