Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have decided to take the following AS levels:
    Maths
    Economics
    Chemistry
    French
    (+compulsory Critical Thinking)

I think I'm pretty happy with my decision as I think it compliments quite well my future prospects. I want to work in Finance (maybe an accountant). However I found it pretty hard to make this decision. I wanted to take another science because I am pretty good at the sciences and I wanted to take German because I am good at languages but I've only got 4 choices so I guess these will have to do. What do you think of my final AS choices and do you think I should have taken another science instead of any of my other choices? Oh and any information about Critical Thinking would be appreciated since I don't really know that much about the subject. Moreover which subject do you think is the most appropriate to drop at A2? I know this depends on how I find the subjects as well but with regards to what I want to become in the future?

I'm still quite unsure about what I'm going to study at university. After reading many threads, it seems Economics is advisable since it is a respected subject and is useful for getting into finance. But I've heard that many people with science degrees (e.g. Chemistry) can get good jobs in finance. Is this true?

Any help is appreciated!Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I think they are very appropriate! A fine choice, I must say. I would say drop chem at A2 because having it is becoming increasingly more important to have a language now.

ReputationRep:
    My dad has a degree in economics and he says it's the most boring subject in the world! Also, from reading threads here, economics AS appears to be very easy. (I once made a thread about easiest AS levels and the result was probably economics!)

Having said that, you're taking other difficult subjects so you should be allowed an easy A! You could probably handle teaching yourself economics at home and learning German at school but TBH it's more work than you need to do, so don't do it if you don't want. On the other hand, if you give up German now, is that equating to giving it up for ever? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    My dad has a degree in economics and he says it's the most boring subject in the world! Also, from reading threads here, economics AS appears to be very easy. (I once made a thread about easiest AS levels and the result was probably economics!)

Having said that, you're taking other difficult subjects so you should be allowed an easy A! You could probably handle teaching yourself economics at home and learning German at school but TBH it's more work than you need to do, so don't do it if you don't want. On the other hand, if you give up German now, is that equating to giving it up for ever? :eek:
    thanks guys for your advise so far.
    I really want to continue with German though, don't know how but maybe probably in my free time I'll try to teach myself some more. I took it for GCSE and got an A* (also the same with French). I've got a few awards for Modern Foreign Languages at school so I do like my languages however I was told if I take both French and German I could end up narrowing my opportunities which I do agree with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lykabelle)
    thanks guys for your advise so far.
    I really want to continue with German though, don't know how but maybe probably in my free time I'll try to teach myself some more. I took it for GCSE and got an A* (also the same with French). I've got a few awards for Modern Foreign Languages at school so I do like my languages however I was told if I take both French and German I could end up narrowing my opportunities which I do agree with.
    You could maybe continue an evening course of German at a college? That'd look very good on your personal statement. If you were to take both languages you'd really ought to a) Be sure you're good at them. b) Want to work with them in later life. Unless you're just taking them for interest and know you want to do a degree in maths or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    They're good choices, but I can see your problem in wanting to do German but not wanting to drop anything either. Definitely keep maths, economics and French. If you badly want to do German, drop chemistry since it's the least relevant to what you want to do later on, but if you'd like to do chemistry to keep your options open a bit more, you could always keep up with German in your own time by reading online newspapers, listening to the radio, watching TV/films, getting a penfriend and maybe doing an evening class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    They're good choices, but I can see your problem in wanting to do German but not wanting to drop anything either. Definitely keep maths, economics and French. If you badly want to do German, drop chemistry since it's the least relevant to what you want to do later on, but if you'd like to do chemistry to keep your options open a bit more, you could always keep up with German in your own time by reading online newspapers, listening to the radio, watching TV/films, getting a penfriend and maybe doing an evening class.
    :wtf?: Chemistry is more respected and useful than economics for anything. Probably even for an economics degree! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    :wtf?: Chemistry is more respected and useful than economics for anything. Probably even for an economics degree! :rolleyes:
    How is chemistry more relevant to economics than economics itself? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Good choices. I was in a similar situation, I really couldn't and can't decide what to drop so am doing 4/5 subjects because I enjoy them all a lot and they are all relevant and useful in terms of my future career & university. See how you find the workload then ask us what you should drop next year because it's hard to decide unless you're started your ASs.
    I loved critical thinking AS, didn't really do much for it. It was a really really hard exam but I still enjoyed it and am carrying it on.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your input so far. I'm also a bit confused about Chemistry, although it is a respected subject, I'm unsure how far I'm going to go with it. I chose Chemistry because it's the science that I am the best at according to my yr 10 module results and everything else but I'm quite an all rounder in the sciences.
    I heard the 2005 critical thinking exam for AS I think was difficult and some see it as being a boring subject but I've seen mixed reviews for critical thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your input so far. I'm also a bit confused about Chemistry, although it is a respected subject, I'm unsure how far I'm going to go with it. I chose Chemistry because it's the science that I am the best at according to my yr 10 module results and everything else but I'm quite an all rounder in the sciences.
    I heard the 2005 critical thinking exam for AS I think was difficult and some see it as being a boring subject but I've seen mixed reviews for critical thinking.
    What I've heard about Chemistry, is that at A Level you basically undo the knowledge you obtained at GCSE and it is replaced with more complex ideas but I haven't actually done it, that's just what people have told me it's like. Biology is seen as the science that arts students take, and Physics seems to have a lot of maths
    I really enjoyed critical thinking - it has a lot of moral/ethical issues in it too, so it's quite good as a 5th subject, and is a great skill.

ReputationRep:
    Geez, I said it was probably more respected and useful not 'relevant'! Why? Because Economics AS/A2 is too easy... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Because economics is so easy (multiple choice exam paper, anyone?), that's it's not respected as an a-level - almost as bad as general studies. Chemistry on the other hand is much harder, and so much more impressive to do well in, thus improving your prospects of getting a place. Given the easiness and low level of economics at A-level, it's not actually gonna be much use for the degree.

ReputationRep:
    Geez, I said it was probably more respected and useful not 'relevant'! Why? Because Economics AS/A2 is too easy... :rolleyes:
    Hehehe, it's easy, and yet, one of my most intelligent friends got a D in it... Though I suspect that was more the teachers fault, since he didn't finish the course :rolleyes:

As for Chemistry, a couple of the things get made more complicated, like electron shell structure, it's not just a simple 2,8,8 anymore
    It just takes your GCSE knowledge and, erm, modifies it, a bit.
    Science degrees are, usually, respected - as they value the analytical skills you gain. Among other skills, that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomD22)
    Because economics is so easy (multiple choice exam paper, anyone?), that's it's not respected as an a-level - almost as bad as general studies. Chemistry on the other hand is much harder, and so much more impressive to do well in, thus improving your prospects of getting a place. Given the easiness and low level of economics at A-level, it's not actually gonna be much use for the degree.
    Interesting points guys. I've heard of many people getting good grades in Economics but I've always thought that it is a respected subject.

I have been thinking of doing a degree in Chemistry if I enjoy it at AS and decide to take it to A2 but do you think this is advisable considering I want to get into finance?

It's not easy though, business studies may be seen as easy but economics is harder.

The only people who'd call it easy are all these AAAAAAAAA people you get on this site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    It's not easy though, business studies may be seen as easy but economics is harder.

The only people who'd call it easy are all these AAAAAAAAA people you get on this site.
    So you're saying business studies is seen as easy, and is easier than economics? :confused:

I've heard too many people say economics is easy, I've seen the exam papers, I've seen uni prospectus' which never ask for it. All of which lead me to believe it's not well respected or useful, other than as another A grade.

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying business studies is seen as easy, and is easier than economics? :confused:

I've heard too many people say economics is easy, I've seen the exam papers, I've seen uni prospectus' which never ask for it. All of which lead me to believe it's not well respected or useful, other than as another A grade.
    Well yes because business studies is seen as being more as 'mickey mouse' well according to LSE I should say so I've always viewed Economics as being more respected and harder than Business Studies. I took GCSE Business Studies and got an A* but I thought Economics would be a better subject to take.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes because business studies is seen as being more as 'mickey mouse' well according to LSE I should say so I've always viewed Economics as being more respected and harder than Business Studies. I took GCSE Business Studies and got an A* but I thought Economics would be a better subject to take.
    Hmm, so you looked at business studies and realised it was the lowest of the low, then figured economics is similar but not on one uni's hate list, so must be better, so you'll take it?
    -
    OK, who cares? It's easy, you'll see that I guess when you take it. But you do other well respected subjects, so it should be OK. Just don't moan to me when you find it deathly boring and it's not opening any degree doors for you!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, so you looked at business studies and realised it was the lowest of the low, then figured economics is similar but not on one uni's hate list, so must be better, so you'll take it?
    -
    OK, who cares? It's easy, you'll see that I guess when you take it. But you do other well respected subjects, so it should be OK. Just don't moan to me when you find it deathly boring and it's not opening any degree doors for you!
    Lol no I didn't even know before I came on these boards how business studies was viewed by universities and other people and I've always said I'll take Economics if I had to choose between the two.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.