what are we going to do with all these dirty old men? Watch

This discussion is closed.
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/3290657.stm

you may remember this from a few weeks back.

there is obviously a problem with re-introducing convicted abusers back into public life. it is not good for both the public or the convicted abuser.

the problem seems to lie with the conflict between informing the public of peoples past offences for public safety and the safety of the convict. As the article shows can be serious. can the government be justified in releasing a known paedophile into society?
gayboy09
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)

there is obviously a problem with re-introducing convicted abusers back into public life. it is not good for both the public or the convicted abuser.

the problem seems to lie with the conflict between informing the public of peoples past offences for public safety and the safety of the convict. As the article shows can be serious. can the government be justified in releasing a known paedophile into society?
Can the murder of a paedophile be justified? Probably.
TK0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
very very difficult i think

i do think there should be public naming for all serious offenders on release.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)

...neuter them? chop their hands off? isnt the justice system in this ocuntry based on reform, as well as punishment?
MattG
Rep:
?
(Original post by TK0)
very very difficult i think

i do think there should be public naming for all serious offenders on release.
i disagree, possibly tagging and tighter controls on areas they can visit, its been proven that re-introduction into public life helps reforming, naming (and shaming) them doesnt help, and with the media mob rule could rule the streets
x Dee x
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
i disagree, possibly tagging and tighter controls on areas they can visit, its been proven that re-introduction into public life helps reforming, naming (and shaming) them doesnt help, and with the media mob rule could rule the streets
Well researched, I agree x
MattG
Rep:
?
(Original post by El_Borish)
...neuter them? chop their hands off? isnt the justice system in this ocuntry based on reform, as well as punishment?
yeah it is, but its obvious that allowing them into the public with people knowing they are paedophiles doesnt work. its not fair for parents to know that a paedophile lives on their road and its not fair that paedophiles have their name shown and are susceptable to violent abuse because of it
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
this thread remind me of a sketch on moneky dust with a mob goin after a peadophile - point being that by doing all these nasty things, they were getting to be just as bad
TK0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
yeah it is, but its obvious that allowing them into the public with people knowing they are paedophiles doesnt work. its not fair for parents to know that a paedophile lives on their road and its not fair that paedophiles have their name shown and are susceptable to violent abuse because of it
yes i agree its not good for people to be attacked, however there has to be something working the other way too.

that said anyone who says we have many more paedophiles than previously is just plain wrong. If you judged our society by the news how depressing would it be
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
30.77%
No (15)
57.69%
Don't know (3)
11.54%

Watched Threads