Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Whats everyone thinking about the poems from different cultures tomorrow?
    And also, anyonee got any useful tips? For writing to describe explain or inform?

Good Luck Guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrunetteChick)
    Whats everyone thinking about writing to argue, persuade, advise, etc tomorrow?
    How's everyone revising for this?
    And also, anyonee got any useful tips or revision notes, for this?

Good Luck Guys
    Me too. Just gonna try an get stuck in with all types of reponses. Good luck too

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea how to revise for english ... and I have french in the afternoon - ahh

ReputationRep:
    Past papers! But cba to revise at the moment as I just got back from maths.

ReputationRep:
    No matter how hard I try, I always manage to do terribly in english exams so I'll just hope that one of the argue, persuade and advise questions is interesting enough for me to write about and then I'll pray for a pass

ReputationRep:
    I may fail. Don't understand english. Hate the subject.

Hoping for a pass and i'll be so chuffed.

ReputationRep:
    is it poetry or comprehension ? (AQA)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessQQmorepewpew)
    is it poetry or comprehension ? (AQA)

comprehension and writing to argue etc

ReputationRep:
    Revision for English is practically impossible, unless it's literature. Therefore, I'm gonna have a lazy night I'm hoping for a global warming question like they usually have; I'm good at arguing about that.

ReputationRep:
    comprehension and writing to argue etc
    ok , how do you know it's argue ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-Pizzayne)
    No matter how hard I try, I always manage to do terribly in english exams so I'll just hope that one of the argue, persuade and advise questions is interesting enough for me to write about and then I'll pray for a pass

samee here and i really need to do good in english cuz its so important :/ :/

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else doing WJEC?
    Because I wanted to ask, for section A, you know how its split into 4 parts; A1 A2 A3 and A4 each worth 10 marks.
    My english teachers rubbish, she says you have to make 10 points to get 10 marks, but other people have said you have to make like 5-7 points and expand on them to get 10 marks. Which do you think is the best bet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessQQmorepewpew)
    ok , how do you know it's argue ?

idon't thats what imeant by etc lol cuz it could be either describe, advise persuade ithink, if I'm wrong anyone can quote me otherwise,

yeah I think it's comprehension then section B like writing to persuade, argue or advise or describe etc

but good luck --but I find the poetry from different cultures more difficult and that's on thursday :/

ReputationRep:
    Me too. My brain gets switched off halfway through. The first question is always answer to the best of my ability and it slowly deteriorates for their.

Anyway. Facts for my Exam board. WJEC.

PAPER ONE = 2 HOURS worth 80 marks

Section A (Reading) Spend 55 mins. 4 questions on narrative text worth 10 marks each. Respond using PEE.

Section B (Writing) - B1 - Descriptive task (25mins)
    B2 Imaginative story choose from a title (40mins)

PAPER TWO = 2 HOURS worth 80 marks

Section A (Reading) - Spend about 50mins. You are given 2 resources (non fiction) on which you answer 4 questions worth 10 marks each. The last question is a comparison between the two.

Section B (Writing) - 2 tasks worth 20 marks each. Spend 35 minutes on each task. May include an article/ speech/ letter/ review/ leaflet.

ReputationRep:
    samee here and i really need to do good in english cuz its so important :/ :/
    Yeah, that's what I'm worried about :/ I've already flopped English lit (I'll hope that my c/w brings it up) and I'm afraid if I don't do well in this either, it wouldn't look very good on my CV...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabriella_bussel)
    Is anyone else doing WJEC?
    Because I wanted to ask, for section A, you know how its split into 4 parts; A1 A2 A3 and A4 each worth 10 marks.
    My english teachers rubbish, she says you have to make 10 points to get 10 marks, but other people have said you have to make like 5-7 points and expand on them to get 10 marks. Which do you think is the best bet?
    I'd say 5-7 point is what I'd aim for as we need to keep to time constraints. 10 points then your guaranteed 10 marks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I'm worried about :/ I've already flopped English lit (I'll hope that my c/w brings it up) and I'm afraid if I don't do well in this either, it wouldn't look very good on my CV...
    I'll post a model exam answer from my booklet.

Kind of persuasive, it may help.

You are writing to an Editor expressing your opinions on having a music festival in your area. Write about if you feel it is a good idea or a bad idea and give persuasive points to support your opinion.

Dear Editor,
    I am writing to you to show my support for Mr Bialy's idea of a local outdoor music festival, a 'showcase of our region's prodigious talent.

As far as I am concerned, any help we can give to the band in our area should be welcomed with open arms. They represent our culture, and bringing a vibrancy to the towns around here that attracts people from from far and wide. Many peoplehave noted how amazingly talented many bands and singers from our area are, and I think that showing this to anyone who cares to see in a music festival would be excellent. Why not be proud of them?

As well as being a good opportunity for bands around here, a festival of this sort could help local buisness a lot. For example, it would be a wounderful way to get people to try the amazing food from the area-what festival is complete without food stalls? It would even showcase our beautiful location - anyone who came would surely agree how stunning it is, which can only improve our tourism on which this region depends.

And for locals? It would be great entertainment, as well as a chance to encourage people to get outdoors a little more. We have been enjoying wonderful weather recently, and such and event would be a brilliant way to spend a summer's day.

Some have raised eyebrows over potential noise as a result of this festival. Firstly, can music be described in any way a 'pollution'? Surely, our usual symphony of roadworks, traffic noise and groups of people who have just exited the pub is far worse? Plus, it would only be a day. Secondly, the festival will hardly be held in the middle of town, so if you don't want to hear it, you simply needn't go.

Also, there has been worry over whether such an event would attract the "wrong sort of people". What a ridiculous idea! Any undesirable persons would more likely be attracted to the vast array of pubs and clubs we have to amuse our bored resident. An outdoor music festival would attract people who love music, not hooligans! It would also be benefit those in the hospitality industry, as most visitors will need a place to stay.

Overall, as far as I can see it, this idea is a great opportunity for our region. We would be able to showcase our amazing local talent, help tourism and trade in our area and have a great day out. I simply can't see the problem - what's not to like?

Finished

I hope this helps. Decided to put it on here so others can look at answer. I to only one mark off full and was awarded and A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseverance)
    Past papers! But cba to revise at the moment as I just got back from maths.

sameee :/

ReputationRep:
    its impossible to revise for english, thats why i like it so much

ReputationRep:
    Can not be arsed to revise properly but anyone got a list of 'fancy words' to use. Superlative, hyperbole etc which can be squeezed in.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 26, 2010

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.