The Student Room Group

Are Trolls ever justified and do they serve any use?

Are Trolls ever justified and do they serve any use?

Does being deliberately inflammatory serve as a a useful tool in order to stimulate debate? e.g. if I said Mr Horrific Dictator had some good ideas. Would that mean that other people might stop and think about these ideas before they posted a response explaining why they didn't like them.

In other words are trolls a kind of devil's advocate?

If you aren't sure what a troll is the following should help from Wikipedia:

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] In addition to the offending poster, the noun “troll” can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in that was an excellent troll you posted. While the term troll and its associated action, trolling, are primarily associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels highly subjective, with 'trolling' being used to describe many intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context."

Scroll to see replies

Rarley. Most of the time their just being racist, and feel the need to let the world know.
Reply 2
No, because they deliberately bring a topic in such a way as to deliberately cause as many arguments and as much anger as possible. If someone wants to bring up the point that "Mr Horrific Dictator had some good ideas", they can do this in a sensible way without trolling.
Reply 3
Someone needs to hide under bridges and scare children
Reply 4
ScoCmac
Someone needs to hide under bridges and scare children

You beat me to it >.>
Reply 5
Yes. The best trolls are the most clever and the funniest posters.
Reply 6
I love trolling tsr, there is so many muslims on here and everyone knows muslims are the easiest people to wind up ever. As long as all the muslims get up in arms over absolutely anything that some how offends them its going to keep happening.
Reply 7
goodmen
I love trolling tsr, there is so many muslims on here and
everyone knows muslims are the easiest people to wind up ever. As long as all the muslims get up in arms over absolutely anything that some how offends them its going to keep happening.

This lol although I have stopped trolling now. It was fun while it lasted though :cool: .
Reply 8
maybesBABY
This lol although I have stopped trolling now. It was fun while it lasted though :cool: .

did they threaten you with a permaban?
Reply 9
Ham22
did they threaten you with a permaban?

Nope, but I got the most ridiculous negs ever. Plus I stopped caring what Muslim militants had to say. Life is too short to try and reason with such people. :smile:

Why did you get one?
i had those troll dolls when i was little.
Some do provide humour :wink:
According to that definition, Frankie Boyle, Chris Morris etc are all trolls. If that is the case, then I see no problem with it.
yeah i think so because it gets people talking, thinking and evaluating their views on important or controversial issues.

and sometimes you need someone whose opinion is so different to the norm to get the ball rolling.

you must admit it makes some interesting convos

they still piss me off most of the time :L
Reply 14
blibblewibble
i had those troll dolls when i was little.

They were so f*****g ugly! Its a wonder kids din't have nightmares!

Reply 15
my last chat with one went like this, always very thought through:

-girls should not be scantilly clad because then they look sexy.

-and if they look sexy it means they want to have sex,

-and if they were married their man would insist that they not be scantily clad.

-therefore the only scantily clad women must be the single ones that want to hsve sex.

-because the lord allah has stated that sex is only legal and blessed within marriage women are not alowed to be scantilly clad.
Reply 16
Trolls make my day. They are the funniest posters.
Reply 17
Is crack harmless?
Sometimes they are funny, because of all the needless anger they provoke.But most times they should just piss off
Tithonius
They were so f*****g ugly! Its a wonder kids din't have nightmares!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.They're so f******* cute. I rememeber making a bun on mine when I was really little.

Quick Reply

Latest