Turn on thread page Beta

Tonsillitis AGAIN...grrr! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Girl Red)
    hey - i get tonsilitis a lot and sometimes quite severely. my gp asked me if i wanted my tonsils out and i said no - one of my friends had it done and he said it was really really painful and im such a wimp that i chickened out. i mean, i get it quite often (every couple of months) and whilst it is a pain i can cope with it. i mean, i can eat soup and ice cream and yoghurt and sleep a lot and take penicillin to make it go away. i would rather do that i think that have them taken out.
    I get it about every 3 weeks and Im past caring how much it hurts.....i want them out lol! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rach:))
    Aaw :hugs: poor you, I know how you feel.
    The lumps on your tonsils are perfectly normal for tonsilltis.
    You just need to see your doctor and get some penicillin as soon as possible!Other than that...drink lots of liquids and take paracetamol and ibuprofen (you can take them together) for the pain and if you start feeling physically ill as well. Lots of rest also helps. Last time I had it the doctor told me to gargle wih salt water to relieve the pain....might help, but I've never tried it.
    Really hope you feel better soonxx
    thankyou for your reply cheered me up :>to know i am not an odd bod with lumps on my tonsils lol thankyou ill deffinatly try gargaling salt water i hope yourself and others dont get them any more xx hayley x

ReputationRep:
    i got mine taken out when i was 14, i had it done at a private hospital on the NHS (NHS didnt have enough room so they paid for it at a private place), i had tonsilitus like 14 times in a year or something and my tonsils were pretty much up all of the time, my tonsils only really hurt for like 3-4 days after the operation, they didnt hurt immediately as i was in morphein, the tablets they gave me afterwards seemed to clear up the pain a treat in the end, and i havent had tonsilitus since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameso88)
    i got mine taken out when i was 14, i had it done at a private hospital on the NHS (NHS didnt have enough room so they paid for it at a private place), i had tonsilitus like 14 times in a year or something and my tonsils were pretty much up all of the time, my tonsils only really hurt for like 3-4 days after the operation, they didnt hurt immediately as i was in morphein, the tablets they gave me afterwards seemed to clear up the pain a treat in the end, and i havent had tonsilitus since.
    Woo!There is hope then! lol glad you dont get it any more

ReputationRep:
    i have had it just the once and it was really bad... i dont know how people can go through it all the time .... killed me .... i was up in a&e n it wasnt pretty....they were near for making me stay in over nite........hospitals.... :eek: i cringe at the thought of it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I get tonsillitis all the time too, and sometimes it hurts a lot, sometimes it constricts my swallowing, but the worst problem is that I get foul breath from it it's not good, cos I clean my teeth and use mouthwash religiously and it doesn't make a ha'peth of difference.

I'm used to surgery (had three spine ops)... does everyone think it's a good option then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverjonny)
    Hmm... I get tonsillitis all the time too, and sometimes it hurts a lot, sometimes it constricts my swallowing, but the worst problem is that I get foul breath from it it's not good, cos I clean my teeth and use mouthwash religiously and it doesn't make a ha'peth of difference.

I'm used to surgery (had three spine ops)... does everyone think it's a good option then?
    Well i didnt really want the op, but now its started getting worse every time to the point where i can hardly breathe and cant get out of bed for 10 days....so now i want it!I never want tonsillitis again!

Creative02....that sounds pretty bad!! :eek: Im suprised they didnt want to take your tonsils out when you were in hospital....what did they do, just give you penicillin?

ReputationRep:
    put on a strong antibiotic n had to stay in bed...was out of skool and work for over 2 weeks... they didnt mention ne thing about takin them out....just pills n that to reduce the swellin :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Get them taken out... I had mine done at 16 and it wasn't that bad, just had to stay out of public places for a fortnight. Yes, it hurts, but I was getting recurring quincy, once every 3 months or so, and I haven't had it since. If you weigh up the pain with that of tonsillitis every three weeks, I know which one's worse. It's worth it. Really.

Also, the solid foods thing?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's to stop the dead tissue building up at the back of your mouth and getting infected. It's painful, but you can cope with it.

ReputationRep:
    Yup I have tonsillitus again according to my doctor. It just won't leave me alone :rolleyes: . Went to see the doctor and he's given me the same stuff as usual. I've been told that I have got to have a blood test some time this week too just to make sure it is tonsillitus and not something else like glangala (sp?) feaver . Erk I HATE needles as I said before. I'm so not going to be happy when I have that done, probably on Friday . This is SOO painful and my doctor seems to have forgotten that last time I had tonsillitus he said that if I got it one more time they would be out :mad: . Grr I just want the damn things got rid of all they do is cause me trouble :mad: .

ReputationRep:
    i had mine out when i was 11 or 12....it was fine but it meant i got to eat loads of ice cream cos the doctor told me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doom_and_Gloom)
    Yup I have tonsillitus again according to my doctor. It just won't leave me alone :rolleyes: . Went to see the doctor and he's given me the same stuff as usual. I've been told that I have got to have a blood test some time this week too just to make sure it is tonsillitus and not something else like glangala (sp?) feaver . Erk I HATE needles as I said before. I'm so not going to be happy when I have that done, probably on Friday . This is SOO painful and my doctor seems to have forgotten that last time I had tonsillitus he said that if I got it one more time they would be out :mad: . Grr I just want the damn things got rid of all they do is cause me trouble :mad: .
    Aaw, no :hugs: hope you feel better soon, I know how bad you feel .
    Maybe you could ask your doctor about getting them out?I had to ask mine, and they finally referred me! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    When I was 1 or 2, I used to have tonsilitis and it kept coming back. Icouldn't really speak and stuff. Annoying thing probably for my parents was that at that age, I was too youg for them to operate to remove my tonsils. I had to wait till I was 3 to have them removed.

ReputationRep:
    I have had the snip......no not a sex change but tonsills removed as i am severly allergic to chocolate. Still though, even one slice, i relapse. I dont know why and neither do the medical pros!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.