Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What would you define as being "fat"? Is it when someone is diagnosed as being obese, and their weight is effecting their health? Or can you say someone is "fat" if they are deemed to be, say, above the average clothes size.
    And who has the right to decide what size doesnt look good? Is it media influence causing young people to worry endlessly about their size, or will it always be a personal issue?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has a right to deem someone fat - it doesn't really affect the other person as long as it's not soved in their face so it's not a problem. I consider fat to be above the average clothes size. I probably am influenced by the media but I still think fat people look disgusting without their clothes on and that aint media influenced.

ReputationRep:
    Fat's a business, they make billions from pushing the vanity products. Stop reading Heat and Cosmo and turn off Trinny and Susanna.

When the three most important things to young women are their looks, their size and their clothes, they become a terrific bore and waste lots of money on rubbish that could better be spent on me!

ReputationRep:
    But this is my point! Everyone talks about being FAT, like they have the right to decide how someone should look, hasnt society made people be so self concious about their looks, to the point it is causing illness?
    Look at all these stories shoved in our faces, of "fat camps" "obese children" and the likes of famous people - lyndsey lohan and nicole richie, shrinking before our eyes! If this is what its going to be like for years to come, how are we meant to teach younger generations to accept themselves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Fat's a business, they make billions from pushing the vanity products. Stop reading Heat and Cosmo and turn off Trinny and Susanna.

To be fair, Trinny and Suzannah never say rude things about the woman's body. They don't call them fat, and they don't seem to consider one body shape better than another. They just know which clothes work well on each person. It's always the wardrobe they mock, not the body.

And they usually compliment the people who think that they have an awful body anyway.

Hm.

ReputationRep:
    Fat for me is obese not necessarily overweight because that would depend on by how much. I hardly say x is fat anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_e_x)
    But this is my point! Everyone talks about being FAT, like they have the right to decide how someone should look, hasnt society made people be so self concious about their looks, to the point it is causing illness?
    Look at all these stories shoved in our faces, of "fat camps" "obese children" and the likes of famous people - lyndsey lohan and nicole richie, shrinking before our eyes! If this is what its going to be like for years to come, how are we meant to teach younger generations to accept themselves?
    Obesity has genuine health implications, though - and it's very much on the increase. To talk about it in that context is completely warranted. You can't just pretend that people who are so overweight that they can hardly move and have a life expectation of 40 are OK and should just accept themselves.

However, I do agree that we live in a society which seems obsessed with size for aesthetic, rather than health, reasons, and it's sad that so many people let this media perception rule their lives. Personally, seeing an article about a skinny celebrity just makes me want to eat cake in protest, rather than starve myself .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    To be fair, Trinny and Suzannah never say rude things about the woman's body. They don't call them fat, and they don't seem to consider one body shape better than another. They just know which clothes work well on each person. It's always the wardrobe they mock, not the body.

And they usually compliment the people who think that they have an awful body anyway.

Hm.
    Ah well (*ignorance*), substitute 'Fat Celebs' or 'Make-over mind-numb'.

I am a bloke--NEVER CONFUSED!

ReputationRep:
    looks are important - get used to it

ReputationRep:
    i would say fat is more geared towards obese. If your a bit tubby then its no biggy but if you think about it, true fatties (ie >25% body fat according to me) are selfish...

massive burden on nhs which we have to pay for and if you think about it, it only worsens our worldwide problem - half of the world is dying from starvation and the other half is dying form eating too much.

finally, it aint nice sat next to a large person on a bus when spaces are small as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)

Hm.
    When it comes to Trinny and Susanna I usually vote with the off switch.

ReputationRep:
    Its probably worth bearing in mind that a lot of people who are obese are that way for a reason. Its possible to get tubby because of eating too much, but if you're eating enough to become obese, then there is probably something that is underlying, rather than just 'greed'.

ReputationRep:
    massive burden on nhs which we have to pay for and if you think about it, it only worsens our worldwide problem - half of the world is dying from starvation and the other half is dying form eating too much.
    So are smoking and binge drinking. Should smokers and binge drinkers be scorned? Besides, there is enough food for everybody. It's only because it's not distributed properly that we have famines in some places.

At least eating food is a necessity. So in that sense, it's easier to become ill by being overweight and opposed to smoking and drinking alcohol, which aren't necessary for life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKR)
    Yes, to your standard moron. If anyone is interested in a paradigmatic example then maybe TKR would be kind enough to post his address.

MB

ReputationRep:
    fat is about self perceptions. you can have people who are 'large' and dont consider themselves as 'fat' and people who are very slim and do consider themselves as 'fat.'

ReputationRep:
    When they are forced to waddle. Some overweight people can handle their extra fat okay and may even suit being chubby, but there's a distinction there somewhere when they just start looking a bit unfortunate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKR)
    lol. anyway, maybe you can define someone as being fat when someone of the opposite sex fails to see the person as even vaguely physically attractive, no matter how hard they try. Try it on ppl you know and you'll see what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    if you cant see their ribs, they are fat

ReputationRep:
    true fatties (ie >25% body fat according to me) are selfish...
    Why are those people selfish? What if they use food as a comfort food to help stop feeling depressed? It doesnt just mean that if someone is fat, its because they cant help themselves from eating the whole box of Roses instead of just 2! I think im fat, and no i dont think that im vain or that i expect someone to say to me: oh no, you look gorgeous, you skinny thing!
    Society does impose certain "rules" so to speak, about the way you should look and what size you should be. I do think people spend too much time watching stupid reality tv like Trisha (for gods sake who watches that crap?) and Jerry-Crappy-Springer. If you read a girls magazine and they advertise the latest winter clothes, what sized models do they use? A size 16, or a size 8? The latter obviously. Society has brainwashed people into thinking that if you're above a certain weight/size then it means you are overweight and should be feeling bad and guilty for every bite that you eat.
    When i was around 12, i admit i was rather big for my age and size and a family friend told me, rather harshly, to lose weight - so i did. I felt really happy that i could actually fit into size 10 clothes, but i could feel people continously staring at me when i ate and looked at what i wore.. as a result, my self confidence suffered greatly and so i started eating junk (gave instant pleasure) and obviously the weight piled on. Ever since then, ive been so bloody self-conscious about everything that i do.. and i blame it on society and the media. We've been brought up to thinking that big is ugly, which to a certain extent is indeed true concerning obese people, but people who are just a bit podgy or dont have the "normal" washboard stomach are also characterised as being ugly as well - unless they have gorgeous looks.. diff story!
    Basically what im trying to get at, rather long windedly, is that i feel its society's fault that "fat" people are being criticised soo much. At my school, all my classmates are soo ****ing superficial so they think fat is when you have a bit of flab.. i can imagine what they call me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jr2007)
    i would say fat is more geared towards obese. If your a bit tubby then its no biggy but if you think about it, true fatties (ie >25% body fat according to me) are selfish...

finally, it aint nice sat next to a large person on a bus when spaces are small as it is.
    Oh well, I'm glad I'm below 25% body fat and I meet your standards, you opinionated arse. :rolleyes:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.