This discussion is closed.
Chima
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi, i already know that the minimum age for driving is 17. But i've been hearing rumours that the government plans to raise the age to 21. but im not sure what's happening...does that mean thet you will have to be 21 in order to drive on a full licence or will you have to be 21 in order to get a provisional licence in the firsst place? and does anyone know when this will happen? i've tried findint out on websites but with no luck!
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chima)
Hi, i already know that the minimum age for driving is 17. But i've been hearing rumours that the government plans to raise the age to 21. but im not sure what's happening...does that mean thet you will have to be 21 in order to drive on a full licence or will you have to be 21 in order to get a provisional licence in the firsst place? and does anyone know when this will happen? i've tried findint out on websites but with no luck!

That rumour's been going around for years so I doubt it's true this time!
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
That rumour's been going around for years so I doubt it's true this time!
Yeah the rumour goes around every year.
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it would be a lil impractical for them to raise it to 21, because of all the other drivers out there and they are phasing out the 17 prov licence.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
it would be a lil impractical for them to raise it to 21, because of all the other drivers out there and they are phasing out the 17 prov licence.
damn it would be funny though. Congratulations kid, you just got your license. Now tomorrow please hand it back because the Govt. is raising the age by 4 years. hehe
Chima
Rep:
?
(Original post by JSM)
Any idea when?
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There was a proposal a few years back saying that the minimum age should be raised a year at a time over the next 10 years until it is at 21 (or something similar to that). Im not sure what's happening about this now.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chima)
Any idea when?
its before i am 17 so before 2003 March, at least that was what i was told by some of the girls i know. I am not sure, i think if you apply soon they wont care. Use google
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was rather hoping they'd lower it, I love the way everybody drives at 15 in California.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I was rather hoping they'd lower it, I love the way everybody drives at 15 in California.
but it varies between states and the drinking limit tends to be higher in the good ole USA
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think Id sell my car if 15 year olds were allowed to drive :eek: It'd be like escaping death everytime you made a successful journey somewhere. lol
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
but it varies between states and the drinking limit tends to be higher in the good ole USA
Don't worry. American beers are considerably weak by comparison, and going from TV shows, very few drink spirits/cocktails. Could be wrong.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
Indeed, also lots more curfew concepts.

I can so why they don't lower it, driving in the UK is probably quite a bit harder than driving in most places in the US.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chris_)
I think Id sell my car if 15 year olds were allowed to drive :eek: It'd be like escaping death everytime you made a successful journey somewhere. lol
A friend of mine, their family had 9 cars, he crashed 2, now they have 7. Yet they still let him drive. Most unsettling.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if they raised the minimum age for driving, then they wouldn't be able to take away licences from all the those underaged peeps with them. so therefore, go ahead and raise the limit.
Chima
Rep:
?
lol true
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I can so why they don't lower it, driving in the UK is probably quite a bit harder than driving in most places in the US.
The main reason they wouldnt lower it is because there is already far too much congestion and polution in this country. This is the reason they are planning to raise it I think.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

its because we are able to walk to the shops as well
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The main reason they wouldnt lower it is because there is already far too much congestion and polution in this country. This is the reason they are planning to raise it I think.
Not the most obvious method, I guess.

I suppose we can walk to the shops and don't really need a car, I wish we did though, England can be so claustrophobic.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Theyr'e not doing anything to the age limit for driving anytime soon.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (219)
68.22%
No (102)
31.78%

Watched Threads