The Student Room Group

AQA Specification B Paper 1 Reaction

My reaction: you've gotta be ******' wit' me.

Am I screwed? I went into the exam with all A* coursework but then, well, yeah, the questions:

1. Media texts. Went alright. I didn't really follow the recommended bullet points 'cause they were vague but included points from them all. My best point was about the genre conventions of instantly recognisable typography and columns instilling a sense of truthfulness and trust within the reader.

2. Lolwtf? Are you seriously kidding me? All I got was that this annoying man went to the most Easterly village/port of China and was obsessed with crabs. I just said about the vivid discription and colourful/natural imagery.

3. Olympics. Knew it was gonna come up but it was still hard. I honestly just waffled loads and lacked ordering etc. My conclusion was just in the style of persuasion too: "Should we deny our athletes their determination and courage? Should we deny unity and modern-day celebration? Should we deny people the right to compete and celebrate sport? (Here I was ******* panicking I had 30 seconds left). The Olympics will not only provide us with a fantastic cultural event but aim to tackle the problems of health, education and youth crime.

Halp? And how did it go for you?

Scroll to see replies

Oh, and I forgot to use anecdotes/humour/irony/all that bs.
Me too, I'm really worried now. I just know that I did so badly, and I wasted ally my A* coursework by writing such bad answers.

1. Media texts. Went okay, probably my best section.

2. Non-fiction. Spent way too much time on the first bullet point, but I didn't write anything informative, just waffled. My language analysis was rubbish.

3. Argue, Persuade, Advise. I don't think I answered the question properly, I talked more about sport in general. I did do an anecdote, but have never been able to do humour/irony, and I forgot to include an expert opinion.

Bye bye A*....
TheatreLovely
Me too, I'm really worried now. I just know that I did so badly, and I wasted ally my A* coursework by writing such bad answers.

1. Media texts. Went okay, probably my best section.

2. Non-fiction. Spent way too much time on the first bullet point, but I didn't write anything informative, just waffled. My language analysis was rubbish.

3. Argue, Persuade, Advise. I don't think I answered the question properly, I talked more about sport in general. I did do an anecdote, but have never been able to do humour/irony, and I forgot to include an expert opinion.

Bye bye A*....

Haha your description of how you did is pretty much identical to mine. I spent way too much time on the first bullet point for media texts too.

With the argue thing, I just basically said that, in order, the Olympics and how the stadium will be converted afterwards (versatility; long-term benefits), a bit on how it would tackle health, education and youth crime problems (considering other argument but dismissing them tactfully), then just a rallying MLK-style speech about how opposing the Olympic games is rejecting unity, dedication, motivation and all the other things you think of when you're waffling.

Question 2 was honestly the hardest question I have ever got in an exam period. It was just ridiculous.
Reply 4
I did Foundation paper. I spent about 50 minutes for argue persuade and advice writing about those three bullet points. and good 25 minutes on media text and other time on the reading.

I tried my best and did quite good than past exams.
Reply 5
Iv totally messed up section B as well!
As i did the advice question, and i ended up writting it as a persuasive text!

Iv basically lost all my marks.
I was hoping to get a grade B, but now i'm hoping i'll just be lucky enough to get a grade C, cause of the mistake i have made :/

and i need a grade B for A levels..
k.r.b
Iv totally messed up section B as well!
As i did the advice question, and i ended up writting it as a persuasive text!

Iv basically lost all my marks.
I was hoping to get a grade B, but now i'm hoping i'll just be lucky enough to get a grade C, cause of the mistake i have made :/

and i need a grade B for A levels..

That must've been specification A mate, we didn't get a choice - had to do argue.

But oh well, they're all pretty much the same anyway. Did you outline the problem and give a balanced viewpoint on it?
Reply 7
lol ************* lol sorry << just got a bit over excited..it went soooooo welll..apart from the media being about votes :/ was going to feel asleep..oh and i dun the argue and persaude question which i found most easiers..just one question..it was about persuading to why voting for 16 year olds would be beneficial and argue the allowance of voting..i said how giving them the allownce wil grow a stronger bond between the young and old..which is efective as its no soething everyone wrote..i go for originality..and topersaude i pu in harsh sounding wods to how elders normaly think of us contrasting with soft sounding aliiteration to how we really are..put some personification such as these are th ewords dancing around in their heads...blah blah and ermm added in some persuasion by sayin how us voting would get beneficial for them NO EXPENSES and EMA back and oyster cards :P oh and ermm how us voting may even change lifes of wehn they are old and we are th new generation as there would be more pensions for them wen were in charge and to get us to do this they need to show respect to us in this way of giving us the vote... AND to top it off it was a speech so i put "is its time for change" nearly every end of pharaghraph for that efective use,, and linked this ending to each paragrap to the last conlcusion !! also included facts about how every 1/12 students ahve a govenrment memebr like mentality looool so we are not that stupid and how e already take importt decisions in life like GCSE and future paths ECT.. ieve included alliteration and spelling was top notch ..used semicolons after clearly learning how to use them and varied sentence strucutre. with all this am i on an A*? thanks a lot guys its been a pleasure with your critisms..jsut need to get an A* on next paper on thusday and im good to go

oh and for the facts and opinions i wrote how it engages the reader..and it mentioned 1982 which is the time where many motehrs and fathers would ahve lived through, and this is mainly aimed that them so puting audience into consideration and facts just beings authenticity to it and importance on it..higher issue and all that..langauge i wrote like 2 pages - 1 page perparagraph deep analysis and how the 'X" thingy might be a symbolisimg of stop and ban and daner ahead i we get the right to vote so porud if myself..thats A*? right

and comparisoni said how black is dul while green is nature maybe women wil bring a better society up? and contract between male and feemale..and bold text and wanted to add in caption but my pen RAN OUT..it was 2 PENS :\ oh and i wrote 14 sides..thats 7 full pages hope i got an A*..all i can do is pray that the examiner can read my hand writing and im good to go..only one doubt? i meantioned becomeing part of the govenor or sometihng in my persuasion ,,in the future..and we would give better presents and show mroe love towards the old, who are the governonrs and people who are giving us the vote of today.thatsnot realy on the question but its originality right? thanks a lot guys..this is why i LOVE TSR x
Reply 8
Socially Awkward Penguin
That must've been specification A mate, we didn't get a choice - had to do argue.

But oh well, they're all pretty much the same anyway. Did you outline the problem and give a balanced viewpoint on it?

Im not sure what specification it was but it was aqa paper 1, and the question i did wrong was section b, and i choose the advice question. which went horribly wrong.
TSRlegend
lol ************* lol sorry << just got a bit over excited..it went soooooo welll..apart from the media being about votes :/ was going to feel asleep..oh and i dun the argue and persaude question which i found most easiers..just one question..it was about persuading to why voting for 16 year olds would be beneficial and argue the allowance of voting..i said how giving them the allownce wil grow a stronger bond between the young and old..which is efective as its no soething everyone wrote..i go for originality..and topersaude i pu in harsh sounding wods to how elders normaly think of us contrasting with soft sounding aliiteration to how we really are..put some personification such as these are th ewords dancing around in their heads...blah blah and ermm added in some persuasion by sayin how us voting would get beneficial for them NO EXPENSES and EMA back and oyster cards :P oh and ermm how us voting may even change lifes of wehn they are old and we are th new generation as there would be more pensions for them wen were in charge and to get us to do this they need to show respect to us in this way of giving us the vote... AND to top it off it was a speech so i put "is its time for change" nearly every end of pharaghraph for that efective use,, and linked this ending to each paragrap to the last conlcusion !! also included facts about how every 1/12 students ahve a govenrment memebr like mentality looool so we are not that stupid and how e already take importt decisions in life like GCSE and future paths ECT.. ieve included alliteration and spelling was top notch ..used semicolons after clearly learning how to use them and varied sentence strucutre. with all this am i on an A*? thanks a lot guys its been a pleasure with your critisms..jsut need to get an A* on next paper on thusday and im good to go

oh and for the facts and opinions i wrote how it engages the reader..and it mentioned 1982 which is the time where many motehrs and fathers would ahve lived through, and this is mainly aimed that them so puting audience into consideration and facts just beings authenticity to it and importance on it..higher issue and all that..langauge i wrote like 2 pages - 1 page perparagraph deep analysis and how the 'X" thingy might be a symbolisimg of stop and ban and daner ahead i we get the right to vote so porud if myself..thats A*? right

and comparisoni said how black is dul while green is nature maybe women wil bring a better society up? and contract between male and feemale..and bold text and wanted to add in caption but my pen RAN OUT..it was 2 PENS :\ oh and i wrote 14 sides..thats 7 full pages hope i got an A*..all i can do is pray that the examiner can read my hand writing and im good to go..only one doubt? i meantioned becomeing part of the govenor or sometihng in my persuasion ,,in the future..and we would give better presents and show mroe love towards the old, who are the governonrs and people who are giving us the vote of today.thatsnot realy on the question but its originality right? thanks a lot guys..this is why i LOVE TSR x

Man you probably wrote more there than I did in my whole exam haha! I only did 5/6 sides of A4. But yeah it sounds like you did well. The only point I liked about my essay was my analysis on genre conventions in the media texts.

Ah well, can't wait to drop English!
k.r.b
Im not sure what specification it was but it was aqa paper 1, and the question i did wrong was section b, and i choose the advice question. which went horribly wrong.

Yeah, spec A. Oh well mate, whatever will be will be.
Reply 11
Socially Awkward Penguin
Man you probably wrote more there than I did in my whole exam haha! I only did 5/6 sides of A4. But yeah it sounds like you did well. The only point I liked about my essay was my analysis on genre conventions in the media texts.

Ah well, can't wait to drop English!

LOL same what you picking for alevels..im pikcing biology physics chemistry and further maths..nightmare i knoe :P haha

oh and u see q3 it was about ermm image and language do u write about imagery created through language or the presentation?? thanks :biggrin: oh ur goina get a rep now for the fast response lol :smile:
Reply 12
The Media Texts I thought were fine, and the write to argue and persuade was also alright, but the non-fiction question was just wow xD It was the hardest section out of the 3 no doubt.
TSRlegend
LOL same what you picking for alevels..im pikcing biology physics chemistry and further maths..nightmare i knoe :P haha

oh and u see q3 it was about ermm image and language do u write about imagery created through language or the presentation?? thanks :biggrin: oh ur goina get a rep now for the fast response lol :smile:

Haha I'm doing maths, economics, history and psychology. And hm question 3? Were you on spec A or B mate? You hoping to go into medical sciences or something?
Reply 14
I thought it was pretty good. Was slightly annoyed they picked the Olympic Dream article since we were told it probably wouldn't come up. The unseen text wasn't too bad but it was definitely the hardest of the three and it was pretty disgusting reading about fish that have been 'gutted and splayed.' :puke:
Section B was fine but I'm worried I didn't use enough techniques. Hopefully I've got an A though.
kintu
I did Foundation paper. I spent about 50 minutes for argue persuade and advice writing about those three bullet points. and good 25 minutes on media text and other time on the reading.

I tried my best and did quite good than past exams.

I'm sorry but...I can see why you did foundation! 'I did quite good than past exams'.

Ok, sorry, that was really mean of me :/ I hope you get a good result, glad you tried your best :smile: xx
Reply 16
God sounds like your one was quite hard. Mine seems quite easy compared. I had spec B Mature, gone back to college as messed them up first time round. we had to compare 2 media texts and say what the content was and whether they were fact or opinion and also comment on the presentational devices used. for the second part there was a short novel about refugees and had to say how the writer keeps the reader interested. and the argue, persuade advise was write an article on a holiday destination where you know well and persuade them to visit that place. Well i'm please i got my exam and not one about Olympics or voting
Reply 17
My section B went to hell! Section A was alright though..
Reply 18
nat1983
God sounds like your one was quite hard. Mine seems quite easy compared. I had spec B Mature, gone back to college as messed them up first time round. we had to compare 2 media texts and say what the content was and whether they were fact or opinion and also comment on the presentational devices used. for the second part there was a short novel about refugees and had to say how the writer keeps the reader interested. and the argue, persuade advise was write an article on a holiday destination where you know well and persuade them to visit that place. Well i'm please i got my exam and not one about Olympics or voting

What did you write for the Non-Fiction (unseen one)? And how much did u write? I was rushing it so bad and only got a bit in for it :/
Reply 19
Boy oh boy, where do I begin?

I think I've completely messed up. I don't know what came over me. For the media text, I was caught out by the "Olympic dreams - now it's our turn" because I was not expecting that. I covered the four bullet points but I don't know whether I picked out the correct quotes. I think I did average in the media text.

For the non fiction text, that was awful. Worst piece of text. Found it incredibly dull and was just too discriptive to the point that my eye balls were aching. I mean I understand articles have to be descriptive, but too me it looked as though the person who wrote that text went way over the top. Found it very hard to pick out the information, altough in the end I did. I don't know whether I explained them in detail :frown:

Then for the "Argue, Persuade, Advice " section, I think I did okay in that. I just Wish I spent more time on that. Looking back now I could have wrote much much more and in much more detail. For some odd reason I completely forgot to follow the tips, such as adding metaphors, similies, alliteration etc to push the grades up. The only thing I think I remember adding was a couple of rethorical questions.

My overall main worry is that I gave "C" standard answers rather than "A/B" standard answers :frown: Oh well, I hope I do well in the second paper.

Latest

Trending

Trending