Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Money causes so many arguments and stuff I would rather be without it. I just want enough money to buy a decent house (but that costs like £200k+) maybe a car but probably won't bother and enough to go around the world for a few weeks every year. I would also like enough to give my kids (if anybody is sad enough to have tem with me) a decent education (that dosn't mean private school as such but enough money for books, university etc).

Money without love and happiness is pointless though.

There is a song called Richard Correy by Simon and Garfunkel its a song about a rich factory worker who owned half of this town, eveerybody wanted to be like him because he was rich, but he was actually unhappy because of the money and he ended up killing himself. The moral was he was a rich loner having to pay for girls and stuff.

i agree with you up to a certain point. true, money does cause problems, arguements and debt, but what would we do without it? inevitably if money was ever erased from soceity we would find a subsitute. everyone wants a decent future, some money, a house, a car, a partner to be happy with. however these things are only achieveable with the presence of money, or otherwise community would collaspe and we would probably be facing the same fundamental principles as those of communism instead of captialism.

it is true that money alone is not enough, and never will be, but money emphasises human achievement and capability and is the basis of our lives. money simply is a gateway to our dreams

ReputationRep:
    Money has to exist, an ideal world would have resources shared equally amongst the global population, however politics, national pride and greeed means this will never be a reality. but the natural human instinct (at least male) is to gain competitive advatage over you rivals. This means we want to be rich to attract the right people. All the girls I know have said should their careers not work out they'll jus marry some rich fella??

I have to say money has been a strong deciding factor in my choice of career because I want to live a comfortable lifestyle. Its what drives us to achieve more. Its not the entire constituent of happiness but in a competitive world it is the largest factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temi)
    Money has to exist, an ideal world would have resources shared equally amongst the global population, however politics, national pride and greeed means this will never be a reality. but the natural human instinct (at least male) is to gain competitive advatage over you rivals. This means we want to be rich to attract the right people. All the girls I know have said should their careers not work out they'll jus marry some rich fella??

I have to say money has been a strong deciding factor in my choice of career because I want to live a comfortable lifestyle. Its what drives us to achieve more. Its not the entire constituent of happiness but in a competitive world it is the largest factor.

yep completely agree, humans are very much dependant on money whether we like it or not, and the mere force of this habit causes much of our emotions to evolve around financial stuff

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I wasn't say money shouldn't exist I fully understand the reason we need it. Society wouldn't exist otherwise. I just think money is overated. I would like to earn no more than £40k a year then money won't be able to currupt me but I will still be fairly well off.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I wasn't say money shouldn't exist I fully understand the reason we need it. Society wouldn't exist otherwise. I just think money is overated. I would like to earn no more than £40k a year then money won't be able to currupt me but I will still be fairly well off.

lol...sorry if i sounded like i was snapping ur head off

ReputationRep:
    i would like to be happy and have enough to get by. I don't need much (just for living expenses etc) you can find so many things to do for free which are sooo much more fun than paying!

We have a little petting zoo near us which is in the middle of the park and is just the best thing. the animals are fed on whatever people bring them and you can play with the rabbits and guinea pigs etc. I like free things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    i would like to be happy and have enough to get by. I don't need much (just for living expenses etc) you can find so many things to do for free which are sooo much more fun than paying!

We have a little petting zoo near us which is in the middle of the park and is just the best thing. the animals are fed on whatever people bring them and you can play with the rabbits and guinea pigs etc. I like free things
    even though it is free, money is involved like for the food people bring to them

ReputationRep:
    wow ... that surprises me. you never dream about having nice cars? perhaps a house in another country? to go on nice holidays?

While i'm not obsessed with money, i certainly would like to earn as much as possible (without of course sacrificing friends, family and health)

ReputationRep:
    money may not be the source of happiness, but it would sure make things a little easier every now and then.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    yeah i don't think its the fact that people are obsessed with money, more the fact that u can achieve so much with money, so many possibilities and opportunities. It enhances your lifestyle and sometimes with a better lifestyle people will become naturally happier. of course money isn't buying u happiness, it helps to create a better environment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_solitude)
    yeah i don't think its the fact that people are obsessed with money, more the fact that u can achieve so much with money, so many possibilities and opportunities. It enhances your lifestyle and sometimes with a better lifestyle people will become naturally happier. of course money isn't buying u happiness, it helps to create a better environment
    well said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    even though it is free, money is involved like for the food people bring to them
    no, its free run by millennium volunteers using an old aviary that was closed after all the birds escaped apparently lol. They rely on people bringing food, and seeing as the little buggers are just so cut they on't go without.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    well said

lol...thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think that somes it up perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    I think that somes it up perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    money can buy happiness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    money can buy happiness

guess its from different perspective, maybe money can buy u happiness if u think of all the things money can do, but that would depend on individual interpretation

ReputationRep:
    guess its from different perspective, maybe money can buy u happiness if u think of all the things money can do, but that would depend on individual interpretation
    what cant money buy?

and amazing trade its cory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    what cant money buy?

and amazing trade its cory

well i don't see it as buying, more enhancing or improving what u already have and that could be making someone happier, but in the end its not always the money that makes someone happy, nor the present in some cases, more the feeling of being cared for or thought about. whereas urself, i don't see it as buying ur happiness, more u receiving happiness from a certain item of object, the feeling isn't bought

ReputationRep:
    well i don't see it as buying, more enhancing or improving what u already have and that could be making someone happier, but in the end its not always the money that makes someone happy, nor the present in some cases, more the feeling of being cared for or thought about. whereas urself, i don't see it as buying ur happiness, more u receiving happiness from a certain item of object, the feeling isn't bought
    way it crashed, you can buy objects which give you that feeling - like women

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.