Imperial Intercalation [Split thread] Watch

This discussion is closed.
medicinalherbs
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi

Im intercalating too - I havent heard from them yet - when ive rang them up they have said "yes im guaranteed a place in acommodation" and asked them to check for sure cos I was told I wasn't guaranteed, then they have said "sorry no you're right you are not guaranteed accom" - theyre soo confusing!!

(Original post by Miles)
May even stay for clinical depending on how I find it

In my offer letter it said that you can not transfer - did you not get this oin your letter too *confused and paranoid* :eek:

Jessica
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by medicinalherbs)
Hi

Im intercalating too - I havent heard from them yet - when ive rang them up they have said "yes im guaranteed a place in acommodation" and asked them to check for sure cos I was told I wasn't guaranteed, then they have said "sorry no you're right you are not guaranteed accom" - theyre soo confusing!!

In my offer letter it said that you can not transfer - did you not get this oin your letter too *confused and paranoid* :eek:

Jessica
Hi!

I think I've seen you on here before :confused: I rang them today and they said I've definitely got an Imperial hall (but not to tell anyone ). I know it says we can't transfer but 4 did it last year (one of which from my uni) and I was only considering it, think I like Bristol too much =D

Are you intercalating in management?

And what preferences did you put down for halls? (If I've got into an Imp and not intercollegiate hall you should be fine as well hopefully)
medicinalherbs
Hi

Yes I think we did talk!!

Thats right im doing management - thats cool that they told you that you have a hall! I suppose I will be patient - might ring them on monday just casually though hehehe - dont worry wont mention you though!!

I honestly cant remember what I put exactly for the preferences, i *think* it was Self catered single room at Imperial, then halls at imperial, then intercollegiate. Not holding my breath though! Can you remember how much the cheapest single rooms were roughly? I take it they werent below £100!

Im interested in transferring too - will have to see how it goes though - I dont think I can afford 3 years in london - extra loan or not!!

Jessica
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hi

Yes I think we did talk!!

Thats right im doing management - thats cool that they told you that you have a hall! I suppose I will be patient - might ring them on monday just casually though hehehe - dont worry wont mention you though!!

I honestly cant remember what I put exactly for the preferences, i *think* it was Self catered single room at Imperial, then halls at imperial, then intercollegiate. Not holding my breath though! Can you remember how much the cheapest single rooms were roughly? I take it they werent below £100!

Im interested in transferring too - will have to see how it goes though - I dont think I can afford 3 years in london - extra loan or not!!

Jessica
I think the woman was just sick of me (well it is worrying not knowing where you're gonna live in under a months time lol) so gave in. And no, don't mention anything =o they'll track me down and send me to UCL

I put a single down as well, but will probably end up sharing as we've got next to zero priority. And yes, the cheapest singles were >£100 as far as i know. Which med school are you from?

And it would be weird transferring, would have to go back to Year 3 - have only done 2 years pre-clinical.
medicinalherbs
oooh by the way

a) do you know when the letters will be sent out about accom?

b) are you going to the induction day on the 23rd sept? I cant wait!! Its a packed day though isnt it!!! If youre going I take its for all intercalated courses not just management - but is it just external people or all intercalaters??

Thanks

Jess
medicinalherbs
Im from Edinburgh!

Haha I applied to UCL for a course there too - gladly rejected them - they were soooo snobby to me!!

Yeah I agreee on our priority thing!! Hahah will probably end up in a box in the corridor of Beit Hall - suppose its better than nothing though.

Yeah its weird how they intercalate in yr 4 - would be moving between year groups TWICE then! Once when you first arrive, and second when youre bolted to year 5!!

(Original post by Miles)
I think the woman was just sick of me (well it is worrying not knowing where you're gonna live in under a months time lol) so gave in. And no, don't mention anything =o they'll track me down and send me to UCL

I put a single down as well, but will probably end up sharing as we've got next to zero priority. And yes, the cheapest singles were >£100 as far as i know. Which med school are you from?

And it would be weird transferring, would have to go back to Year 3 - have only done 2 years pre-clinical.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oooh by the way

a) do you know when the letters will be sent out about accom?
My letter was already in the post before I rang today so hopefully you should hear either tomorrow or early next week.

b) are you going to the induction day on the 23rd sept? I cant wait!! Its a packed day though isnt it!!! If youre going I take its for all intercalated courses not just management - but is it just external people or all intercalaters??
I'm not sure, I'm meant to be on holiday over that day but might come back a day early. I wondered that myself (about whether it was just external), I presume it's a mix, but we do have a separate session to get our ID cards/e-mail addresses etc. Who knows?!
medicinalherbs
(Original post by Miles)
My letter was already in the post before I rang today so hopefully you should hear either tomorrow or early next week.
Cheers - I will keep my eyes open for it!

I'm not sure, I'm meant to be on holiday over that day but might come back a day early. I wondered that myself (about whether it was just external), I presume it's a mix, but we do have a separate session to get our ID cards/e-mail addresses etc. Who knows?!
Ah i see. I spoke to Jenny Rattray and she said that the registration is done in groups so maybe that means by different courses or we could be grouped alphabetically.

You should come - it seems quite important

But then you are on holiday - tough decision!
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Im from Edinburgh!

Haha I applied to UCL for a course there too - gladly rejected them - they were soooo snobby to me!!

Yeah I agreee on our priority thing!! Hahah will probably end up in a box in the corridor of Beit Hall - suppose its better than nothing though.

Yeah its weird how they intercalate in yr 4 - would be moving between year groups TWICE then! Once when you first arrive, and second when youre bolted to year 5!!
I just applied on a whim, also applied for a bristol intercalation course so it was a bit last minute when they sent an offer =o

Beit Hall's right opposite the campus and in the same quad as the union so I wouldn't complain :p: It's competitive though so will probably be reserved for 1st years.

And yeah, that's what I was thinking about, would be nice to at least have some stability (although I wouldn't say no to working at the Chelsea & Westminster hospital later in life ).
medicinalherbs
(Original post by Miles)
I just applied on a whim, also applied for a bristol intercalation course so it was a bit last minute when they sent an offer =o

Beit Hall's right opposite the campus and in the same quad as the union so I wouldn't complain :p: It's competitive though so will probably be reserved for 1st years.

And yeah, that's what I was thinking about, would be nice to at least have some stability (although I wouldn't say no to working at the Chelsea & Westminster hospital later in life ).
Yeah Imperial sent their offers out so late didnt they?? I got the UCL and King's ones waaaaaay before Imperial - was ready to accept UCL/Kings out of desperation when I was saved by IC!

Yeah working at the london hospitals would be amazing, but the whole foundation thing is anonomized now so its not as likely they can discriminate against non-london applicants for F1/F2 - especially cos we have done some of our medical training in London (BSc) - they will preusme automatically we did the rest of the training in london....
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Cheers - I will keep my eyes open for it!

Ah i see. I spoke to Jenny Rattray and she said that the registration is done in groups so maybe that means by different courses or we could be grouped alphabetically.

You should come - it seems quite important

But then you are on holiday - tough decision!
Jenny Rattray's a god send. I've had about 30 e-mails from her over the last 8 months! I'll probably get to the induction; don't want to turn up for my first day not having a clue what to do. Am determined to get some work placements while I'm there though (may as well make the most of it, can't lie in bed on monday mornings and miss whole days with hangovers like freshers can) - have contacted someone about the UROP scheme (research opportunities/internships) and the hospital for volunteer work, as well as a first aid organisation so I can finish some ambulance aid qualifications (should be lots of stalls for various socs in Fresh).
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah Imperial sent their offers out so late didnt they?? I got the UCL and King's ones waaaaaay before Imperial - was ready to accept UCL/Kings out of desperation when I was saved by IC!

Yeah working at the london hospitals would be amazing, but the whole foundation thing is anonomized now so its not as likely they can discriminate against non-london applicants for F1/F2 - especially cos we have done some of our medical training in London (BSc) - they will preusme automatically we did the rest of the training in london....
I know someone that was rejected for management and they got their letter quite early, I was kept waiting for ages as well though.

And I know next to nothing about the F1/F2 schemes, every time the clinical dean gave a lecture we all thought there wasn't much point as we were only 2nd years. As soon as I get the doctor prefix they can use and abuse me as necessary lol.
medicinalherbs
Seriously you are soooo right!! Jenny is a GOD! She is soo helpful - and ive spoke to her on the phone a bit and shes sooo nice - not met her in person though - when I went down to hand my application in she was off sick so I didnt get to meet her *weep*...

Yeah I have arranged a job at Kings College as a part-time researcher, ive had reseach projects this summer (got a Wellcome Scholarship) and last summer so theyre gonna give me clinical projects to do this year - its a bit of a trek from S. Kensington to Kings - arrrgh! Trying to sort out criminal records clearance again and it reminded me of starting med school again!

Yeah the UROP thing looks good - go for it :tsr: I will look into it too for next summer - we dont have much of a break next year though do we?!! Wouldnt mind getting an overseas placement though - Imperial has ace links with ETH Zurich (Einstein studied there hehehe) - the IDEA league its called I think......

(Original post by Miles)
Jenny Rattray's a god send. I've had about 30 e-mails from her over the last 8 months! I'll probably get to the induction; don't want to turn up for my first day not having a clue what to do. Am determined to get some work placements while I'm there though (may as well make the most of it, can't lie in bed on monday mornings and miss whole days with hangovers like freshers can) - have contacted someone about the UROP scheme (research opportunities/internships) and the hospital for volunteer work, as well as a first aid organisation so I can finish some ambulance aid qualifications (should be lots of stalls for various socs in Fresh).
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I will split this thread eventually by the way, before some bored person complains
medicinalherbs
Lol @ use and abuse!! Hope theyre careful with you!

Are u being serious that u know someone who was rejected for management?! Im not being funny but I thought hardly anyone would apply for it - I thought the only reason I got into Imperial is because im doing the management course!! (Not exactly Molecular Basis Of Disease......) so many people I have told that I am doing Management have sneered at me - its not faiiir!! Its mainly other medics who do this - my non medic friends arent so hostile lol!!

Was that person someone at Bristol? Do you know anyone else who applied/ got accepted to management? Or any other course at IC for that matter!! I dont know anyone - not many people intercalate here at Edin...

(Original post by Miles)
I know someone that was rejected for management and they got their letter quite early, I was kept waiting for ages as well though.

And I know next to nothing about the F1/F2 schemes, every time the clinical dean gave a lecture we all thought there wasn't much point as we were only 2nd years. As soon as I get the doctor prefix they can use and abuse me as necessary lol.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Seriously you are soooo right!! Jenny is a GOD! She is soo helpful - and ive spoke to her on the phone a bit and shes sooo nice - not met her in person though - when I went down to hand my application in she was off sick so I didnt get to meet her *weep*...

Yeah I have arranged a job at Kings College as a part-time researcher, ive had reseach projects this summer (got a Wellcome Scholarship) and last summer so theyre gonna give me clinical projects to do this year - its a bit of a trek from S. Kensington to Kings - arrrgh! Trying to sort out criminal records clearance again and it reminded me of starting med school again!

Yeah the UROP thing looks good - go for it :tsr: I will look into it too for next summer - we dont have much of a break next year though do we?!! Wouldnt mind getting an overseas placement though - Imperial has ace links with ETH Zurich (Einstein studied there hehehe) - the IDEA league its called I think......
That sounds cool, you like to keep busy too =d (and I was positive being nice to Jenny got me a place )

No we don't get decent breaks. Imperial likes to work people hard *apparently* (while subliminally converting them to Linux operating systems). Are you doing a BSc project or taught modules from other subjects?
medicinalherbs
Sorry for spamming this thread by the way!!

Yeah it seems we are going to be worked to the bone - the summer break after the BSc is small too - my clinicals start at end of august - and because IC starts so late the year runs until end of june - so only got 2 months off - which I suppose is not that bad - but Ive just had 4 months off this summer!

I think management people have to do a BSc Project, unlike you guys we dont get a choice

(Original post by Miles)
That sounds cool, you like to keep busy too =d (and I was positive being nice to Jenny got me a place )

No we don't get decent breaks. Imperial likes to work people hard *apparently* (while subliminally converting them to Linux operating systems). Are you doing a BSc project or taught modules from other subjects?
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lol @ use and abuse!! Hope theyre careful with you!

Are u being serious that u know someone who was rejected for management?! Im not being funny but I thought hardly anyone would apply for it - I thought the only reason I got into Imperial is because im doing the management course!! (Not exactly Molecular Basis Of Disease......) so many people I have told that I am doing Management have sneered at me - its not faiiir!! Its mainly other medics who do this - my non medic friends arent so hostile lol!!

Was that person someone at Bristol? Do you know anyone else who applied/ got accepted to management? Or any other course at IC for that matter!! I dont know anyone - not many people intercalate here at Edin...
The vast majority of external intercalators apply for management because they are usually able to study the science based courses at their own med school. I remember Jenny said last year 39 applications where received (mostly management as first choice) and 10 students are now attending.

And it's at Imperial, sneer back at them :p: (I was tempted myself but prefer science in general). Yes this person was at Bristol (come to think of it she never told me she was rejected, I just assumed as she didn't talk about it again and she wasn't on the intercalation list =s). I don't know anyone that's been accepted, but know 5 people at imperial currently in different years.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sorry for spamming this thread by the way!!

Yeah it seems we are going to be worked to the bone - the summer break after the BSc is small too - my clinicals start at end of august - and because IC starts so late the year runs until end of june - so only got 2 months off - which I suppose is not that bad - but Ive just had 4 months off this summer!

I think management people have to do a BSc Project, unlike you guys we dont get a choice
I've no idea how hard this course is gonna be *wonders how many firsts are given out*

2 months isn't bad! we finish at the end of june as well, shall be a hell of a lot better than a couple of years down the line :eek:

We get to graduate at the albert hall lol!
medicinalherbs
The vast majority of external intercalators apply for management because they are usually able to study the science based courses at their own med school. I remember Jenny said last year 39 applications where received (mostly management as first choice) and 10 students are now attending.
Wow - thats reassuring to know - really did not expect that at all! I was unsure of the management course too but decided what the hell - it will either make me or break me - im a risk taker by nature!

(Original post by Miles)
I've no idea how hard this course is gonna be *wonders how many firsts are given out*

2 months isn't bad! we finish at the end of june as well, shall be a hell of a lot better than a couple of years down the line :eek:

We get to graduate at the albert hall lol!
OMG!! I forgot about the ALbert Hall graduation! Think that was the main reason I applied initially........lol! That is seriously cool - my 'rents will be well impressed!! Imperial must have the best location of any uni in the country!

I figure most intercalaters will get 1sts *EDIT = or* 2:1's, U seem v v vclever, sure ull get a first!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (74)
27.61%
No (194)
72.39%

Watched Threads