Turn on thread page Beta

a phobia of maths watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * gemchicken *)
    I have a phobia of stats :afraid:
    i love the stats.

ReputationRep:
    i hate maths! I dont want to retake it! i cant handle another year of maths! Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    i love the stats.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

I hate stats :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I have a phobia of people who have a phobia of Maths.
    :ditto:

It's quite sad how many people think it's 'fashionable' to hate Maths even though they wouldn't dream of saying that they can't read or write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)

It's quite sad how many people think it's 'fashionable' to hate Maths even though they wouldn't dream of saying that they can't read or write.
    ^o)

Sorry if I don't want to work out the reciprocol of x * y over pointless algebraic purposely confusing stigmatised with aimlessness by the square root of idiot.

ReputationRep:

how is is fashionable to say you hate maths? People say they hate maths because they obviously dont like it. It doesnt make it fashionable

ReputationRep:

I'm better at maths than English......but once you get into really advanced maths (multivariable calculus) it becomes a chore!!!!! EEEK

Then again, speakings properlys Englishses a chores to.

Maths is more interesting at the lower levels than other subjects though..........

ReputationRep:
    Ahem.

We have calculators to do maths.

We don't have machines to write literature and essays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~cherrykisses~)
    how is is fashionable to say you hate maths? People say they hate maths because they obviously dont like it. It doesnt make it fashionable
    It's fashionable in Western society to say you "hate maths." Mathematics is usually associated with supreme dorkiness, hunchbacked engineering dorks wearing yellow suspenders, and the inability to enunciate; let us not forget the high-pitched voices as well. We need to change society's view on mathematics and make it "cool" because hey let's face it, mathematics rules the world, along with the hard sciences.

And this is coming from an econ/liberal arts major.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    It's fashionable in Western society to say you "hate maths." Mathematics is usually associated with supreme dorkiness, hunchbacked engineering dorks wearing yellow suspenders, and the inability to enunciate; let us not forget the high-pitched voices as well. We need to change society's view on mathematics and make it "cool" because hey let's face it, mathematics rules the world, along with the hard sciences.

And this is coming from an econ/liberal arts major.....
    No.

I hate the subject of Maths because examiners make it more complicated than it needs be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    No.

I hate the subject of Maths because examiners make it more complicated than it needs be.
    Well if they made it easy, everyone would do well.

I mean isn't it somewhat satisfactory to solve a "tricky" question..don't you feel some kind of satiation?

Or is it simply frustration and hair between your fingers type thing eh....

But it's true that in America at least, maths and sciences aren't heavily emphasized, unlike say in the Eastern world.

ReputationRep:
    Well if they made it easy, everyone would do well.

I mean isn't it somewhat satisfactory to solve a "tricky" question..don't you feel some kind of satiation?

Or is it simply frustration and hair between your fingers type thing eh....

But it's true that in America at least, maths and sciences aren't heavily emphasized, unlike say in the Eastern world.
    I find Sciences very easy, so it can't be that I can't do it.

And I get much more satisfaction from finishing an excellent essay than I do for working out how much profit some saddo has made from selling x number of tickets to the school play :rolleyes:

Besides things like Science, History, English are all very interesting

Maths is just numbers, nothing appealing.

ReputationRep:
    I find Sciences very easy, so it can't be that I can't do it.

And I get much more satisfaction from finishing an excellent essay than I do for working out how much profit some saddo has made from selling x number of tickets to the school play :rolleyes:

Besides things like Science, History, English are all very interesting

Maths is just numbers, nothing appealing.
    It's a shame those numbers allowed civil engineers to hold the building you're in up.

It's okay though. We can always resort to building straw houses again. Boo-yeah.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame those numbers allowed civil engineers to hold the building you're in up.

It's okay though. We can always resort to building straw houses again. Boo-yeah.
    I didn't say it's useless, I said its boring, tedious and repetitive.

ReputationRep:
    No.

talk about un-necessarily complex! what do i care about the allierative couplets in the imabic stanza of blah. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    talk about un-necessarily complex! what do i care about the allierative couplets in the imabic stanza of blah. :rolleyes:
    You're looking at the wrong side of English :p:

ReputationRep:
    You're looking at the wrong side of English :p:
    and you, of maths :p:

ReputationRep:
    and you, of maths :p:
    Tell me what's interesting about Maths.

ReputationRep:
    She was clearly crazy.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE maths is incredibly boring, but you must master it to advance, which is where it truely becomes fascinating(no really!).
    Applied mathematics should to taught more as school. Im not really a fan of Pure/methods, but I love mechanics, and its link with physics.

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.