Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody tell me if the following subjects are appropriate for a cambridge physics course?

Intensive Courses:
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Political Science

Examination Subjects:
    Maths
    Physics
    English
    Political Science

Normally, it is not possible to take more than 2 intensive courses in Germany.

Would you recommend an open application for EU applicants, especially if one is not sure about the qualifications likely to be achieved?

Thx

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    you'll be absolutely fine with your Physics course. Cambridge is quite aware of how the German Abitur system works.
    I will be a Part 1A Physical NatSci this year and my German compulsory subjects were Chemistry, Physics, as well as the usual Maths, English + German.
    The only thing you will have to do before you start your course (if you get an offer) is teaching yourself lots and lots of Maths, since the British A level syllabus is much broader than ours- and I'm not even mentioning further Maths!
    It's quite tough to answer your question about open applications. I can understand your concerns about choosing a college knowing very little or nothing about them. However, if you make an open application you might end up in a college you don't like that much. I could give you some advice with the choice of colleges and the application in general, if you want. Just write me a message.

(Original post by javalinnn)
    Can somebody tell me if the following subjects are appropriate for a cambridge physics course?

Intensive Courses:
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Political Science

Examination Subjects:
    Maths
    Physics
    English
    Political Science

Normally, it is not possible to take more than 2 intensive courses in Germany.

Would you recommend an open application for EU applicants, especially if one is not sure about the qualifications likely to be achieved?

Thx

ReputationRep:
    The qualifications you need to get in are likely to be fairly similar regardless of which college you apply to so you should make a choice depending on whether or not you like the sound of the college as opposed to what you think they'll ask you for.

I wouldn't recommend doing an open application. I did one and while I'm happy with the college I'm at I could well have ended up at somewhere like Girton (bleargh!) Look at the prospectus/alternative prospectus and ask people here about colleges you're interested in. Also try and some over here to have a look at them if you can. At least this way you'll know something about the college you're applying to instead of having to find out what it's like after the open application process has given you one.

ReputationRep:
    As already mentioned, the intensive physics course is sufficient for NatSci physics at Cambridge. Apart from physics you will also have to take 3 other subjects in your first year e.g. maths, chemistry and something else. For the maths option you will _have_ to work do some preliminary work, especially if you only had a Grundkurs. I applied for maths with a course somewhere between the standard of the Grund- and Leistungskurs and it is quite some work to catch up, but with a bit of motivation it is definitely doable.

As with the college choice ... go to Trinity In any case, have a look at the Cambridge website and make sure to ask the admissions office to send you a prospectus. I think all colleges are familiar with the Abitur and if you're in doubt, just send them a mail!

ReputationRep:
    Thx guys for your help.

I suppose I would have to do some catching up in maths even if I studied in Germany, coz a basic course doesn't bring you near to what you need at University.

I've also thought about Trinity but I wasn't sure if the numbers were in my favour. Besides, I'm not sure if I'm going to reach the average mark that might be required by a conditional offer.

Has anybody got additional experience in that matter?

Maybe there is someone that can tell me more about the theoretical physics course because that is what I want to take.

Greetz
    David

ReputationRep:
    Maybe there is someone that can tell me more about the theoretical physics course because that is what I want to take.
    You have to be good at maths. To do maths at 1B the guidance for DoSes says you should get at least 60% in Part 1A. My DoS doesn't like people doing it unless they get a first but he's a bit moany.

The stuff about the Theoretical Physics courses in the third year says that lots of people take who shouldn't and then fail because they're really hard.

ReputationRep:
    If you intend to do theoretical physics, have you considered maths + 25% physics? A lot of people apply for the maths course and then specialize in theoretical physics.

[edit]Make sure you get 1.3 at least. Some colleges like to give out 1.2 or 1.1 (Trinity) as the standard offer. I forgot to mention that if you apply for maths you will also have to take STEP, a rather demanding maths exam at the beginning of July. However, if you STEP grades are convincing, they might not take the Abitur too seriously (although 1.3 is the minimum!).

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to change the choice of course after the first year or so? I suppose that in the first year the theoretical course is quite similar to the usual physics course.

Is it compulsory to take the STEP test if you do physics or is it voluntary?

I think the best (realistic) average I can reach is 1.3. I'll do my best...

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to change the choice of course after the first year or so? I suppose that in the first year the theoretical course is quite similar to the usual physics course.

Is it compulsory to take the STEP test if you do physics or is it voluntary?

I think the best (realistic) average I can reach is 1.3. I'll do my best...
    You will be a NatSci anyway if you do Physics. So don't worry about switching within the Tripos. http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/natsci.../ps/structure/
    I think getting a 1,3 Abitur offer is pretty rare and if you get one you will probably be asked to get 14/15 points in the written Abitur examinations of all your sciences. Most Colleges give 1,0-1,1 offers plus 14/15 points in the Abitur examinations of relevant subjects (that's at least what they say on the Cambridge website).

ReputationRep:
    What would be a good back-up choice? I considered Imperial or St.Andrews. But I won't come to Britain for an average university, coz I can find plenty of those in Germany!

Would be an asset if i didn't have to come over for an interview, because they're gonna be right in between my finals. Which I obviously wouldn't like that much.

ReputationRep:
    What would be a good back-up choice? I considered Imperial or St.Andrews. But I won't come to Britain for an average university, coz I can find plenty of those in Germany!
    Imperial and St. Andrews are probably quite good choices, although I didn't apply to the latter (my friend's there, though) and living in London's quite expensive. Manchester was my second choice and has the biggest Physics department in the country or something as well as Manchester being cool. They also have a very nice admissions director.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial has a good physics department and they work you quite hard there. The maths course (standard offer is 1.5 with 14 in maths/physics I think, no interviews for EU students) has a lot of physics modules so it would be worth a look if you already know that you'd like to do theoretical physics.

I forgot to mention that if you should decide to apply for maths with the physics option in Cambridge, you shoul be prepared to be asked some tough questions like why didn't you take maths as a Leistungskurs (unless of course, an LK wasn't offered at your school).

Good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyro)
    Imperial has a good physics department and they work you quite hard there. The maths course (standard offer is 1.5 with 14 in maths/physics I think, no interviews for EU students) has a lot of physics modules so it would be worth a look if you already know that you'd like to do theoretical physics.

I forgot to mention that if you should decide to apply for maths with the physics option in Cambridge, you shoul be prepared to be asked some tough questions like why didn't you take maths as a Leistungskurs (unless of course, an LK wasn't offered at your school).

Good luck with your application!
    Well, I surely won't take maths with physics option, but the other way round!

How about Durham or Warwick? Heard that they r pretty good too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm also applying from Germany and wondered whether anyone of you could tell me how many Abitur modules I have to add on the UCAS form, only those four that are examined, all those from grade 13 or even those from grade 12 as they count for the final grade :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desemejante)
    Hi

I'm also applying from Germany and wondered whether anyone of you could tell me how many Abitur modules I have to add on the UCAS form, only those four that are examined, all those from grade 13 or even those from grade 12 as they count for the final grade :confused:
    Have you tried emailing the admissions officer(s) at the college(s) you're interested in?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, I did, all five, but so far got no response

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.