2008 US election Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tonight Matthew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Time for a bit of speculation filled fun. Who are the Democrat and Republican presidential candidates going to be for the 2008 election? And if you're feeling bold, predict the entire ticket for both.

Go.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
dunno...

but the republicans will win it i think
Tonight Matthew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I predict (with no real reasoning whatsoever..)

Democrats: John Edwards (P) and Evan Bayh (VP)
Republicans: Rudy Giuliani (P) and George Pataki (VP)
Bismarck
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I expect it will be two governors most of us never heard of before. A higher than average chance that the Democratic governor will be Richardon of New Mexico. The last Senator to become President was JFK by the way.
psychic_satori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
I predict (with no real reasoning whatsoever..)

Democrats: John Edwards (P) and Evan Bayh (VP)
Republicans: Rudy Giuliani (P) and George Pataki (VP)
Well, I think choosing two New York guys on one ticket would be a huge blunder. The rule is that one should be able to speak to the South, and one should be able to speak English.
mumphalee
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
republican candidates: sen. john mccain (az) (hooray!), condoleezza rice, rudy giuliani

democrat candidates: hillary clinton and ... umm ... maybe john edwards again?
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes probably Mccain/Pataki ticket for the republicans, maybe Hilary/Obama for the dems? I highly doubt Edwards would get the nomination considering how little he helped Kerry (who apparently hasn't ruled out another run himself ) Not so sure about Giuliani. Joe Bidden is going for the nomination for the dems, can't rule him out either i spose
Lord Waddell
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I suspect that the Democrats will choose some sort of Southerner as Presidential candidate, who is at least reasonably socially conservative. I haven't got a clue about the Republicans. But I think that the Democrats could win the next elections.
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think the Democrats will win it with Hillary Clinton.
not1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by englishstudent)
I think the Democrats will win it with Hillary Clinton.
lol, you have no idea do you.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by edders)
i was thinking that

shes not that popular
Agent Smith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Katrina seems to have knocked Bush's popularity - I must say I personally think his response has been far too little too late - and it will be ironic if that kicks the Republicans out of the White House after the war failed to. However, I don't know whether that will actually happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had 8 years of Condi. I'd rather the Democrats had a shot at undoing what in my opinion is considerable damage done during Bush's presidency, but that seems unlikely.
Bastiat
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smith)
I wouldn't be surprised if we had 8 years of Condi.
I would - even if the Republicans are looking to diversify their leadership away from the traditional white male, choosing Rice, an African-American women, would rupture the Southern support on which Bush has relied to win his second term. The ingrained prejudices of the South cannot be won over, at least, not yet.

I'd rather the Democrats had a shot at undoing what in my opinion is considerable damage done during Bush's presidency, but that seems unlikely.
The Democrats are like the British Conservatives since Thatcher - poor at choosing leaders. After Truman/Roosevelt's domination of 20 years, like the Heath/Thatcher control ... Stevenson - trashed by Eisenhower in '52 and '56, Kennedy - controversial - narrowly beat Nixon, Johnson - Vietnam, Humphrey ('68) and McGovern ('72) - both lost in a landslide to Nixon, Carter - dead duck, economically and internationally, then lost to Reagan in '80, as did Mondale ('84) and Dukakis ('88), the latter of which to GHW Bush. Admittedly, Clinton was popular, like Kennedy, but controversial, and riddled with skeletons in the cupboard, as was Gore, and Kerry, whose military history and political opinions were called into question.

Time for populist, centrist leaders - Springer / Winfrey 2008.
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
Yes probably Mccain/Pataki ticket for the republicans, maybe Hilary/Obama for the dems? I highly doubt Edwards would get the nomination considering how little he helped Kerry (who apparently hasn't ruled out another run himself ) Not so sure about Giuliani. Joe Bidden is going for the nomination for the dems, can't rule him out either i spose
Joe Biden wants it, but he's unable to subvert is natural tendency to believe that he's smarter and better than everyone else. Let's not forget his 1988 moment on CSPAN where he told a voter "I think I have a much higher IQ than you do." Oh, that'll win over the swing votes... :rolleyes:
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by edders)
Why's that then edders you fountain of all knowledge?

This is from the BBC website about the potential candidates for 2008:

Senator Clinton leads a field of likely Democrats, beating both former challenger John Kerry and his running mate John Edwards, according to the Marist Poll.

She beats Mr Kerry by 39% to his 21%. A range of Democrats including Senator Joseph Biden, New Mexico Governor Bill Richards and Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack are in a crowded pack of potential candidates with single digit support.
But of course if you say it's not happening it's not happening. You're just too clever to disagree with.

If she stands (which according to this poll and lots of speculation in the USA she may well do) I could well see her winning. Her husband was hugely popular, Bush's approval ratings have sunk to an all-time low after Katrina and the festering war in Iraq will only help further the Democrat cause.
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if we had 8 years of Condi. I'd rather the Democrats had a shot at undoing what in my opinion is considerable damage done during Bush's presidency, but that seems unlikely.
She has stated over and over again that she is not going to run.
daniel_williams
Report 13 years ago
arnold schwarzenegger for president.... now can you imagine how ammusing that would be!! but as long as its not george bush its all ok! if arnold schwarzenegger became president then it would be like a scene out of te terminator. he really would be the most powerful man in the word with all those nuclear weapon
Sorani
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Does the majority of the USA really want a woman in charge? And if so I'd imagine there might be some vote-tampering from some high-powered chauvinists. The same would go for a black or minority candidate I imagine.
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Sorani)
Does the majority of the USA really want a woman in charge? And if so I'd imagine there might be some vote-tampering from some high-powered chauvinists. The same would go for a black or minority candidate I imagine.
Vote tampering is not as easy as the Bush family make it seem. As for most Americans voting for a woman, perhaps not. I don't see why that should be the case though - after all, they'll have put up with a buffoon for the best part of a decade. :rolleyes:
Bastiat
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by daniel_williams)
arnold schwarzenegger for president.... now can you imagine how ammusing that would be!! but as long as its not george bush its all ok! if arnold schwarzenegger became president then it would be like a scene out of te terminator. he really would be the most powerful man in the word with all those nuclear weapon
Sorry to ruin your dream, but he can't - Article II of the US Constitution states
No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.
Schwarzenegger is Austrian born, so he's ineligible.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (153)
27.42%
No (405)
72.58%

Watched Threads