Does money make you happy Watch

This discussion is closed.
brasil85
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Well it can sometimes, but are people that have money happy, are rich better people than I am. Just having money can't make you happy all the time. I should know I have money I am happy but I know people of have loads of money but hate them selfs.
sazzles
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by brasil85)
Well it can sometimes, but are people that have money happy, are rich people better people than I am. Just having money can't make you happy all the time. I should know I have money I am happy but I know people of have loads of money but hate them selfs.
Scientific research shows that having money doesn't increase the average person's happines. But having more money that most of the people around you does. It's all relative.
Personally, though, I don't think money affects my happiness. Along as I have food, water and shelter, I'm a pretty happy bunny.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It just depends on what sort of person you are, to some people money is the perk of a job, to others it is the sole reason for a job, i personally reckon the saying about 'moneys only a good thing if you have someone to share it with' to be about right, though if anyone wants to send me a twenty pound note through the post feel free
brasil85
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
[what Is money, what does it do for us
caz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well it can sometimes, but are people that have money happy, are rich people better people than I am. Just having money can't make you happy all the time. I should know I have money I am happy but I know people of have loads of money but hate them selfs.
rich people better than people? nobody is better than anybody
caz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
you inject it into your arm, but beware of tracks!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Money dosn't make me happy but having no money at all makes me depressed.
prince_capri
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sazzles)
Scientific research shows that having money doesn't increase the average person's happines. But having more money that most of the people around you does. It's all relative.
Personally, though, I don't think money affects my happiness. Along as I have food, water and shelter, I'm a pretty happy bunny.
if u wuld ask me....it does make a difference......
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i read this on a post card.......can't remember the exact words though! it goes something like this:

when the last fish dies and all the rivers and seas are poisened.........and wen the last tree dies and the the only living things are humans........we will realise we can't eat money
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Research shows that it does make a difference up to a point, but once you have enough to cover all the essential, each extra pound makes less and less difference.

Stephen Fry said, in The Stars' Tennis Balls:
"Money is to happiness as aeroplane is to Australia. While the aeroplane is clearly not Australia, it remains the only logical way we know of getting there."

I interpret this to mean that money is much less important in New Zealand, where they can get the boat.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Research shows that it does make a difference up to a point, but once you have enough to cover all the essential, each extra pound makes less and less difference.

Stephen Fry said, in The Stars' Tennis Balls:
"Money is to happiness as aeroplane is to Australia. While the aeroplane is clearly not Australia, it remains the only logical way we know of getting there."

I interpret this to mean that money is much less important in New Zealand, where they can get the boat.
This kind of relates to Maslow's theory. Once you earn enough of money to pay for basics and a few luxeries what else have you got to movitate you? Believe or not the biggest way to motivate employee's is not to offer them pay rises unless they are in a low paid job.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Give me a load of money and i'll let you know the results.
prince_capri
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Give me a load of money and i'll let you know the results.
well said.......same here !!!
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm happier when I have money. As I'm not exactly the most well off person to walk this earth, I love the times when I'm not trying to live to a strict budget. Though to always have extra money floating around.... don't think I'd be overly happy too long before the novelty wore off and I started spending too much to make myself poor again.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Money, is something I wish to possess, and lots of it!!! In the very near future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! I will achieve this feat!!!!!

:cool:
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
its does to an extent. if you have no money to have basic standards of living then it can make you unhappy for sure. also if you live/know people around you who have more money thats makes a visual difference to their life compared to yours (ie: bigger house, nicer cars more holidays etc) then that could be depressing.

however if you have money that maintains a comfortable standard of living (thats relative, some people may be happy living in a campervan for eg) then its other factors (family,friends, good job) that would prob have an increased effect on your happiness
x Dee x
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I h8 it wen all ur m8s go out (drinking, wateva) and u cant cos ur skint, that makes me unhappy So i guess money does matta sumtyms even if this isnt the best example x
caz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by prince_capri)
well said.......same here !!!
oh what the hell, give me loads of money too!
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
"Whoever said money can't buy happiness obviously hadn't heard of puppies."
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Having money makes you feel less dissatisfied, it makes you 'want' less...and that's being materialistic. Personally money makes me happy, i love 2 shop
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (47)
73.44%
Leave (17)
26.56%

Watched Threads